DACP and SFP F-up -Please Help!!

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by stangclassic66, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Hello Everyone,

Been reading Scottwax's posts here and Autopia and thought I could apply DACP and SFP by hand. Here's the short story.

-Test Vehicle: 1966 Ford Mustang Fastback (Single Stage: Candy Apple Red)
    -Applicators: Ralph Lauren terry cloth bath towel (100% cotton), another large no-name 100% terry cloth bath towel, and round terry cloth pad from Target.
    -Test Product: DACP & SFP

Ok, I washed the car with Joy to remove the Zaino that was previously applied. I used the blue microfiber wash mit.

Dried with orange microfiber drying towel.

The car previously had circular swirl marks and a couple of light scratches. So I tried SFP first to see if I could remove it. Using Scottwax's terry cloth technique to get equal pressure and applied the SFP directly to the towel. Applied moderate pressure in a back and forth motion on top of the right fender. No change to the circular swirl marks. Applied the DACP with the same ammount of pressure, no change in the swirl marks. NOTE: the SS paint was being removed from car and onto the towel.

Reapplied DACP this time with two hand and more pressure. The 'circular' swirls got removed, but I NOW have 'straight' swirl marks :eek:. I cannot remove them. Please advise on the next move.

Thanks in advance.

Erik

2. bunmango

bunmango OT Supporter

I found that the terry cloths that I was using (the ones in the bulk pack from Costco) were causing some minor scratches if I used them to buff off the DACP. What are you using to remove the product, a terry cloth, or a microfiber? I found that after I switched to the microfibers, there was no more small scratches. BTW, since the scratches are "straight", they wouldn't be called "swirl marks" anymore, would they? ;)

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I answered this for you on Autopia.

More aggressive product, less pressure...but really, anything more aggressive than DACP and you probably should be using a PC.

4. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

If he now has straight marks (presumably from using the DAC/P), wouldn't it come out with the SFP. In my experience, that's usually the ticket.

5. Hey Guys,

I DACP'd the car this morning again with the directions Scott gave above refolding after EVERY section. And each section was no more than 2'x1'. I then SFP'd the car the same way. In direct California sunlight, all visible scratches and swirls were removed. Under flourescent lighting there are still some visible scratches.

I DACP'd, SFP'd and S100'd the car. I wanted to apply Z2/ZFX after the SFP but was too tired to go on. If I had VM and CMW I would have been excited to put those on, but don't have them yet. :(

The end result, the car is super smooth, shiny, reflective and has more depth than the Zaino method. S100 is amazing!!

When I get VM and CMW, can I just wash and apply?

Thanks in advance.

Erik

p.s. I will attach some pics when I get a chance to resize them. :)
    p.p.s. I guess under a flourescent light, everything comes out. Any way to remove the most minute swirls? They are NOT visible at ALL in the sunlight.

6. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Yes, when you get VM and CMW you can just wash and apply. VM is a light glaze with very fine abrasives and lots of oils so it makes the paint super slick and wet looking and CMW will deepen the color and add even more wetness.

BTW, if you love S100, you will not only love, but be sexually aroused by either CMW or Meguiars #16 Pro Paste Wax. I think #16 has been reformulated recently because I don't remember it have such an intense wet look as it does now.