SRS dad was an alcoholic, will this effect me a lot?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by devree, Oct 11, 2005.

1. devree

devree OT Supporter

im 18, im in college now, i get drunk from time to time. i also smoke weed sometimes. i jsut want to have fun in these great years of my life.. will it come back to bite me in the ass? do i just have to hope not?

2. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

No one else can tell you whether you are an alcoholic or an addict, that's a decision you have to make for yourself. That being said, many believe that alcoholism is genetic, and scientists are doing research in order to prove it.

I thought I NEEDED to drink and smoke weed to have fun. It is my understanding that normal people don't really believe that to be true, and have fun in many other ways. I'm an addict, take what you want from that statement.

If you're really worried about it, attend an AA meeting so you know what signs to watch out for. Even if you can't relate now, you may be able to later if you are indeed alcoholic, because the disease is progressive.

3. devree

devree OT Supporter

thanks for the input

4. hezekiah

hezekiah New Member

Your parents can teach you some pretty disgusting things.Eligh makes a good point,try to find an non chemical way to get off.It isn't terrible for you to play around especially since you're young but it'd be good to have some fun doing more productive things...

5. devree

devree OT Supporter

hmm.. i dont think "i gota get drunk tonight or it will be boring" but i mean of course it is funner at a party when i get a lil tipsy. im jsut going to be very carful, if i ever feel the NEED to drink then ill get some help or talk to my mom. thanks for the input guys

6. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I have read that children of alchoholics are genetically predisposed to have an addictive personality.

My father was an alchoholic. I'm not an alchoholic, but I have noticed that I can get sucked in to one track and stay there for a long time. I think the most important thing for you is that you realize that you have something within you that needs to be monitored. That's pretty much all it takes for me, and I would hope the same for you.

7. devree

devree OT Supporter

ya, i feel that im extra aware of myself because of my father.

8. hezekiah

hezekiah New Member

It's good that you're aware and thinking about it,That might keep out of trouble.

9. Tk

Tk Well-Known Member

my dads been an alcoholic my whole life....

my mom, sis, and i finally left him a few years ago..... he still gets sloppy drunk but i dont have to deal with the abuse, and i think the move away has improved our relationship.

to answer your question.... i do think that it is genetic.... my dads whole side of the family are alcoholics... his brother / sisters, aunts / uncles, cousins.... its disgusting to think about really. family events are more like massive drinking events. everyone has a cup of something.....

personally, after growing up in that environment, i know that is not the way i want to live my life and treat my family. i like to get drunk every now and then.... and by drunk i mean DRUNK... not wasted to the point of slurring and stumbling around, blacking out ect. i can honestly say i know what my limit is and when to stop, and thats the key thing.

now think about this.... my dads side are all alcholics.... my moms side (excluding my mom... shes a work-aholic) are 70% gambling addicts. how do you think my future looks? :noes:

10. hezekiah

hezekiah New Member

Your future has nothing to do with what other people did...

11. SICK GUY

SICK GUY 69, DUDE!!

you should probably have an idea by now of how booze effects you. my dad (and all the men in my family) are alcoholics, but i rarely drink.

like ranger-ao said, just be aware that its in you.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2005