damn hacks...

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by n2_space, Jun 18, 2009.

1. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

2. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

wow. looks like most of the reviews arn't too happy w/ his approach to car detailing. lol. can't wait to see what others say.

3. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

4. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

and how come I didn't ever think to use 409 for my carpet...

5. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

409 for everything!!!!

6. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

I heard steel wool is also good for getting bugs and tar off of paint. Just make sure you get 0 and not that soft 0000 stuff.

7. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

8. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

9. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Wow... I want to reach through the monitor and strangle this moron.... :mad:

10. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

That poor Bentley.... I think that would make baby jesus cry.

11. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

Wow. Just wow.

Did you see his bucket? Geez. This has got to be some sort of sick joke. He has to see all the comments!!!

12. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

In this economy, i was hard up for some money and decided to do some pick up work for a local detail shop.
    First i felt like a knob for even letting them pay me the pennies they where, but its money, and i need money, so WTF, why not.

Here is the typical way they do ALL of their cars. They CLAIM they do more finesse oriented details on higher end cars, but i have seen them do things like spray acid onto the carbon ceramic brakes on a Cayman S, and pressure wash it off.

Anyway...here is their "process".

Car comes in.
    Goes to washing station.
    Gets sprayed down with acid. (windows are quickly brushed with "cleaner" solution to prevent acid spotting)
    Wheels get through soaking in acid.
    Car gets pressure washed, special attention is paid to the wheels for pressure washing.
    Car gets coated with degreaser from garden sprayer, door jambs and trunk sill get sprayed down, engine bay gets sprayed down.
    Car gets cleaned with a vinyl bristle scrub brush.
    Car gets rinsed with pressure washer.
    Doors, trunk, and hood get opened, all jambs and sills get pressure washed. Yes, they pressure wash the door jambs, and sills. And yes, as much water as you think gets in there. THey will even pressure wash the top of the trunk lid.

Then the car gets rolled into the bay.
    Dried with a combination of an air hose, and a dirty nasty ass synthetic chamois. And the exterior gets "prepped" for "buffing". (more on that later)
    It is vacuumed out with a combination air hose shop vac method, the floor mats are taken out to be coated in degreaser and pressure washed.
    The interior of the car, fabric or leather, gets coated in degreaser.
    Everything gets scrubbed with a stiff nylon bristle brush, even the leather. Any shoe scuff transfers on doors, or cargo scuffs in cargo areas are rubbed with 0000 steal wool and degreaser untill "removed".
    The center console, seat rails, tight spaces, interior seams, and cup holders get a heavy treatment of degreaser. Instead of being scrubbed with a brush gently to remove any debris, they are just saturated with degreaser, let to dwell, then blasted out with an air hose. Didnt get it...spray, and repeat until it is. No one uses small brushes or toothbrushes.
    The rear trunk mat gets removed, and all the water that was sprayed into it from the pressure washing is shopvaced up. The trunk liner is sprayed with degreaser, and scrubbed as per the rest of the interior.
    Then a carpet extractor hit up the carpets after being saturated and scrubbed. And the fabric seats also get the same treatment.
    Then the interior is covered with an all in one, vinyl/rubber/leather cleaner/dressing. Windows are washed with an alcohol based window cleaner.

The outside of the car gets prepped by a wipedown with lacquer thinner, to remove any tar or pitch deposits. If there is an area that requires claying...they use the degreaser as lube for the clay.
    Then a terry covered foam applicator that gets used all day without cleaning applies an all-in-one polish/glaze/wax that is left to cure for about 15 minutes on the car.
    Once cured, a rotary buffer with egg crate style finishing foam (a knock off of the 3m hook-it style finesse-it pad) is used to "buff it off".
    Once removed, the trim is hit up with their "exterior dressing". Which is a silicone based dressing, that is, near as i can tell, the exact same shit that Griots uses for their undercarriage spray (which would make sense as that product is shipped in for them from a 3rd party vendor). It is sprayed in the wheel arches, used on any black trim pieces, mirrors, grills, door surrounds, etc. And is them PAINTED, yes with a fucking brush, PAINTED onto the wheels just coating the fuck out of them so they are dripping with dressing.
    Then the exterior windows are washed, and the car is rolled out, with the A/C on, the heater cranked up full bore, and left to sit for about an hour as it dries out.

Total time from starting wash to rolling out of the bay...about 2.5 hours.

The shit i saw there made me cry. Owner actually got mad at me for "being to meticulous". A criticism i will GLADLY take from a fuck up like that.

But they use this process on every car that comes through. I already mentioned the acid on the Cayman S carbon ceramic brakes. I saw the airhose/degreaser saturation on multiple satnav touch screens. Watched the dye run out of the leather seats on several cars. Even watched as the interior electrics started freaking out after a detail (wipers would shut off, radio was wigging out, window switch constantly rolling the window down, hazard lights stuck on, etc).

And now they are starting to get new dealership work from a place that deals in used luxury cars. So alot of late model BMW's, Mercedes, Lexus's, Infinitis, etc. will be coming through there. I can only imagine how their interiors will react to such treatment.

The fucked up thing is, almost every "big" detail shop works like that. It makes me cringe.

13. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

Fucking horrible. Bad thing is, this is how it is done in about 85% of the "detail" shops out there. I saw when I worked for dealerships. Hell even then I knew it wasn't right.

No wonder we (I) get so many compliments.

14. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

I would only let a detailer do paint correction and waxing that I don't have the patience to do. The other stuff like cleaning interiors is easy and I don't get why people can't do that themselves.

15. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

People are cheap. This what they get for $150.

You could examine almost every service industry, and the bulk of the work goes to "hacks" who charge the cheap rates. You yourself probably buy most of your services (photography, electricians, massage therapists, vetenarians) at the "hack" level.

None of what you list is permanent and harmful...except getting degreaser behind gauges, radios, NAV systems, and radio displays. :nono:

16. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

People can clean vomit, feces, coffee, yellow/orange/red food stains, buttons, columns, switches, window tracks, pet hair, smoke odor, seatbelts, and water spotting "themselves". :rofl:

17. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

this is what I was thinking the whole time i read that piece. i've seen it done, hell I've done it some here and there.

Buck-O: there's a reason those shops have the revenue they do vs. the revenue you have. nothing against you, but these shops are in business to make a lot of money, and they've developed a way that works very well for them, with results good enough to please the customer. :dunno: just my .02

18. Evan

Evan OT Supporter

I posted this like 3 months ago in the main.

19. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

The best manager I have ever had, well actually Vice President told me, Ozz, If people did their jobs right you would not have a job.

20. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

so fucking true