damn graphics card

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Cornrow Wallace, May 10, 2006.

1. Cornrow Wallace

Cornrow Wallace New Member

lately ive been having real bad problems with my graphics card over heating. normally it would sit at 50c normal and while playing it would go up to around 78 not to bad. but as of a souple of weeks ago it when it just sits there the temp goes up to around 77 and while i play any game be it bf 2 or c&c red alert it will jump to around 110+. i always clean the shit out of my comp and the card. its a bfg 6800gt. any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

does the fan work??

3. jwynn

jwynn Yeah I Know I Dont Have Enough Posts

Ditto the fan comment. Hell, does it even have a fan? Some of the cheap OEMs don't.

If it doesnt have a fan or its broken and out of warranty look for some air blowers that go where your PCI card slots are and put one right under the video card.

If it has a fan and works. Return the card if under warranty for a new one. If your out of warranty, then try an air blower or take it to your local tech shop (not Bestbuy, CircuitCity, etc) try a little place. They may be able to replace the heatsink and fan for cheap or help you out with a trade or something. They tend to be very helpful.

4. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

It's a BFG, so definitely not a cheap OEM.
    But as the others have said, check the fan. BFG has a great warranty (lifetime, I think?). Call them and see what they recommend.