Dana, I want to be a fucking Ultimate Fighting King of the Cage Rage!

Discussion in 'MMA Training Logs' started by RockDaBoat, Dec 5, 2008.

1. RockDaBoat

RockDaBoat New Member

:coolugh:

Anyway!

I'm going to my first MMA class tonight, so I figured I'll start this badboy up and get my current stats up.

Height: 6ft
    Weight: 225 (@19% BF)

My cardio is awful... I used to play soccer and rugby and was pretty fit, but I laid off the training and got, year by year, fatter and unfitter. I've always been an MMA enthusiast (Pride, UFC, Cage Rage, whatever I can catch) and I have always wanted to do it, but have said "I'll get fit before I go." This has never happened and now I'm going to just jump into the deep end...

I've hit the weights pretty hard and my training has been very 1RM orientated...

Deadlift: 374lb
    Squat: 308lb
    Bench: 225lb

I'd be an absolutely shredded 185lb, but a well-built, natural LHW... we'll see how I am when I cut down.

I am looking to compete but am I in no hurry to do so, we'll see how the training goes. Getting fighting fit is my no1 priority, once I don't have to concentrate on my fitness so much, my technique will improve far faster (i've always found this in soccer!).

I'll post here with each workout, hopefully you fine folk will find an interest here and help me.

:wavey:

2. RockDaBoat

RockDaBoat New Member

Well the first class went a lot better than expected. My cardio held up better than I thought, though I swallowed down a mouthful of bile at one point. Lovely!

I sparred with an experienced muay thai fighter and didn't do too badly, I circled a lot and picked my shots carefully. If I stayed in the one spot or let him cut me off, he punished me. I targetted his lead leg with a lot of kicks and managed to land a couple of good jabs... I also "developed" a combo which seemed to work quite well: left jab, right straight followed by a left leg kick. He said I was quite good for a beginner. Woo! Anyway, when someone throws a kick at me, I drop my hands to check the kick, this is a habit I need to get out of ASAP. I need to tighten up my guard too.

I rolled with a black belt in Ju Jitsu (who happens to be a very good friend of mine) and he submitted me again and again. I loved it though. He quickly showed me how to do a couple of submissions (kimora, guillitine, armbar) and some sweeps (scissor sweep and two others I can't rememeber the name of) to give me a taste of what's to come! He has his first fight in 3 weeks and said once that's over he'll spend a lot of time with me, I can't wait!

We did a drill where we started with our backs to the wall, with our opponent going for a single leg takedown. I was pretty exhausted after that. There were times were I felt if I used my raw power I could pick up my opponent and drop him/dump him/pile drive him to the ground. I didn't because I'm not sure if I should rely on bettering my technique rather than using my strength. I'll need to find a balance for that.

In the gym, just doing free weights, I'm moving something that doesn't directly try to counter me... So trying to throw someone who is actively countering my each move with his own strength and weight is killer! As before in my previous post, building my cardio is my no1 priority!

Noob pains suck!

I took a solid kick to the ribs, they're sore!

My shoulders are sore from the punching and just holding my hands up at all times.

My left bicep and forearm are KILLING me! (I think there is a weakness somewhere there that may need addressed!)

Oh and my shins and foot are brusied to hell from all the kicking!

But I will be back. I'm in my element here.

Next week I am moving house and there's a BJJ gym less than 100 meters away (fuck yes!) so I'll be going there too soon enough.

If anybody has any tips, videos or books to recommend, that'd be great.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  3. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

:rofl:
    stay motivated homie!

its almost impossible to simulate what goes in on in training by lifting in the gym. your 1RMs are likely going to come crashing down.
    your cardio for the sport will improve by practicing the sport more and more. by applying more technique youll burn a lot less energy and you wont have to explode and force your movements often. as you get better youll be more on the offensive and not struggling to stay out of trouble.

just stay on the mat and keep working.

4. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

I think a lot of new guys don't realzie this is the only thing that's really going to make you better. Tons and tons of mat time. Don't get discouraged and keep at it.

