GUN DAO sucks

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Jefferson Darcy, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Jefferson Darcy

Jefferson Darcy Ol' shit chest

:mad:

My dept. issued Sig Sauer P226 is altered to be DAO and it sucks. I should have picked the Glock 19.

2. ASUMatte0

ASUMatte0 Guest

what is DAO? i am gun-stupid :dunno:

3. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Double Action Only, ASU.

Does it, Jeff? i've never used a SIG DAO, my 226 is the regular action. The first shot DA pull is pretty long and breaks around 10lbs, but i didn't think it was too bad. The more you shoot it, the better it gets. Far as i know, the DAO is the same pull. Does NYPD modify the SIGs trigger too? i know they beef up the Glock triggers from the stock 5.5lbs into the the 10lbs+ range.

i dunno man, from all those horror stories about these Phase 3 "NYPD" malfunctions, i think i'd lean to the SW5946 if not the P226. :big grin:

4. Jefferson Darcy

Not sure if they modify the trigger. The DAO configuration is straight from the sig factory, they make them special for NYPD. Same with the NY glock trigger.

I have been hearing alot about Glock malfunctions lately tho :dunno:

I'm just pissed they couldnt just leave the 226 the way it was intended. Oh well I guess I'll get used to it.

5. Jefferson Darcy

:eek: I'm reading about all the malfuctions with NYPD G19's at www.glocktalk.com right now...

maybe I made the right decision and will just have to get used to the trigger :dunno:

6. kellyclan

:dunno: It's too bizarre. i mean, i've got a 17, a 27, and 23 and between them, i've put over 15,000 rounds with a SINGLE malfunction in the G17 which was the cheap reload ammo's fault. Stories saying an ESU guy had 2 different 19's fail 3 times in two days or something like that. :wtf: Which Glock is NY buying their guns from, yanno?

7. Jefferson Darcy

I'm reading a hughe thread about it at glocktalk.com

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85359&perpage=25&highlight=nypd&pagenumber=3

The only thing I can think of is that its that NY trigger, but I dunno how that would make it jam. Could be poor maintnance too. Heard some funny stories when I was at rodmans neck the other day....

8. kellyclan

Yeah, i'm over there. Haven't had anything to say, but i've been reading that. Did they even tell you guys about this stuff in the academy firearms section? i'd think they ought to have!

The strangest thing about the whole thing isn't even that it's almost exclusive to NYPD though, it's more that they still haven't come up with a 100% cause, be it weapon, ammo or user. Yanno?

9. Jefferson Darcy

When we selected weapons at the very beginning of the academy, the FTS instructors who were there mentioned it, but only because someone asked. They really gave no information whatsoever beyound the size and weight of each gun cuz they said if they pull for one brand its considered corruption :rolleyes:.

From what I understand, the problem is NOT exclusive to NYPD, but it seems that way for 2 reasons.

1. Sheer number. NYPD has the largest concentration of G19s in use in the US if not the world. Any problems that exist would definatly show up in a group that large.

2. Record keeping. If some guy who owns a G19 has a "phase III malfuction" he might just fix it himself and no one will ever know. If it happens in NYPD, it will be recorded.

I don't think its happened in other agencies as much as in NYPD, but then no other agency has as many in use.

It COULD be that they were using the NY2 trigger with the 8 pound connector, which is not approved by Glock, but I think they have stopped that and are now using the NY2 with the stock connector.