MMA Dana White on Babalu's return, splitting classes between UFC & WEC, Kid vs. Faber...

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Atmosphere, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2008/04/22/random-notes-dana-white-on-a-number-of-different-topics/

There was an article posted on the Canadian section of Yahoo! sports on Saturday about UFC president, Dana White. White provided nuggets of information about a variety of different topics.

The part I found the most interesting was when White was asked about if there were plans for the UFC to install a featherweight division (145 lbs.).

From Yahoo!:

White says the UFC has no plans to introduce a 145-pound weight class. “That’s why we bought the WEC (World Extreme Cagefighting).”

In fact, he said they are going to take steps to make the two circuits more distinct.

“We’re going to make the WEC the smaller weights and the UFC will be the heavier weights. We’ll probably take some of the guys in the higher weights, the champions over there and bring them into UFC. We’re still trying to figure that out.”

WEC features 135-(bantamweight) and 145-pound (featherweight) weight classes as well as 155, 170, 185 and 205. The UFC has 155, 170, 185, 205 and heavyweight.

Make of that what you will, but I’ve always thought it was pointless for the WEC to have a 205 lbs. weight class and from what I gather from White’s comments it seems like they are about to eradicate that weight class. I don’t know if that applies to middleweight as well but currently the WEC’s middleweight division really only features Paulo Filho, Chael Sonnen and to a lesser extent, Bryan Baker.

White also covered a number of topics which were lumped in at the bottom of the article. The information is fairly cluttered so I’ll try and lay it out in easy to read dot points.

The UFC is still in negotiations with former UFC heavyweight champion, Andrei Arlovski

White says former light-heavyweight title challenger, Renato ‘Babalu’ Sobral will be welcomed back to the UFC provided he gets a few “quality wins under his belt”.

White dismissed the idea of a women’s division, saying their aren’t enough elite female fighters out there.

White said he’d love to see a fight between Urijah Faber and Norifumi ‘Kid’ Yamamoto, but the Japanese fighters comes with a big price tag.

White said he blocked UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva from meeting boxer Roy Jones Jr. in a boxing match because Silva is not a boxer. “I’ll put him against Anderson Silva if he wants to fight MMA. Anderson Silva is not a boxer. Boxing is not what we do.”

2. phuree

phuree New Member

Good stuff.

3. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Frilly toothpicks?

I'm for it.

4. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

What if I like alfalfa sprouts on my sandwich?

5. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

i'm surprised he is letting babalu come back after he talked shit on the UFC.

6. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

the division needs him

kinda sorta :o

7. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Babalu might give Anderson a run for his money.

I like your thinking faggot.

8. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

needs more gatekeepers :o

also, there aren't any LHW with babalu's wrestling/grappling pedigree in the UFC...that i can think of anyway

9. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

oddly enough it does. look at the position we're in now, chuck has to retire soon, rashad has gotta drop down, tito is leaving, Houston might have fizzled, irvin cant stay healthy, babalu would be a good addition.

but yes, they need to work on 185 much more.

10. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

hard to say where the division is heading in the near future. it's a huge scramble at this point

there's also shogun, but hopefully he gets his act together

11. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

there have been talks about them dropping. there are good LHWs no doubt, but there is still a lot in the air at the moment

12. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver OT Supporter

Hmm, I thought AA is supposed to be on that Fedor v Sylvia card? Unless that's bs I can't imagine the UFC taking any of the guys associated with that card/org/whatever it is.

13. Optamix

Optamix New Member

The next person that fights Houston needs to wear a superman suit to the ring.
    It would be epic.

14. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

i'm just saying that the dust hasn't settled in the division, and the future isn't very clear

and as i stated before, there isn't anybody in the UFC LHW div with Babalu's wrestling/grappling pedigree, so i think the division is better with him

15. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

Tito's out the door

i'm talking about the combination of wrestling and subs. lots of fighters have either wrestling or submissions, but not necessarily both. IMO, i think that Babalu is a welcome (re)addition to the mix, albeit he probably won't be a title contender

16. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

yeah, he'd be a good addition to the MWs, but i don't imagine that he would cut that much weight

17. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

point was, how many are available to fight right now?

18. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

there's a reason for that

19. Phill A. Peno

Phill A. Peno It's Filipino, stupid. OTTC, Cycling Crew, WRX Cr OT Supporter

Didn't White say Babalu would never be back 'cause of what he did? I'm to lazt to search...

20. Gary Busey

Gary Busey Guest

fuck dana. rly.

21. f-g

f-g OT Supporter

faber > kid

22. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

im glad, i like watching babalu fight...except for his fight against lidell...that was a short UFC party night

23. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

nope

24. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

wow, i'm surprised there isn't more commotion about possibly sending the lighter weight classes to the WEC and heavier fighters to the UFC

25. teep

teep New Member

i think he said 155 would still be part of UFC. so there would still be sherk, penn, etc. It's just that they have no plans of introducing 145 and lighter to the UFC. that's reserved for WEC