Damn! that doesnt sound good

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Pineapple Devil, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

so i'm sitting here running carbon copy cloner when the hd in my powerbook starts making this horrible screeching sound and my screen goes black

i start it back up and it screeches and has a solid grey screen

wtf? any ideas of what to do next?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
  2. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

let it sit for a little bit and now it comes up to a folder with a question mark. looking on apples website i followed these instructions

1. Start up from a system software CD or DVD, and repair your disk using Disk Utility:
      1. Insert the Mac OS X Install or Restore disc.
      2. Restart the computer, then hold the C key during startup.
      3. From the Apple menu, choose Disk Utility. Do this in the first screen of the Installer. Don't click Continue. If you click Continue in a Mac OS X Installer version earlier than 10.2, you must restart from CD again.
      4. Click the First Aid tab.
      5. Click Repair Disk.
      6. After repairing the disk, try to start from the Mac OS X hard disk.
      Tip: If your hard disk is not available (mounted) when started up from CD, reset the parameter RAM (PRAM) as described in step 3, then repeat these steps. If your hard disk is still not available after resetting PRAM, contact an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple Technical Support.
    2. Try to select your Mac OS X startup disk using either Startup Manager or the X key.

If this doesn't work, go to step 3.
    3. Reset parameter RAM (PRAM).

Reset PRAM, then see if the computer starts up. If it doesn't, repeat step 2.
    i dont know what to do next. :wtc: i dont want to lose everything

3. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

do the disk utility thing, there shouldnt be any (more) risk in that..

did you already have problems with the HD? why were you making an image of it?

4. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

i'm doing the disk utility thing but the hd doesnt even show up anymore

not a single problem out of it ever. i was in the middle of imaging it and putting a backup on my external hd

5. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

my problem is that the hd doesnt show up at all. if it were to show up in disk utility theres so much i could do, but it just doesnt show up at all

6. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

7. doublemeat

doublemeat New Member

try Safe Mode? :dunno:

Hold down the Shift key immediately after the startup tone, and release when you see the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

8. kanish

kanish schwigitty schwigitty schwagg

i would try startup w/ cntrl + s, (single user) then do fsck -y but if its screeching sounds more like an overall hardware problem...

9. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

are there ways to fix a hardware problem in a hd?

10. kanish

kanish schwigitty schwigitty schwagg

not really... if compy is out of warranty, its easier to replace hd. if it is consistent clicking and noise coming from it you want to try to get it to a readable state just to get any important info off of it.

the easiest way i've seen is if you have or know someone that has an external enclosure for laptop HDs. it might be your best bet to hook it up as an external device to get any info you need off of it.

11. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

ive got a wd my book external drive. later today i'll take it apart to see if i can just plug up this one

12. bandwagon

bandwagon Copy/Paste

13. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

the plugs for a 2.5 and 3.5 drive are the same right? i can just replace the drive in my external hd with the laptop drive to see if it works?

the gf is coming over tonight so im going to plug my external hd up to her ibook to see how far carboncopy got in making an image of my hd. if some of the info that i need is on there i'll take it and just buy a new hd for the laptop.

dont know if i can access a partial image file though :sad2:

14. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

ok

ccc copied bits and pieces of stuff but nothing that i needed
    i couldnt plug the 2.5" laptop drive into my 3.5" enclosure bc the ribbon is different
    i guess i'll try and find a cheap 2.5" external and put it in that to see if anything shows up when i plug it into another mac

other than that i guess the drive is screwed :wtc:

15. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

just keeping you guys updated in case someone ever has this problem and needs some ideas

i've got the hd in the freezer to try out a couple last ideas
    i ordered a replacement hd from new egg. 80g seagate 5400 for $58 (cheapest one i could find of quality)
    i've got a hacked version of filesalvage running on my external drive to see what it can pull from the image files i created the day before all this happened.

when the new drive gets here i'll put 10.3.5 on it then upgrade it back to tiger

16. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

not the freezer!

17. elevator

elevator The tenants think it's wonderful! ヽ(´ OT Supporter

my hd died 3 days ago (clicking, grey screen and folder with "?", hd didn't show up in disk utility) I had a Seagate Momentus 100Gb 7200rpm hd that I installed when I got the macbook. It's still covered under seagates warranty so they are sending me a new one :hs:

18. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

update...

prior to the crash i was testing out superduper and ccc. both of which i created an image and put it on my external hard drive. i ran a hacked version of filesalvage on my external and it found the files for the image!! i'm in the process of recovering the almost 20k picture files that I had on the external hd right now

with it being a 250gb hd it took about 13 hours to go through and recover everything so i could get a list of what is on the drive that is salvageable