MMA Dan Hardy: "I don't think we'll be friends after the fight"

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Atmosphere, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

http://www.fiveknuckles.com/mma-exclusive/An-interview-with-The-Outlaw-Dan-Hardy.html

Dan Hardy is a rising MMA star from the U.K. With fights in Europe, Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States under his belt, the globetrotting Hardy holds an outstanding MMA record of 21-6 while splitting time training at Team Rough House in the U.K. and Legends Gym in the U.S.

The flamboyant Hardy burst onto the U.S. MMA scene with a big win at UFC 89 over highly regarded and equally flamboyant Akihiro Gono. He further solidified himself as a contender in the UFC's middleweight division after knocking out tough veteran Rory Markham at UFC 95.

Looking for bigger names after besting Markham, Hardy infamously called out Marcus Davis after the fight.

"He's had a couple of fights in the UK, and he's kind of building himself a fan base, but he's not English; he's not Irish," said Hardy of Davis. "I was born here, and I've been bred here. I don't mind taking on that challenge and showing him this is my home and not his."

Davis took exception to that comment and asked UFC matchmaker Joe Silva to make the fight. The two will face off at next month at UFC 99 in Germany.
    FiveKnuckles.com caught up with Hardy to get his thoughts on the match up with his buding rival, get insight on the state of MMA in the U.K., his love of punk rock, and much more.

FiveKnuckles.com: Tell us a little bit about your background. How did you get to where you are now?

Dan Hardy: Well, I started with taekwondo at the age of six and never stopped training. I started mixing styles when I was about 14 and when I saw the early ufc's I was hooked. I began working jiu jitsu and then started traveling and training in the states. I had my first mma fight about five years ago and was doing pretty well... and here I am now!

FiveKnuckles.com: What is the scene like in the UK? Are schools popping up all over and are you recognized when you walk the streets?

Dan Hardy: I'm at the stage where people recognize me but dont approach me, they just point and tell their friend. MMA schools are popping up everywhere, the standard of students and coaches is relatively low in comparison to the states, but its improving fast. The UFC is everywhere though, in all the media and on tv a lot.

FiveKnuckles.com: Is your mohawk a reflection of your love for punk rock? Who are you currently listening to?

Dan Hardy: Yeah, I love a wide range of music from Tom Waits and Buffalo Springfield, to Cannibal Corpse and Lamb of God. My tastes vary quite a lot but British punk and ska is my preferred genre. At the moment, I'm listerning to the English Beat, Crass and Earth Crisis.

FiveKnuckles.com: Where did your nickname "The Outlaw" come from?

Dan Hardy: I had a disagreement with an old coach and he told all of my training partners, that they weren't allowed to train with me. When I signed up to the cage warriors forum looking for training partners, I used the outlaw. It stuck because of the link to Robin Hood and Nottingham.

FiveKnuckles.com: You have an outstanding record and have been fighting since 2004 with 27 professional fights, why make your UFC debut in 2008, nearly five years after your first pro fight? Was it harder for UK fighters to get into the UFC pre-Bisping?

Dan Hardy: It's difficult to get the credible wins early on. Shows in america won't fly out a guy with hardly any fights and you have to fight in the states to get noticed. I just kept chipping away, climbing the ladder and building my record. Eventually, I got a chance to fight some good guys and get the wins I needed.

FiveKnuckles.com: You joked ,on TapouT Live Radio, about your ground game. Where is your ground game at right now? You have a blue belt in BJJ from Eddie Bravo, are you looking to take your BJJ further?

Dan Hardy: To be honest, I think the blue belt from Eddie was more of a token gesture. I am only concerned with stuff that will work in MMA and I'm only really interested in belts that say "World Champion" on them. I would like more belts in BJJ but it's not a priority. I feel I can hold my own on the ground and I'm improving every day. That's whats important to me.

FiveKnuckles.com: What are your impressions of Bisping as a coach and the UK fighters currently taking part in TUF 9?

Dan Hardy: Bisping is a much better coach than I thought he would be to be honest. All the guys off the show I have spoken to, said he did a great job. The UK team, for the most part, look great... a couple of the guys frustrated me because their place in the house could have been used by someone willing to put the effort in. The majority of them took the opportunity and made the most of it.

FiveKnuckles.com: Who is the next big name we can look for from Team Rough House?

Dan Hardy: Aside from Andre Winner in the TUF house, I have to say Jim Wallhead. He is a beast and has already beaten a bunch of the UK UFC vets.

FiveKnuckles.com: Your becoming very popular among U.S. fans due to your likeable persona. How does this translate into your fighting? You see a lot of U.K. fighters joke around with one another on TUF 9. Is it important to have comedy in the gym, do you flip a switch when it's time to fight?

Dan Hardy: I have spent a lot of time in gyms in the states and the vibe is very different. Everyone is very supportive of each other and constantly giving words of encouragement. In the UK it's the opposite, we tear into each other constantly. It's all joking though, no mean intentions at all. You can see it clearly on TUF 9 at the moment. The American team doesn't get Bisping's humour. It's how we lighten the mood I guess. When I step out into the arena though, I'm all business, I have a job to do.

FiveKnuckles.com: It's obvious to any MMA fan you and Marcus Davis aren't best friends. Where did this hatred come from? Will you be friends after the bout like we've seen with so many past grudge matches?

Dan Hardy: Well, I don't like the fact that he has staked a claim to the UK. Even before I signed with the UFC, I thought to myself "I wanna kick his ass". He was the first person I asked to fight after I signed and I knew it was only a matter of time before I would fight him. I started making fun of him to make sure he was up for the fight. I don't want to have to chase him around for three rounds while he runs away. Will we be friends after? To be honest, I dont think so. I don't care either way, but he is way too sensitive. I don't think he will deal with the loss very well.

FiveKnuckles.com: Who do you look up to in the MMA world? Who you do watch fight and say "Damn, I love their style and/or want to fight like that"?

Dan Hardy: Any fighter that is highly skilled and makes the fight look easy. Anderson silva is a perfect example, but even Frankie Edgar, the other night, looked awesome against Sherk. Anyone that gets in there and fights hard, gets my respect.

FiveKnuckles.com: What are your predictions for the Thiago Alves vs. Georges St. Pierre fight?

Dan Hardy: It all depends on Alves' takedown defense. If he can stop GSP from putting him on his back, he can cause a lot trouble on the feet. Alves is a better striker than GSP, if he has improved since the Fitch fight, he can take the belt.

Dan Hardy is set to face bitter rival Marcus Davis at UFC 99: The Comback in Cologne, Germany on June 15. UFC 99 is a pay-per-view event that will air in the afternoon for U.S. fans.

can't wait until Davis KO's him :bowdown:

2. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

Davis is better at every aspect of the game.

I like Hardy though, and I cant stand Davis' bullshit Irish posturing, so hopefully Hardy will step up his game and send Davis home early.

3. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

i always saw him as a proud irishman, but not an ireland native

4. teep

teep New Member

word. he's getting knocked out or submitted for sure