SRS damage control

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Placenta Pasta, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Placenta Pasta

Placenta Pasta rb25det powered

Hi Guys,

I was taking heaps of gear (methamphetamines) every 2-3 days for about 12 months. I've finally gotten off them and managed to stay off for 4 weeks which I'm really stoked about, but since I've been off them I've been having horrible nightmares.. eg. In one of them (recurring) someone pushes me onto the train tracks at central station in front of a train and I can only move in super slow motion, like an inch every 30 seconds and get hit and wake up in a cold sweat :eek4:

*OR* as pathetic as this sounds I dream about smoking meth and it seems very real even the effects and then I wake up and have really hardcore cravings. Is there anything I can do about this or will I just have to perservre? Does anyone have similar experiences? How long will they take to go away? (if ever :wtc))

Also I don't know how to word this but how much would I of damaged my capacity for thought? I was averaging about 100-150bucks a week most weeks since this time last year.. I'm really worried I'm drugfucked now :sadwavey: Will studying help? Short term memory excerises? I've heard amphetamines permanantly rewire your brain.. god I was such a loser taking that shit

2. Rellik

Rellik New Member

http://www.drugabuse.gov/MedAdv/00/NR3-27.html

snippets:

"New research shows that those who use methamphetamine, often called "meth" or "speed," risk long-term damage to their brain cells similar to that caused by strokes or Alzheimer's disease."

"While the meth users in this study hadn't used the drug for some time--anywhere from two weeks to 21 months, this research strongly suggests that methamphetamine abuse causes harmful physical changes in the brain that can last for many months and perhaps longer after drug use has stopped"

"The researchers found that levels of one chemical marker, N-acetyl-aspartate, were reduced by at least five percent in the methamphetamine abusers. "Many diseases associated with brain cell loss or damage, such as Alzheimer's disease, stroke, and epilepsy, are also associated with reduced N-acetyl-aspartate," said Dr. Ernst. "Reduced concentrations of N-acetyl-aspartate in the drug users' brains suggest that long-term methamphetamine abuse results in loss or damage to neurons, the cells we use in thinking."

"The researchers, who received funding from NIDA, plan to conduct more extensive studies to determine if these brain changes caused by methamphetamine abuse might be reversed or corrected by treatment."

:(

Maybe they made up some treatements? The article's 5 years old...

3. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

It's my opinion that you didn't damage your brain to drastically from 1 year of meth-use. I used meth for longer, and feel few lingering effects. Daily use of meth for 3 to 4 years can be a different story.

However, as far as your cravings and dreams go, I suggest you get yourself to a meeting and introduce yourself to a 12-step fellowship to see if it may work for you. Since beginning recovery in Narcotics Anonymous, I rarely have cravings, and when I do I usually know what relapse will bring (nothing but pain, loads of it). I also have a support group I can call when I really feel like using. The dreams are something you may have to deal with for a while, I still get them every week or so, HOWEVER, when I wake up, I don't have cravings, I am simply relieved to still be clean and glad I'm not high anymore (as I was in my dream). Anyway, good luck recovering.

4. Placenta Pasta

Placenta Pasta rb25det powered

thanks guys :bigthumb:

5. scottymcc

scottymcc New Member

For me it has given me an acute psycosis.

Seems to be a mixed mania - a kind of bi-polar illness were I get problems from both mania and depression.

In my case it's cureable though I still need to find the right meds.

I used most weekends for maybe one or two years.

Some people are just more at risk than others

Last edited: Feb 20, 2005
  6. anomaly

anomaly If you weren't around for the original HA.net spli

You're going through one of the longer term symptoms of physical withdrawl. You really should go to a NA meeting, where you can talk in person with people who can relate.
    When I quit I had nightmares for about 6 months afterwards, and after nearly 3 years I STILL get using dreams from time to time.