Damn.... It has started

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by DTR rex, Mar 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Well, I have been cutting for about 3 weeks now. When I started my cut, and for the last 3 weeks I was taking in 2500 calories (1,000 down from my previous bulk intake of 3,500). Everything was perfectly fine... I was noticing a slight decrease in bodyfat (visually) and dropped about 7 lbs on the scale.. Most importantly, my lifts felt fine.. Size did not go down, strength was just fine, if not increasing, etc...

Well 3 days ago I knocked it a little lower to speed up the body fat loss and work further under maintenence. Now I am at 1,800 calories and carbs are low. Between even fewer calories and very little carbs (I am used to taking in a lot of carbs in my diet) I feel like fucking shit! My workouts have been really tiring, strength feels depleted, and I have a feeling I am going to lose a little muscle mass with that body fat.
    All of this was expected though once I went down to 1,800 cal's, and cut down on carbs but is there any secret you guys know of to help keep strength and energy up?

I dont want to take a stimulant (atleast not yet) but being low on cals and carbs are killing my strength and energy and making me feel like shit... I am in my 4th day, so does this tend to get easier as your body adjusts? Or do you guys know of something helpful?

I have cut a few times before with decent results, but 1,800 is the lowest I have gone (usually around 2,400) and this is the first time I have ever cut carbs like this.

2. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

since i've been cutting, i've been coming home from the gym absolutely exhausted... i think that's just a function of being in caloric deficit, but i could be wrong

3. Aez

Aez New Member

From a personal stand-point I feel that knocking carbs down really low is gunno be an absolute bitch if you are'nt on a TKD or ketosis based program.

I may be completey off the ball, but unless you are in ketosis your body is still using the very little amount of carbs your using as it's main fuel source?

4. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

but once it runs out of carbs...

5. chizzle

chizzle New Member

It'll start converting protein unless you have a certain percentage of fat in your daily intake.

6. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

I'm cutting too but only at 200less cals a day. I make it up by doing cardio to burn the extra cals. I'm getting stronger and still feel pumped after the gym. I was two weeks ago 195, Last week I was 193 and this morning I'm 192lb. Unless you need to cut down for show there is no reason to drop so many cals. Slow cut for the win and retain almost all your gains and strenght. BTW I'm still getting stronger and faster in cardio. This is week 6 into my cut.

7. Kotu

Kotu OT Supporter

Or it might be the 3-hour workouts :hsughno:

8. Kotu

Kotu OT Supporter

If you drop your calories too low, you will lose muscle mass. Take it slow. No need to lose a pound a day. 1-2 pounds a week would be perfect. Bump it back up to 2500 and take it slow.

9. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Aren't you over 200lbs?
    I think 1800 is damn low for that weight.
    Are you doing any cardio?
    I personally prefer to do a combination of cardio and diet to reach a deficit.

10. emanuel

emanuel OT Supporter

i agree. before going on arnold's basic training routine i would come home kind of tired but now using his routine very strictly i'm fucking DONE after cardio. likewise, it probably doesn't help that i'm in a deficit.

11. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

:o

fish oil ftw?

12. knucks

knucks Active Member

+flaxseed

13. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Yes, I am over 200lbs.

1,800 might be too low.. But when at 2,500 I was seeing results but after nearly 4 weeks results slowed and I felt it was time to drop cal's again.

yes, I am doing cardio. Everytime I go to the gym (about 4 or 5 days a week) I do the eliptical glider for about 25-30min and then play B-ball for anywhere from 20min - 1 hour.

I am doing a combo of cal reduction AND cardio. What I plan to do when it gets warmer out is run is the morning to burn off an extra 300 cals or so, and then add that to my diet so I can keep energy up but still retain the same maintenence. However, I live in Chicago and right now it is windy and 30 degrees out. Hopefully in a couple weeks it will be the 50/60's consistantly.

I am considering bumping cal's up to 2,200 right now though.

Anyone have any other input?

14. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

That's what I do.

15. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

1800cals cardio and lifting your overtraining and not eating enough.

16. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

:uh:

17. chizzle

chizzle New Member

Fish oil and nuts ftw.

18. emanuel

emanuel OT Supporter

natty peanut butter

19. Ceaze

peanut butter's not that spectacular

20. emanuel

emanuel OT Supporter

natural is :dunno:

21. AaronOC

AaronOC Guest

:nono: listen to ceaze

22. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Care to elaborate or just make comments/smiley faces that really do not help me?

23. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

yeah, its just that right now, I can only do so much gym cardio without wanting to kill myself from boredom. As I said, I am going to up calories once I can start running outside but still retain maintenence. But like I said, Chicago is fucking 30 degrees right now with 30mph winds and I refuse to run in that shit.

For how much I lift (5 days a week) and for the heavy weight I lift and time (about 2+ hours in the weight room everytime) I can feel my body needs more energy.. but if I just start eating more again to keep muscle strength and energy up I am not going to really reduce too much bodyfat. I need to find a good median where both worlds can be happy.... but I am having trouble finding it.

24. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I dont know, that is why I asked :bigthumb:

I have been taking it pretty gradual I thought. I went from 3,500 (on bulk) and took it down to 2,500 (phase 1 of cut) and did that for about 4 weeks and felt fine. Then I knocked it down to 1,800 and I am feeling really shitty. I dont know if this is more-so because of the low cal's or the low carb's?
    I am italian with an asian g/f... So usually my diet consists of a lot of pasta'a and rice so I am afraid the low carb thing is what is making my body feel all shitty.

any input big Chris?

25. Ceaze

you said at 2500 calories you were noticing a decrease in bodyfat, so why would you reduce your calories further?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.