MMA dangers of the sport

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by adrenalin112, Sep 11, 2007.

1. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

After this weekend of football and the horrible tragedy that happened to Kevin Everett of the bills, its easy to appreciate the safety that is offered by our favorite sport of mma. A sport that is still taboo to most of America due to its brutality.

Of course its inevitable that someone will suffer a catastrophic incident in the cage one day, hell even basketball players have collapsed on the court. But there are so many precautionary steps taken to ensure the safety of the mma competitor, and hopefully this translates into the long term.

Mma is still in its infancy, so who knows what long term effects will plague the retired fighter. What will become of the bodies and minds of don Frye and ken shamrock. Two guys that were known for having brawls and putting their bodies and heads through hell for extended periods of time. Hopefully, no fighter ends up like Ali, earl Campbell, or like many other NFL stars that suffered multiple concussions which led to depression and suicide.

2. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Boxing has gotta be way worse for head injurys.
    Steroid abuse has gotta be an issue though.

3. acidix

acidix Ua mau, ke ea o ka `aina, i ka pono

Boxing is very very dangerous as a fighter can continue if he can stand back up. In MMA if you get knocked down cold even for a few seconds the fight is over.

This site documents all of the boxing fatalities in the world. There are a staggering number of boxers who die in the ring. This doesn't even take into consideration brain damage and permanent injury.

http://ejmas.com/jcs/jcsart_svinth_a_0700.htm

4. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

on a side note, was having a discussion with a partner yesterday about judo vs. bjj injuries. he thought bjj suffered more, i thought judo. anyone have some stats?

5. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

i can only guess, but i would assume BJJ has more injuries, but on a lesser scale. Judo would have less injuries, but they would be far more dabilitating injuries.

6. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

I dont forsee that degree of injury in mma, football is just so high impact all the time. Even with the pads, when you have two 240lb guys running fullspeed into each other it gets brutal.

7. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

anyone remember the gruesome vid of the guy trying to pass guard/open other person's guard by twisting them over and bending their back in half? :eek3: i can imagine great injury, easily, but it's combat sport. you dont go in with the idea that you'll never be injured.

i've been injured far more often in judo than bjj. never been hurt rolling actually.

8. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

What concerns me is that fighters suffer frequent flash ko's where they can get clocked and bounce off the mat and regain defense multiple times in the fight but still take a number of repeated shots to the head.

In boxing or mma Nate quarry would have been out against Franklin.
    But think about Jeremy horn against liddell, same shit would have happened in both sports. That night couldn't have been good for horn's brain.

9. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

how many people died in MMA, or boxing or football etc,,,

America's Most Dangerous Jobs
    Job Number Of Fatalities
    Timber Cutters 105
    Fishermen 52
    Pilots 230
    Structural Metal Workers47
    Extractive Occupations 69
    Roofers 65
    Construction Workers288
    Truck Drivers852

http://www.forbes.com/2002/09/03/0903worksafe.html

10. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

But there are also WAY more people doing those jobs than people in MMA or boxing so statistically it makes sense they'd have more deaths. I'd like to see the death rates for Muay Thai in Thailand. They have something like 100,000 fighters or something.

11. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

I will say though, that I have had many "close" calls in BJJ while rolling dealing with my neck/spine area.

:noes:

12. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

My instructor doesnt compete anymore because someone got him in a can opener, pulled him into a sitting position, and with both hands on the back of his head slightly jumped into the air and pushed all his force down and screwed up his neck

13. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

Shit like that really does freak me out, I usually don't fuck around with submissions when it comes to deal with regions around the neck and will tap out instantly but I usually mess up my neck during scrambles when I roll a wrong way and an instant stinging pain will shoot up in my neck making me immobile for a couple seconds.

14. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

Steroid use is an issue in every professional sport.