Damn I suck at Mid-Ohio

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by twin_turborx7, Jun 2, 2003.

1. twin_turborx7

twin_turborx7 Sponsor: DeeperImage.com

I have been winning a lot of races lately, but damn am I horrible at Mid-Ohio. Can't get my times down enough.. Need more seat time.

Hard track to say the least and not one that is easy to learn only popping in for the weekend (i.e not home track or close enough to go more often).

I am going to get Kumho to trailer my car up so I can fly in for a private test day to learn that focker.

2. Guido The Penguin

Guido The Penguin Hi, I'm here for the gang bang.

The keyhole > you.

3. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Mid Ohio = One track i hope i never have to compete at. Because i will get my ass handed to me.

4. twin_turborx7

twin_turborx7 Sponsor: DeeperImage.com

Yeah really funny that I couldn't get it figured out.

Here what happened:

Saturday it was a downpour for qualifying session #1. I qualified 9th and thought "not bad for never being here and it is pouring".

2nd qualifying session: Ran quite a bit faster according to my in car lap timer so I pulled off the track a bit early thinking I probably moved up some. Still raining but not the same downpour as session #1 but figured I would be about the same and I wasn't going to get any faster so fockit pulled in.

DOH! I qualified 14th for the race. I was fucking freaked out. Didn't think I would have fallen that much and didn't seem bad in session #2 (couple cars passed me, I passed a couple etc.) I wasn't expecting to be on the podium but this was getting ugly.

Race day (dry): 15 minute "emergency practice" session. I pull my car to the grid to get a few laps under dry conditions thinking I would get just enough to get around some guys etc. This is where my ego was telling me that I drive well enough to get into the top 6 or 7 just on sheer driving. Well focked up, over 100 cars showed up for the 15 minute practice, I was number 64 and the "max on track" was 56. What this meant is that 56 was most on track so when one pulled off into pits #57 would be let go and so on. I sat in the pits shitting myself that I was about to start a race at a track I had never been on in the dry and it was as technical at Mid-O is as well. Finally released from pits. I got a warm up lap and 1 more lap before it was over. I was in trouble for the race :)

Race time: I had a crew member on the radio and when we came around he made the green call and I got a GREAT jump at the start. I dropped 2 wheels in the grass at turn 13 and went 3 wide coming out and cleared several cars that were in a battle. First lap came around past start/finish just getting to speed and I had moved from 14th to 5th. Things were looking good and that "ego" was beginning to smile that I was about to own some guys. I was already thinking podium at least.

wrong! Turns out that things were nice when everyone was battling for position since it was the start of the race etc. You know the adage that when 2 cars (or more) are racing it slows them down? Well I was taking advantage of this and making low percentage passes on the first 2 laps to move up and quickly. What do you think happened when things settled out a bit and guys were driving cleaner laps? I got focking owned! and reminded that this was not my "home track" and it was the home track of the vast majority of the field. I didn't know where my brake marks should be in the dry to I was getting clobbered by cars behind me (literally getting hit pretty hard in the rear). This helped me figure out that I was braking too early but bottom line was that I was sitting in 5th and was only driving well enough to be back where I started in 14th. Just about every corner I was getting killed and giving up positions. Needless to say I was lucky to finish 10th and this wasn't without help. At least 1 car in front of me broke and another crashed or I would have been 12th or worse.

Lots of work to do there. Sorry for the ramble..

5. Guido The Penguin

Guido The Penguin Hi, I'm here for the gang bang.

Dont you wish Mid-Ohio was on GT-3 now?

6. Chicane

Chicane Ad Hoc OT Supporter

Just curious? What laptimes do you turn there.

I have only driven there 3 times (never in a race). I love the flow of the track, but all the experts say it is one place that only seat time will conquer.