dark screen?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dissonance, Dec 27, 2007.

1. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

So a friend in way to far away was having some computer issues.

Background: They have a 2002/2003 eMachines with an LCD monitor. They leave the computer on all the time, maybe only shut it down once every few months, if that. It is used very lightly, primarily just internet browsing and email with a minimal amount of pr0n viewing. They use Norton but know they have a number of viruses. I gave them a few ways to get rid of their pesky ones but don't know if they have done that yet.

Problem: Earlier in the week their monitor became extremely dark, to the point of not being able to really use it. They could see that there was an image but were not able to really make out what it was (no programs were open, just at their desktop). They turned off the computer and left it for a few days and then called me. I had her look at the rear of the case to see if the video was integrated or a card (it was integrated). In that process she bumped of few cables and then proceeded to turn it on. It booted up and ran 'normal' then but I was wondering if anyone knew what happen? Could it have just been the cable bumping that "fixed" it?

Cliffs: 2002/2003 eMachines w\ LCD and integrated video produced extremely dark image.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
  2. dissonance

nothing?

If it were the video/mobo, would it be intermitant or always suck?

3. lightsareout

lightsareout New Member

what type of monitor is it?

edit my bad. It may be that the backlight on the LCD died

4. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Could have been a loose connection.

Disconnect the monitor cable and re-seat it.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If they leave it on for that long, I sure hope they program it to shut off the screen after a few minutes of disuse. Not that it matters in this case, though, because what you're describing is a dead LCD backlight.

6. dissonance

Thanks for the input. So I guess I'll tell them to plan on buying a new monitor here in the near future when it goes out for good. Just to be sure, I'll tell them to unplug and reconnect the monitor cable to be sure.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Sure, why not.