DaimlerChrysler Will Produce Dodge M80 and Jeep Compass.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by TriShield, Apr 4, 2002.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Both will retail under $25,000 fully loaded, and start near $17,000.

Dodge M80

[​IMG]

Harboring a secret longing for the toys of your dimly recollected youth? If so, the M80's got your number; with its squat, rounded lines, the vehicle looks an awful lot like that childhood fave, the Tonka truck. Slate-gray plastic bumpers and fenders, round headlamps and Dodge's trademark stainless-steel-look grille conspire to lend the vehicle's front fascia a certain plucky charm. The M80's profile manages to be both uncluttered and imposing, with push-button door handles, integrated plastic side storage lockers and massive 20-inch wheels. In rear, the truck boasts super-sized performance-tuned dual exhaust pipes and gleaming round taillights. A 5-foot cargo bed offers ample room for hauling. The back of the truck's cab boasts a full-width flipper glass that allows easy access to the bed; owners may add the cabin to the vehicle's load-length by leaving the flipper-glass open.

[​IMG]

Inside, the M80 is rugged and decidedly no-frills, but that doesn't mean it's short on excitement; the truck is loaded with what Dodge deems "youthful and unexpected" features. The vehicle's cabin gets a sporty edge thanks to Detonator Yellow sheetmetal panels; driving the look home are satin-silver hard plastic covers, gobs of aluminum metal trim, and water-repelling Neoprene-look seat trim. The truck's center console does double duty as a portable cooler, and its fold-flat seats may be removed and used outdoors. There's a vehicle-wide wet-good bin behind the seats; the instrument panel also boasts a large storage drawer. Simple back-lit gauges keep the driver abreast of crucial information. The audio and heating systems are operated via large rotary knobs, and aluminum foot pedals play up the vehicle's performance aspirations.

Based on a Dodge Dakota frame, the M80 features an independent front suspension and leaf-spring solid rear axle. The truck is powered by a 3.7-liter V6 tuned to serve up 210 horsepower and 235 pound-feet of torque, with a standard four-wheel-drive transfer case and a five-speed manual tranny connecting its grunt to the tarmac.

The M80's slew of off-the-shelf parts would make production versions affordable.

[​IMG]

Jeep Compass

[​IMG]

The Compass represents an all-new design philosophy from Jeep. This car will not climb the Rubicon trail, in fact, it doesn't even have low-range off-road gears. Instead, all-wheel-drive traction gives the [Compass rally car-like capability to fulfill the Jeep tradition of outdoor adventure. A 3.7-liter, 210-horsepower V6 gives it plenty of road-shredding power, while the short wheelbase assures quick, precise handling reflexes.

[​IMG]

The interior is a futuristic, but not overly complicated. "Even as the instrument panel looks like the cockpit of a fighter jet with technical dials and gauges — and, of course, a compass — we have kept the interior styling simple, uncluttered and functional," said designer Michael Castiglone. The four-passenger vehicle has bucket seats front and back, with folding rear seatbacks that create a flat, steel-covered load floor.

[​IMG]

Jeep is trying to explore ways to expand its popular brand name beyond traditional sport-utilities. The Compass looks like a good way to do this without completely leaving behind the off-road tradition.

2. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

Are they really going to make the M80? They've had it on the drawing table for at least 5-6 years.

3. jeeps4u

jeeps4u OT's Master Tech

I wouldnt be suprised if DC cancelled the production of the wrangler, and replaced it with some watered down pussymobile such as the compass

4. Defiantguy21

Defiantguy21 Guest

The M80 looks pretty cool but the Compass is just plain idiotic.

5. The wheels and tires on the M80 look pretty bad ass, cant say the same for the rest of it though, still all around neat truck though. Cool that they are actually going throguh with it.

6. tenchuninja

tenchuninja Guest

m-80 looks like a cross between tonka truck, jeep liberty and e46 m3 (the thingy on the fenders).

7. tenchuninja

tenchuninja Guest

the compass looks like an audi allroad with an a4/a6 rear end. butt ooogaly.

8. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

I think the M80 is sweet, looks like a Power Wagon.
    The Compass is nice too for a crossover. I saw both of them today at the NY auto show. :big grin:

9. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

I think both look much like what is seen below.
    :barf:

10. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

The M80 is a modern take on the WWII Power Wagon.

Not sure how I feel about the Compass, sounds like they were going for a WRX style vehicle only larger? It needs a V8 under the hood, any engine with some serious power.

I doubt Jeep will ever cancel the Wrangler, it's as old as the Jeep brand itself.

11. jeeps4u

jeeps4u OT's Master Tech

so were the solid axles werent they?.. I mean jeep has made a few IFS models before, but they were SO rare, I wouldn't be suprised if they dropped the basic design and warped it into somthing such as the compass and put the wrangler name on it

12. jerky1280

jerky1280 Guest

Um...there's just something about 20's on a truck (or whatever those are) that turns me off. I'd rather see 15s and a set of swampers to get some sidewall flex.

13. Nemesis_152

Nemesis_152 I'm a delicate desert flower from Arizona.

IBsomeone yells about the bump

14. mayorbill11

mayorbill11 Guest

I like the compass, and if they use this 'AWD rally-like' shit for actual rally racing and offer high power versions, it would be all the more cooler.

Jeep has only used independent front suspension in the liberty thus far, the AMC Eagle of the '80s was like a Jeep, using some of the same transfer cases, less a low range, and an independent front suspension, with a solid leaf sprung axle out back, and 7-10" ground clearance controlled by air shocks.

15. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

The Wrangler is supposed to be getting IFS soon also.
    BTW, this thread is a year old.