5. RockDaBoat

RockDaBoat New Member

Thanks for the responses guys. I am sticking at it, I loved it! Sure, I was sore for a few days, but from going to the gym I knew to expect it. Too many people quit because of noob pains, not me though!

As I said in a previous post, I'm moving house next week and less than 100 metres away there's a huge sports facility... they have BJJ and boxing, I'll be going to both. Unfortunately my MMA class is only once a week, so I want to be busting my ass learning single disciplines and then come to the MMA class and put it together and mix it up! Does that sound like a good thing to do?

As for cardio, I'm doing some HIIT... IMO it'll be more beneficial than endurance jogs, what do you think?

6. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

its all new to you at this point, and your main goal is to fight. and as much i want to recommend focusing on one discipline, the most important factor is spending time in the gym learning.

7. f-g

f-g OT Supporter

I am sofa king jealous

8. RockDaBoat

RockDaBoat New Member

Ya see, I was thinking of learning the one discipline (kickboxing, or BJJ) with the view of either becoming my base (we all resort to base knowledge when exhausted, supposedly). But, I talked to two MMA fighters and they suggested just jumping in... Take up MMA and learn an MMA-slanted view of each discipline. For example, I spoke to one about attending boxing classes too and I was told "It's good to train, but for MMA it's not great. Different stance, different guard etc... a lot of it won't work for MMA." what do you think? As far as I'm concerned I'm still going to boxing and BJJ, then going to MMA and mixing what I learn into that class.

The only problem I have is that I have two jobs and I have already tailored my shifts in the 2nd job so I can attend MMA, Boxing and BJJ... And kickboxing is just too far away from me.

Im so excited about tonight's class, like a kid before Christmas! I'll get to update this log a lot more once I've moved into my new house this coming Sunday! :)

9. RockDaBoat

RockDaBoat New Member

How come?

10. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

just stick to where youll go the most often. and figure out what your primary competition goal is.
    the mma elements greatly effect they way you train striking and ground work.
    for instance, boxers can lean hard to avoid punches. in mma, that lean will set you up for a nasty head kick or knee.
    and im sure youve obviously already seen the many ways that strikes effect the grappling game.

11. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

my gym (in lake forest) is gonna hold a nogi tourney in february. get some cash together for a month-to-month, and get on the mat homie. youve got a solid wrestling base.

12. RockDaBoat

RockDaBoat New Member

Tonight was an awesome session. After a warm up, we drilled with single under hooks and double underhooks and then worked into the clinch and clinch defenses. It took me a couple of minutes to get into the rythm, but once I did, it was great!

After that, we did some light sparring... I was against another new guy (though he's a black belt in JJ) and we matched up quite well... I caught him a few times with the 1-2, left kick combo. With some tutition my footwork improved big time, I was criss-crossing my legs as I moved side to side and circled, they aren't now. I need to improve my stance though, especially against shorter guys!

I was then put into another pairing and grappled. When I am on top, I have no idea what to do apart from grinding out a GnP, without that, I'm defending against any sub attempts, though I did try to go for a kimura (poor technique I'm sure), but at least I'm trying the new stuff I'm learning. Once thing I was proud of, I was caught in a guillitine by a thai-jitsu guy and managed to slip my head out (i thought my head was gonna pop!), I managed to swing my leg out of his guard and get a half guard of my own, from there I worked my way to the full mount and began GnPing. It felt awesome when the alarm went and I held the dominant position.

We then drilled takedowns, we were split into teams of 5 with 1 person in the middle for 4 continuous minutes, with a fresh opponent every minute. I was the last in the middle and I did "well" for the first 2-3 minutes, but after that my cardio was giving up rapidly, I was ready to puke. But my last opponent lined up and I went for a lot of takedowns. I physically couldn't do it. I couldn't hold my arms up, never mind take this guy down. I finished up the round, made my way to the buckets and... nothing. I managed to control my breathing and relaxed.

