A&P D90 for $200 more than d5000 - worth the extra $?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by YourMomOnRyeBun, Dec 30, 2009.

1. YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun New Member

I've a lot of research on the d5000 and it seems that it essentially has most of the guts of the D90 but the body of the D60. Is that correct?

I can find the D90 (body) for about $200 more than the d5000. Is the 90 worth the extra $$$?

I know it really comes down to budget and personal preference for a lot of the features, but I guess what I am asking is that since the D90 is a higher level camera, will it open doors down the road that wouldn't be opened with the d5000? Future flexibility? Lens options? Flash options? Remote features?

Right now...I am sure the d5000 would suit be fine. I'm far from a seasoned photographer!

I just don't to get started the d5000 and then a year from now say "gee, it would be nice if I could get this ______ for my camera. I should have bought the D90".

thanks!

2. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

lol isn't this like your 3rd thread asking this? i can related to the anxiety and decision making

i'd say yes. i have the d90. i would hate losing all those minor but useful features going to the d5000

top LCD plus 2 wheels = win

edit: hopefully you eventually use the camera on full manual. when you do, you will be so happy having the front and back wheel to spin aperture and shutter speed

3. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

oh and u also know you can't buy lenses for the d5000 that lack an internal motor. not a "huge" deal, but still a factor

4. SkiMax

SkiMax OT Supporter

wheels and top LCD were some of the major factors for me getting the D90. Viewfinder is also much nicer.

5. Sympathy

Sympathy OT Supporter

the extra $200 is definitely worth it b/c:
    1. D90 has an AF motor in the body = wider selection of lenses.
    2. D90 has separate wheels for shutter and aperture adjustment.
    3. D90 has CLS.

6. Sympathy

Sympathy OT Supporter

this is a huge deal :o

7. SkiMax

SkiMax OT Supporter

ah yes CLS is awesome, works perfectly with my sb-600 so far!

8. percent

percent deluded

(Tho I'd say the same about the D90 not metering with AI lenses :o)

9. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

really? only the nifty fifty i have needs it so far. all my other lenses have motors

is that commander mode? can the d5000 not fire flashes? that is def a nice feature. no need to buy anything extra :bowdown:

10. YourMomOnRyeBun

LOL ... yeah...

But this one compares the two, where before I was just asking about the D5000. ;)

I just don't want to repeat the mistake I made last night when I bought an Sony A100 a few years back and was disappointed. So I am going to do my research this time. Even if that means bugging you guys who know what you are talking about! lol

11. Sympathy

Sympathy OT Supporter

1. some of the nicer 3rd party lenses (eg tokina 11-16, tamron 90mm don't come with a built in motor).
    2. there's also a wider range of nikon lenses that come into play if you have an internal af motor. And they're usually cheaper.

12. SkiMax

SkiMax OT Supporter

50mm 1.8 :bowdown: best $100 i have spent

13. ericande

ericande Active Member

Yes, without a doubt, get the D90. $200 isn't really that much. I couldn't live without an AF motor, top LCD or two wheels.

14. phigity

phigity New Member

Def worth the money. IMO the D3000 and D5000 aren't worth a damn. Better off going low end with a D40 or higher with a D90. Or get a used D80/D200

15. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

if you go to newegg and search d5000 and d90, newegg has a ton of pictures of each camera.

just looking at the d5000 pisses me off. so many buttons it lacks that the d90 has. i would hate to have to drill menus for that shit

16. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

This right there is worth the 200.

Shooting in manual with 1 wheel sucks ass!

Plus D90 bigger screen and way better button layout.

I had a D60 and the body was pure shit for manual shooting.

17. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

No front and rear dials no care.

18. wrong1

wrong1 Member

You seem to be on the fents here... MInus whale get a used d40/d60 kit. Great to learn on... You might decide that they are all you need. If not, use them for a while... learn all you can from them.... then (because you bought used) sell them for what you paid and upgrade then.

19. wrong1

wrong1 Member

and just to answer your question... if you are firm on it either being d5000 or d90... $200 is really not a big dif in this hobby... D90 all the way.

20. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

I just upgraded from a D60 that was a gift 9 months ago. I can't believe the night and day difference. The D60 is ok at best.

The 3 AF points suck ass
    The body is ehhh layout (if you shoot manual you are constantly changing menu options where the D90 is push a button spin a dial).
    1 wheel adjustment blows
    Horrible high ISO performance
    3 AF points are worthless
    Bigger LCD screen is nice to actually see the bloody picture you just took
    Top screen to see your settings is a godsend instead of interpreting them through the eyepiece.

The top screen, menu, 1 wheel are well worth the 200 dollars of the price increase from the 5000 to the 90.

Those features plus the 3 AF and the higher ISO are worth the money to dump a D60.

Yes I know you can frame and recompose with the 3 AF points but after going to 11 it is nice to no longer have to be that way especially if the object has any movement. I could not imagine 51 on the 300s.

Not saying the d60 is a bad camera because it is a great camera to learn on just seems with this hobby we are forced to chose between a little bit more expensive option and a cheaper solution. A year or so down the road we are kicking ourselves in the ass for not spending the couple hundred more to get a more viable solution.

21. YourMomOnRyeBun

Okay...I finally made a decision. You guys have talked me into the D90. lol

I got some good news that made it a little easier.

We are about to cancel our Sears Master card and we need to spend our points. As it turns out, I have enough points to get $2000 in Sears gift cards. There was a ton of other things to pick...but I went with the gift cards. Then the light bulb went on...I wonder if Sears carries SLR cameras? Sure enough, they do. So I am ordering the D90, bag memory card, etc. And still have enough left over for something else down the road. Sure I will be "paying" a bit more than I would be somewhere else, but heck, it's basically "free" at the same time. BIG GRIN!!!

22. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

:rofl: nicely done with gift cards

i'm jealous

23. sirreal

sirreal Unblockable OT Supporter

I posted a month or so ago about getting a D90 vs. a D40 and walked away from the thread thinking I'd get a D90. Then I read some articles about the D5000, did some research and thought 'hmm...that might be a decent cheaper alternative...'. And then I read this thread and am back to thinking about getting the D90 :rofl: