GUN Damn you AB13 I went and did it!

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by minus, Mar 24, 2008.

1. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

April 12th is the classifier match. Now I need to get this damn press working.

2. AB13

AB13 New Member

:Evil laugh:

Welcome to the dark side, we've been expecting you...

3. sprite

sprite Active Member

IDPA or USPSA Classifier?

USPSA Classifier matches are about the lamest USPSA matches possible.

4. AB13

AB13 New Member

lol, yeah. Standards suck! It's always the "standing from box A, enage T1-T4 strong hand only, reload and engage weak hand only. And the targets are staggered from 5 yards to 25 yards. I hate those, but it's a quick way of getting to sandbagging, err I mean classifying for a particular division. :mamoru:

Not much movement in those matches, so don't base your experience from the classifier matches. Real matches involve a lot more moving around.

It's like the IDPA classifier. Because it's all in one day, it's easy to toss out the match and sandbag a class. Or at the same time, it's also easy to get "paper classification". You know, the guys that sit there and practice the classification over and over, and then at a real match get smoked by the lesser classified shooters. :mamoru:

5. minus

My pt1911 and I will be in the "suck" but enthusiatic class.

6. AB13

AB13 New Member

I think you may surprise yourself. Avoid watching the speed demons and shoot how you've trained.

My rule of thumb is " If I haven't spent considerable amount of time training for it, I won't try to pull it off in a match ".

This is one of the hardest thing to tackle as a new shooter. Getting caught up watching the speed demons and trying to shoot like them.

Accuracy is key, get your Alpha shots, get a clear sight picture and shoot within your skill set.

Most new shooters have so much adrenaline going on the first match, I don't think they realize there was a front sight on there gun at all. :mamoru:

I think you'll get a new found respect for some of the skills involved. Sounds easy, until you have a timer behind you, shooting in front of 10+ shooting peers and a loaded gun in your hands. You'll be surprised how hard shooting while moving is. I mean, it looks simple in the movies rite! headshot from 50 yards while diving for cover! lol

7. minus

I tested my loads today 4.6 grains of 231 is definetly above the power threshhold and cycles the gun well. I will be doing all the priming off the case. Do I need need to join idpa international?

8. texchef

texchef Guest

The matches here give a discount (allbeit small) for being an IDPA member and a few of the more "elite" clubs require it.

9. Jinkle

Jinkle Habs/Vikings > *

AB13 are you using ball ammo or just lead?

10. minus

Hmm.

11. AB13

AB13 New Member

Ball ammo is in regards to the projectile "type". and what he means is "RN" aka Round nose ammo.

It's not in reference to material type.

But yeah, it depends on what pistol I'm shooting, even in .45. My XD tactical likes 200 grain RN aka ball ammo. My Kimber likes SWC in 185 and 200 grain (Semi Wad Cutters).

My Dan Wesson likes 230 RN which is one of the most popular set ups.

12. minus

He rides the rainer bandwagon. I use lead.

13. AB13

AB13 New Member

the "I" in IDPA stands for International. :)

Most "sanctioned" clubs allow you to shoot the first match without having to be a "member". Some don't really care. I know people that aren't members that have shot for several years.

The thing is, you don't get a "classification" until you are a registered member. And without a "classification", you are not allowed to shoot a major match, and must remain at "club level".

trust me, you are going to want to shoot a Major match. IDPA matches are not allowed to give guns as "prizes" so all clubs do a raffle for guns. our last match we had 9 guns on the prize table, raffle style. You are given a raffle, and the first 9 people they draw are allowed to pick anything on the prize tables, that usually consist of 6-10 folding tables full of gear from sponsors from Range bags, glasses, Bullets, Brass and of course Guns! Of course, the first 9 get their choice of any gun on the table. They also have rifles and shotguns on the table.

it's 30 bux for a year, and trust me, your going to want to join. :)

14. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

Yeah, damn you AB13, look and see what you've done.

I went and watched a USPSA match a week ago, and now i've got the bug. Ordered some equipment, but FOBUS sucks, as you mentioned and is backordered. I got a belt ROTO-holster from them, but their paddle stuff is backordered. I will probably end up canceling the order and getting something from bladetech or uncle mikes. Going to try my hand at a 3-gun very informal match, and the same USPSA match I saw last week in April. If only I had more money!!!