The coach said "you were fucked, but you held out and fought on. Great work, great heart!" :big grin: I know it was a relative short amount of time, but if I can continue to push myself like that, cardio won't be as much of an issue anymore.

We then sparred some more. I worked the jab a lot and really, really, REALLY concentrated on not dropping my hands to check kicks and to keep my guard up at all times.

I've also worked out that I am a slammer, Rampage style, it worked a lot tonight. Fuck it, if my raw strength (deadlift ftmfw) can put me in a better position, so be it.

We finished up with a lot of core work, push ups and that was tonights sessions over. :(

My left elbow is sore again, there's a slice underneath my big toe and my back muscles and neck are very sore. But once again, I loved it.

Sorry for the wall of text, allthatshitbyme, but this is just as much for me as for anyone else who may take an interest!

13. RockDaBoat

RockDaBoat New Member

Thanks for taking an interest in my log, it's much appreciated! :bigthumb:

I'll do my thing for a couple of weeks and see how I develope and work from there. Roll on next Friday!

Also, the text I've bolded is my biggest worry about taking up boxing, but I think it'd be a great way to to get my striking up to scratch, I'll just have to be careful what I take on board and maybe explain to the coach I'm training in MMA.

14. RockDaBoat

RockDaBoat New Member

Just letting those who care (nonone!), that I haven't stopped training... between my xmas vacation and moving house, I had no net access for nearly 3 weeks.

My next session is tonight, though I have a pretty severe chest infection (for the past fortnight), I'm gonna be making use of the sick bucket! :(

15. RockDaBoat

RockDaBoat New Member

So my prediction was right... in the first 30 minutes, I was over the sick bucket 4 times. I couldn't puke, but Jesus I really really wanted to.

The whole session was just sparring with different partners, switching every 3 minutes, with the trainers moving between us, guiding us, giving us tips and hints etc. Pretty cool session.

I went for my first armbar and had to use brute strength to force it through. I was shown a few techniques so I don't have to force it as much. I also escaped 2 armbars using a technique I learnt from Youtube (someone posted it here).

I got pretty battered, if I'm honest. I was kicked and punched into submission... cut lips, bleeding nose, chipped tooth :)(). But I loved it.

In a previous session I was on top (in his full guard) and had no idea what to do, this session opened my eyes a lot, where to go, how to move, how to make his position ineffective.

Towards the end of the session, I couldn't hold my hands up at all, so I was told "Don't concentrate on holding them up, concentrate on tapping your eyebrows and soon it'll become easier to hold them up"... It seemed to work.

Anyway, roll on next session.

I'll be hitting the gym tonight, deadlifts, rows and the usual hardcore back routine. I'm still not sure what weights routine to adapt... we'll see.

16. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

in reference to the forced armbar:
    did you eat a few punches to the face for your efforts? :mamoru:

and when on top in full guard:
    POSTURE UP to create a striking distance
    keep your elbows in tight to protect from triangles and armbars
    if you dont know any guard pass techniques, just work on posturing up and keep active striking to his face or more effectively, throwing a 1-2 to his belly. that usually gets them to open up and allows you to pass to half or side. :bigthumb:

17. RockDaBoat

RockDaBoat New Member

I didn't, thankfully! He had his hands clenched together in a death grip so that I couldn't get the armbar, I tugged and pulled like Hell to separate his hands!

When I'm in a full guard, I posture up and throw punches, when he tries to force my hands/arms down towards him (for armbars/triangles etc), I place my hands on his hips and lock my elbows, which tends to keep my posture up AND keeps me out of striking distance. Though I think this makes it easier for them to get up by hip kicking/pushing me away.

And thanks for the tips too, really appreciated. :bigthumb::cool:

Oh and I tried a "new move" that I've saw a lot, or something similiar... 1-2, left kick, 1-2 left kick, 1-2 feint the left kick and go for the double leg takedown. It hasn't failed yet!

