MMA DANA WHITE being an idiot interview

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Kuet, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Kuet

Kuet New Member

ok so we all know about the recent salary payouts that dana and co. have been giving out.... 2 freaking g's to some people, makes me angry that someone trained so hard, and only get 2g's in supposedly the " big show " in North America. The more i hear about this crap the more i want pride to take over. Anyways heres the article.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=2645&zoneid=13

2. Kuet

Kuet New Member

i hate the part where dana is trying to justify all his fighters get paid fairly, then states how franklin just bought a house, of course he is doing good, hes the MW champ... fuck what about the undercard guys ? bullshit. Not in it for the money?
    Bullshit.

3. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Actually Franklin gets paid shit from his contract, compared to what he could make. That's because he signed such a long contract well before he "blew up". Dana got him alot of side deals, bonuses, and sponsorships to make up for it.

I don't expect the 2,000/2,000 guys get the same treatment though.

4. xinster

xinster New Member

10k should be the minimum cap. It should be given to the guy who's first time fighting the ufc and loses

5. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

If the last UFC drew about what UFC 52 did in PPV and gate revenues, 30% went to the fighters.

Take out the main event's "headliner" purse from the gate and the payouts, and that 30% drops to 9% (NINE :eek3: ) percent. Which is truly embarassing.

The part I thought was completely disgusting was that Babalu was paid $21K for the fight. If Dana thinks that the UFC is the top of the MMA food chain, wouldn't he pay a fighter in a championship bout at least enough to buy, oh, I dunno... a new car?

I'm not wealthy by any means, but I sure as hell couldn't afford to quit my job and train for 3-4 months for a fight where my share of the purse is $21,000. I don't know many others who could, unless they're 20 years old and live at home.

That's almost criminal.

6. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I wouldn't mind getting paid $20k 3 times a year to fight pro. Not much else they do besides eat, sleep, and train. Hell 1 fight a month for $5k and I'd probably be a pro fighter. I could survive on that if all I was doing was training and fighting... not that I'm good enough.

But at the UFC level, the "Superbowl of MMA", the pay needs to be stepped up BIG TIME. Hopefully the IFL and Pride USA really put pressure on the UFC to up the stakes.

7. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

I'm not trying to justify how much the UFC pays it's fighters, it's obviously way to low, but... also take into consideration that there are a lot more people other than the fighters who have to get paid, there's the doctors, security, advertising, etc....

8. Acesn8s

Acesn8s The Deadman's Hand

And you know that the money spent on the house was from sponsorships, not purse winnings.

9. JumboJym69

JumboJym69 New Member

I love that Liddell gets 250K and Babalu gets 21, that is bull shit

10. m2e

m2e OT Supporter

hopefully a new company takes over the US market for MMA

pride, wfa, or ifl :x:

11. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

I want to know what the ppv buy diffrence is between a UFC ppv and a big boxing match. Are there really that many more buys for the boxing match that the boxers can get 10 mil + for a fight?

UFC is underpaying a lot and supposidly they have debts from when it was not doing so well, and it is a buisness for profit but they cant pay that and expect to keep a top level stable of fighters.

12. GSPFAN

GSPFAN New Member

Everyone should make enough to afford their normal lifestyle let's say 50-60k to live on their own. I think fighters making millions is as stupid as other atheletes or Hollywood people. Why do we put these people up on a pedistal?
    PPV should be $9.99 and then 5 times as many people would watch. Dana doesn't need millions either. The probably is as fans we love to watch and are generally willing to pay whatever to watch. Look at the cost of tickets! Holy shit, why pay $900 for a ticket up front when I can pay $40 to sit in front of the TV with more buddies.
    yeah, everything is whack, not just the pay structure, there are a lot of other things. Pay each fighter $10,000 per fight, have more PPV's, charge less on each PPV, and give the winner of the fight an Extra $5,000 and the winner of a Title Fight an extra $20,000. THat's great income and fair pricing for fans.

13. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

They charge it because people will pay it, whether it's UFC, or boxing, or NFL football.

And if they're making the money on the backs of guys like Diego Sanchez, Nick Diaz, and Rich Franklin, then why shouldn't they get a much larger cut of the gate/PPV? If someone gets critically injured and disabled in a fight, do you think Dana is going to be there to provide for their family for the rest of their life? Or what if the long term damage of being armbarred, choked out, etc. ends up causing some sort of disability, do you think making $10 grand a fight is worth it if one of these guys is unable to walk at 50? The same goes for boxing, football, whatever sport you can think of.

I don't know if you've checked lately, but this is a free market society. Dana is entitled to make as much money as he can, but he does need to pay his fighters fairly. $21,000 for a title match that's the headline fight of an event isn't paying fairly.

14. Bausk

Bausk New Member

In that radio interview, Dana said Ufc fighters "make WAY more than Pride fighters".

15. SRT910

SRT910 New Member

lol, of course they do thats why all the pride fighters are tripping over each other running to get to the UFC...:rofl::rofl:

16. m2e

m2e OT Supporter

maybe grade "F" bushido fighters :bowrofl: