MMA Dana unimpressed by "rinky-dink" Strikeforce

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Atmosphere, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/news/viewarticle.php?id=3391

10/11/09 - Dana unimpressed by "rinky-dink" Strikeforce

UFC president Dana White maintains he is unimpressed both with Fedor Emelianenko and the Strikeforce/CBS show he featured in at the weekend.

"The guy just got his face smashed in by Brett Rogers. Do you know what Brock or [UFC heavyweights] Frank Mir and Cain Velasquez would do to Brett Rogers?" he told the LA Times. "It's time to bring this guy in, to see Brock Lesnar smash his head."

Strikeforce’s debut broadcast on CBS, which pulled just under four million viewers in the prime time slot between 9 an 11 pm. The main event Fedor v Rogers fight did not start until after 11pm and thus it could be expected that the viewing figures would have been even higher during that bout.

But White says that figures are nothing impressive, even going so far as to suggest that CBS should drop Strikeforce from its network.

"CBS would be out of their mind to put that rinky-dink show on the air again . . . and without that backing, [Strikeforce] won't have the money to pay [Emelianenko]," he said.

But CBS Primetime executive Kelly Kahl, who oversaw Strikeforce’s arrival on the network, made clear from the outset that huge figures were not expected. Before the event, he noted in an interview with Ariel helwani that, “the bar for success on a Saturday night really isn’t all that high, so if we can improve, say our male demographics a little bit, that’ll be a success.”

Post-event, his reaction to the preliminary figures was not exactly ebullient, but he was far from dismayed. “Demographics are the reason you put this sport on. You’re not putting this on to get a huge household number, you’re putting it on to try to tap into a younger audience, and it looks like we were successful doing that,” he said.

He added that he will “hope for the best” regarding the final viewing figures - due out today - and said CBS will “re-visit and see if we can’t come back around and get another one of these scheduled at some point”.

no surprise

2. Socrates

Socrates New Member

I thought it was pretty awesome. But I hope Dana keeps saying this stuff to hype up a Brock vs Fedor fight.

I'm pretty sure Fedor only has two fights left on his contract with M-1 Global. Maybe after that he will go to UFC.

3. Khaaz

Khaaz New Member

lol @ Dana making Frank Mir out to be some monster that would smash Rogers, i'd like to see that one.

4. kopetzki

kopetzki Banned

he's a shareholder with M-1 he's under contract for life :rofl:

5. Trueno

Trueno Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Μоdеrаtоrs

If Dana wants to prove it this much that Fedor will get smash by Lesnar then sign his ass for 1 fight, do a co-promotion deal and fucking do it.

but of course he won't.

6. NUDES

NUDES New Member

Dana is a funny guy but sometimes the shit he says is retarded. Mir would literally get demolished by Fedor. There isn't any part of Fedor's game that is inferior to Mir.

Fedors competition is Lesnar. I'd pay quite a bit to see that fight.

7. Joris

Joris OT Supporter

In the quote Dana says that Mir/Velasquez would beat Rogers, not Fedor.

8. kopetzki

kopetzki Banned

i think by saying rogers was beating up fedor, and mir and valezquez would kill rogers, he inadvertently means that those two would also beat fedor. Seems like Dana is a proponent of mmamath.

9. Khaaz

Khaaz New Member

He's just trying to imply that without actually saying it, cuz people would just laugh in his face if he actually did say it.

10. NUDES

NUDES New Member

Except that's not what the overall implication is about how Mir/Valesquez would do vs. Fedor.

11. VulgarTheClown

VulgarTheClown A child and a gun.....go together like apple pie a

Heard a rumor that Rogers spent some time training with Lesnar (they're from the same area supposedly) and Brett actually KO'd Brock in sparring.

12. Basil McRae

Basil McRae Fading the public

they train about 3 hours away from each other...and I know Lesnars training camp is so secluded..I doubt it...but i guess its possible :eek3:

13. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

You read that on the Underground and it is 100% false.

They have never trained together. I have trained with both. Nick Thompson trains with Brock regularly and he agreed.

Brett trains BJJ at our academy. I don't "know" him - but I'm 100% certain they have never trained together. We have young idiot fanboys that ask shit like that.

14. Etherized

Etherized Active Member

Dana's just doing his job. Is it surprising?

15. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

I think this was expected and I'm surprised it took so long. I thought he'd post this shit on like Friday just to reiterate his point.

16. VulgarTheClown

VulgarTheClown A child and a gun.....go together like apple pie a

I didn't read it on the UG, one of the guys from the gym talked about it. I figured it was possible.

17. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

Ahh.. It has been all over the UG lately..

Total bullshit.

18. Mountain Dude

Mountain Dude Here it comes, and there it goes, another day in d

Dana White is a fucking sleaze ball.

When he says stuff like this I'm going to continue to watch the UFC fights online for free and support other shows instead.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  19. miek

miek New Member

Mir has already said in interviews that he doesn't want to fight Fedor :rofl:

20. Five7

Five7 Member

THE ARTICLE DID NOT SAY NOR IMPLY THAT MIR WOULD BEAT FEDOR OR WANTS TO FIGHT HIM.

21. Five7

Five7 Member

Rogers > Fedor

L > W

/MMA Math

How is Rogers "demolishing Fedor" for one round or part of one round relevant to any discussion when HE FUCKING LOST THE FIGHT?

Should Mir be the UFC heavyweight champ because he may have punched Lesnar a few good times in the second fight, only to LOSE the bout, afterwards?

Of course not.

While I like Dana, this article and his quotes in said article are retarded. I still dont think he was trying to imply that Mir wanted to fight Fedor or would beat Fedor, but retarded still, none the less.

22. NUDES

NUDES New Member

Yikes.

23. .Tim

.Tim New Member

Oh no! How will the UFC survive without you?! :noes:

24. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Touch Pro: Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; PPC; Opera Mobi/16643; U; en))

i can't believe that people still get surprised when dana white talks some ridiculous shit on his competition :rofl:

25. Cheeks

Cheeks New Member

What else is going to say, though? There is no way he can allow himself to say anything positive about a competitor. Doesn't want to give them an inch of props.