18. RockDaBoat

RockDaBoat New Member

Friday's session was great, my chest infection finally 100% cleared up and I was fine cardio-wise. I was able to hold my hands up the whole time, no difficulties.

When I was in full-guard, I postured up, locked my hands on his hips and then put my right arm behind me, between my back and his legs and underneath his right leg and "shoulder threw" him, breaking his lock and, if I was fast enough I got side control or back.

I am still being caught in submissions (fuckin' triangles are my main enemey) quite easily and it's really pissing me off, I'll need to keep my focus and need an awareness of where my arms are at all times...

For the first time a girl came to the class... she was hot. I sparred and grappled with her. But I was wary about hitting her, while she was throwing "strong" punches in bunches. I didn't want to punch her in the face, so i took out her legs with repeated kicks. When we grappled, I overwhelmed her with my strength, there is not much a 120lb girl can do against a 220lb guy...
    I did feel guilty because of that, but what can I do! I can hardly rely on a great technique just yet!

------------------

Yesterday, Sunday, me and my buddy (orange belt in kickboxing) did a lot of pad work and kick work. He's helped me with my kicks, my technique wasn't the greatest, but my power was maximum!:mamoru: Anyway, the padwork kicked my ass, 4 x 2min rounds, followed by kettlebells, pullups and a timed mile run (all uphill)... I came in at just under 8 minutes, meh, I've done better. But I still had gas in my tank.

Roll on next session.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  19. ZSPTurbo

ZSPTurbo New Member

http://www.submissions101.com/videos/pages/
    dont bother with rubber guard, you're probably too big for it, but eddie bravo loves it.

Make sure to do at least 5 to 10 full strength kicks with each leg on the heavy bag every time you get into the gym. You need to toughen up those shins

if you're big and strong, your bread and butter choke from the top should be the head and arm triangle. And if anyone guillotines you from half guard, or you are able to move into side mount while they still have it, use the von flue counter choke. Look those moves up.

As for getting triangled a lot... just dont lean too far forward when you're in their guard, and try to keep your arms from ever getting totally straightened. Also, when you described reaching back to the guys feet to open his guard, thats begging to be triangled. BJpenn.com has a great video somewhere on there of the most basic BJJ sequence out there. Find that video and memorize those moves and you'll get a lot better, fast.

Speaking of BJ Penn, get his book, the MMA book of knowledge. It's the shit.

Sounds like you're workin hard... Keep workin hard and good things will happen.

20. ZSPTurbo

ZSPTurbo New Member

Oh and dont try to do things full strength. The only person you're impressing is yourself. focus really hard on technique, even if the strike, or submission, doesnt do much in the fight, it will do a lot for your development. You don't want to train into bad habits because you were trying to kick the thai pads into next week.

21. RockDaBoat

RockDaBoat New Member

Thanks for the replies turbo... I'll certainly check out your recommendations.

I did pretty well on my last sessions... one guy submitted me 3 times in quick succession, motherfucker, but he has 2 years of experience on me! I managed to get a full mount on him, so I guess that's a plus.

Sparring went well, my punching is definitely getting sharper, as is my footwork. My leg kicks are coming a long nicely too, but anything above waist is just too uncomfortable at the minute, for an inflexible guy like me.

At one point, I had my back taken and he tried to sink in a full choke, I managed to defend it, until he gave up on it and went for an armbar instead, I used the same escape technique as before that I watched on youtube and got out of it too. Woo!

I've hit the cardio pretty hard too, recently. Since Friday, two 2 mile jogs and a game of 5aside football (soccer to you yanks!) which is basically an hour of HIIT. Feeling great, things are definitely improving at a fast rate!

No injuries to report this week for a change, apart from a few bruises and a rubbing sore from my shin pads.

Oh and I've signed up for my city's marathon as part of a relay team (4th May), I'm running 6ish miles of it, though looking to maybe do half. So I'll definitely be in great shape soon enough!

