MMA dana white sounds of on cbs nbc deals

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by The Ripper, Mar 31, 2008.

1. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

* He ripped into the DREAM promotion, calling it minor-league and said that Mirko was tuning his game up in the minor league so that he could come back to the Octagon where the real competition is.
    * White was asked about Nobuyuki Sakakibara and if he had heard that Sakakibara went into soccer. White brought up that they were suing DSE, so no further comment could be made.
    * Dana said that that EXC was collapsing as an organization and that they had to take whatever deal CBS offered them. UFC would not accept a bad television deal and that they are open to negotiating with anyone.
    * He compared the deal Strikeforce made with NBC to that of television shopping (infomercials).

In an update regarding the lawsuit filed by PRIDE FC Worldwide Holdings LLC against DSE Inc. and Nobuyuki Sakakibara, the next scheduled court hearing is set for April 28th at 9 AM in front of judge Mark Denton in Clark County (Las Vegas) court. On 3/24, the defendant filed a 16-page motion to dismiss the case.
    Video Here:http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/fight/...t00016739.html

2. damiand

damiand Proceed

Hes such a spin master...

EXC was not anywhere near collapsing, street certified was a huge hit. And ofcourse they took whatever deal CBS offered, you dont fuck with a company like CBS when youre a developing fight org.

3. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

exactly they had nothing to lose by joining with them and with any contract they get to get their ball rolling they will be out there. look what having a basic channel did for IFL

4. damiand

damiand Proceed

Best part is he used to RAIL on Jerry Millen for doing this with Pride.

5. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

most people clicking the buy button on the PPV's have no idea any of this shit is going on so it doesn't matter.

UFC has a monster of a show on Spike and everyone of the dickheads on the show win or lose ends up on PPV's and people just fucking love the hell out of it.

So many of the things i hate about the UFC are what makes them so big so what can i say, dana is a slick mother fucker

6. Hitman23

Hitman23 New Member

Except for the fact that he is absolutely right as far as Gary Shaw and Elite XC are concerned. Gary Shaw is just taking a ride on the gravy train that mma has become. He took the CBS deal because he is greedy. He doesnt want to to take the time to grow the orginization into anything respectable, before packaging it for mass consumption. Having Kimbo Slice headline the first mma show on network television, is an absolute travesty. I cant imagine anyone disagreeing with this after watching the "street certified" show in Miami. It was definitely more spectacle than sport, and in the end thats all Elite XC will ever be. I guess I just hate the fact that these casual fans first taste of mma will be a card with very few (if any) top ten fighters on it. Dana isnt holding out because he is stupid or greedy. He just knows that you cant build long term success on a foundation of sand.

Cliffs: no matter how much of a dana white/ufc hater you are, this elitexc/cbs deal is the epitomy of mma not putting its best foot forward.

7. CallSecurityNow

CallSecurityNow OT Supporter

Well said hitman

8. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

/puts on flame suit

I'm an MMA noob, let me put that out there first. The first MMA fight i saw was the season finale of TUF 1. The fight between Forest and Stephan is what got me into watching MMA. I would say that was more spectical than sport. Then i caught the show during the marathon days for the successive seasons. The first PPV event i bought was for the Ortiz/Shamrock fight after their TUF season. Again, i would say that particular Ortiz/Shamrock fight was more spectical than sport.

After that i started getting the PPV events each month and as my understanding of MMA matured i began to enjoy different aspects of the fights. At first, i just wanted to see some bloody knockouts, now i dig everything from knockouts to the surprise armbars and i love watching the ground work.

So, even though the CBS deal is not the "best foot" of MMA to the well rounded MMA fan, it might very well turn a lot of people on to MMA (the same way the TUF 1 finale did for me). Its kind of like beer, you have to suffer through cheap shit before you can appreciate how tasty good beer can be.

So i guess what i'm saying is that you need surefire exciting fights to grow new fans. And by exciting, i mean exciting to people who have never watched MMA before.

Just my $0.02. :dunno:

9. Bausk

Bausk New Member

No worries, this forum is full of MMA snobs. Myself included.

10. kilian

kilian You've got quite a treasure there in that Horadric OT Supporter

very well said, including the beer analogy.

I got started watching mma because my wrestling coach invited us over and I got into it because I saw karo fight (judoka :love:) and then saw monson fight on tv and recognized the things I was learning in wrestling and the sparse jiu jitsu we were doing on the side.