DAMN YOU UBUNTU!!!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by copeland, Aug 14, 2007.

1. copeland

copeland smarter than you

seriously,

I've been trying over and over to get my wireless to work on my HP DV9000, if it would, I'd switch solely to ubuntu....

but I know there is a user error somewhere...

I get all the way to step 6 here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Device/Broadcom_BCM4311_rev_01_(ndiswrapper)

I do the iwconfig

and get this

[email protected]:~/bcm4311$ iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

eth1 IEEE 802.11b ESSID:off/any
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
    Bit Rate:11 Mb/s
    RTS thr:2432 B Fragment thr:2432 B
    Power Management:off
    Link Quality:95/100 Signal level:-35 dBm Noise level:-96 dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

sit0 no wireless extensions.that eth1 is supposed to be wlan0 so it says go back to step 2 to correct, but then I'm totally baffled...

can anyone help? I'm a noob to linux so I don't even understand what I'm doing...

2. copeland

copeland smarter than you

and now that it's completely messed up by me, should I re install ubuntu 7.04 or is there a away to start back at step 1?

3. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

I had the same problem with my laptop. I just got rid of it and went back to XP. Not worth the trouble.

4. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Delete the eth1 line in /etc/iftab? Then reboot and get back to step six again. Does it show up as wlan0 now?
    Run: 'gksudo gedit /etc/iftab' to edit that file.

5. Dezert.Eagle

Dezert.Eagle New Member

lmfao I hate Ubuntu too, thats why I switched back to XP/Vista. It's much easier.

6. project15

project15 New Member

I second that experience. I really want to learn to use linux, but can never get my wireless cards to work. And no, I don't want to run a wired connection throughout my house.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

ETH is wired internet. ATH is wireless internet.

Download and install KWiFiManager. It's far better than the GNOME wireless manager. In fact, just use KDE; it might be quasi-proprietary, but who cares? It's free, it's slick, and it's well-supported.

8. RiSk

RiSk New Member

lol at all the Linux hate in here :)

9. deusexaethera

How bout you tell the kid how to solve his problem, since you're the Linux Guy?

10. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Ha whataya mean? It sure has quasi-proprietary (from when Qt was non-free only) roots but now it's as good as any open source program. (which is pretty much crap, imo)

For the record ndiswrapper is a way to use Windows drivers in Linux. You are using (or trying to use) the manufacturers WINDOWS DRIVERS thanks to some Linux mens slaving. There are very good (the best) Linux driver developers that FOR FREE offer manufacturers a service whereby they can give the devs a spec and have them sign an NDA (something many observers disagree strongly about) and they'll release GPLed drivers and maintain them in Linux, so they will work out of the box on EVERY Linux distribution (just like my raLink card).

Your manufacturer ignored. You can ask THEM why and bitch at THEM (the Ubuntu developers just believe that hardware should just work (and on many configurations it does so in spades), but the manufacturers are in their way. I can think of only one way to change that.).

11. deusexaethera

I know KDE is based on code that doesn't have the same license agreement that it used to; what I mean by quasi-proprietary is that it's not entirely XWindows-compatible on account of all the nifty effects and pseudo-DDE and whatnot that KDE offers on top of the standard XWindows package. Frankly, I like those extra features; it makes KDE feel much more polished than, say, XFCE. Amazingly, KDE also runs faster on my old 300MHz Celeron 2 laptop than XFCE ever did.

EDIT: I might be using the wrong terminology here; I'm not as well-versed in Linux as other people here.

12. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

I never knew KDE did anything different or wrong in this regard.

KDE works on Xorg without modifications or special extensions, and KDE developers participate on freedesktop.org (without which it would be more difficult for people like me who like to run many, many brilliant KDE applications on a GNOME desktop to be satisfied).