22. RockDaBoat

RockDaBoat New Member

23. RockDaBoat

RockDaBoat New Member

I missed my first session, (which won't become a habit) I've hurt my elbow and wrist playing some rugby (no helmets, no pads, just BALLS!), so I've been keeping up with the cardio, 3x 2mile jogs, 1x 3mile jogs and 2x sprint sessions (fuck that!).

I also did legs at the gym last night (squats, lunges, calves) and then threw some deadlifts in there just to fuck me up, loved it though. I then went to the "boxing area" (a punch bag and mirror) and shadow boxed in the mirror, looking to keep my footwork and punching sharp!

Anyway, feeling good, looking good, eating good (dropped 7lbs over Xmas until now), not bad.

My elbow is feeling close to perfect, my wrist is fairly sore when I put any pressure on the hand when doing push ups, grim. Hopefully, it'll be ok for training.

Tonight I'll be doing the 2xmile timed run, looking for a sub 15min time.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  24. RockDaBoat

RockDaBoat New Member

So, my last session was on Friday, it was a very cardio based class,a
    300 style workout (all body weight), sprints and then we concentrated on clinch work and dirty boxing. Thoroughly enjoyed it!

On Sunday I went to the gym, hit the weights... and then went for a run on the treadmill. I ran 5 miles in 39mins. I don't know what the fuck I had eaten that day, or what drugs I was buzzing from, but I was in the zone on the run. I wasn't out of breath once and I was throwing in sprints throughout to meet different goals... this is the absolute high point of my cardio "career". I'm still high from the endorphines!

Sunday night, I rolled... all technique work on "basicsubmissions, triangle, guillatine, figure 4 lock, kimura, shoulder lock, heel hook and different ways to set them up. Nice easy session, but it opened my eyes more than ever on how to confidently go for submissions. It also showed me how little flexibility I actually have... Anyone any tips?

I'm going to BJJ for the 1st time tomorrow night too... Grace Barra BJJ, I'm really looking forward to it!

25. RockDaBoat

RockDaBoat New Member

So I went to BJJ last night.

Caught people in armbars, guillatines, a figure four lock and went for an arm triangle, Hell, that's more submissions in one night than 2 months of MMA! I also learnt a couple of sweeps and some contingency moves if I can't set up the sweeps. But at times, when I'm in their full guard, I still feel as though I'm just trying to avoid their submission attempts, rather than my enact my own. Infact, at times, I felt more comfortable on my back than on top. Is this normal?

One guy was all strength (beast!!!) and little technique, he tried to outmuscle me for 5 minutes, I managed to control him despite his strength and managed to sink in my hooks and then tap him with a rear naked choke... woot!

Another guy was a ninja... agile as hell and pretty good. He triangled me in the first 30 seconds. We restarted and he took my back pretty early on and I spent most of our "match" defending my neck, which I did successfully... he then transitioned to an armbar, which I managed to roll out of and take the mount, which is where it finished. I was on the backfoot the whole time, but it felt good to have survived it!

Anyway, my final roll was with a guy with 20 MMA fights (supposedly, I don't know for sure!), he caught me in a figure 4 lock and cranked my arm really hard, before I knew what was happening, my elbow made all kinds of awful noises. He let go, jumped up and started freaking out, as did the guys rolling beside us... They thought I'd just fucked my elbow up, BUT I was fine...

... Until his morning. My elbow/forearm is a little sore, but stiff and uncomfortable. I can still move it and lift heavy things with it, it's as though I've hit my elbow on the ground.

I'll rest it til Friday and hope it's ok for MMA, Im dying to use what I've learnt in only one proper, formal session and a cool little session with 2 friends from Sunday. The 2 friends are also new to BJJ (one kickboxes and does MMA with me, the other is a n00b!) and we're going to get together once a week and do pure technique drill-work on what we learn in class, so that everything becomes second nature.

Anyway, if you didn't know already, BJJ fuckin rocks.

PS: When I started this training I weighed myself on a certain scale, it told me I was 225lb. I finally got round to reweighing myself on the same scale 3 days ago... 212. Fuck yeah!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009