A&P D90 crew, need a little help

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by wrong1, Mar 21, 2010.

1. wrong1

wrong1 Member

Just picked up a D90 and a 50 1.4. Having a little debate right now. It seems to be noisy at all iso's, and front focusing? The focusing could be user error. If it isnt, I'll send it back. The noise though. What setting could I have messed up to cause the noise? Or is this how it should look?

Its taking some decent pics...

[​IMG]

iso 1250
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the images look decent at "internet sizes" but even at iso 200 they are noisy at 100%

unedited straight out of cam jpeg iso 200

[​IMG]

100% crop
    [​IMG]

anyone in d90 crew care to post up some 100% crops at 200 iso? My other nikons arent this noisy at 200.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  2. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

Having the same sensor as the D300, and you owning a D700... I can see why you think its noisy. I think the same thing when I shoot w/ the D300.

3. wrong1

wrong1 Member

Dam, I dont remember my d300 being that noisy. I also have a d40, and I think even thats cleaner. I really like it's higher iso performance... just thought the d90's base iso's would be cleaner.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  4. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

:jpeg:

and IByouturnedincamsharpeningtothemax

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  5. wrong1

wrong1 Member

You nailed it. It wasn't maxed but It was +6 or +7, knocked it down to +4 major improvement.

As far as your :jpeg: comment. I set up my cameras to give me what I'm looking for straight off cam in jpeg. I shoot raw +jpeg fine. Raw is there for those times that I want to exercise a little creativity, when I need that extra dynamic range or for that 1% of the time that I don't get it right the first time.

6. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

i give it a month before you go all raw and say fuck getting it right on camera

7. wrong1

wrong1 Member

Don't get me wrong. I do understand the merits of shooting raw, and I do quite often. I just know when I need it and when I don't. Here's a d700 jpeg, spent 2 minutes or less editing it in lightroom... sure a raw file might have let me pull a little more detail out of the sky... but did it make or break the picture?

[​IMG]

8. kid

kid recovering alcoholic

:bowdown: pic

i will grab my d90 today, and a "how to take pictures for fucking retards" book. debating on lenses - i think i want wider over zoom for my money and i'm looking at body only deals...

9. wrong1

wrong1 Member

Really weird here. I can not get a razor sharp image out of this body with any 50mm lens. Could it be a D90 problem? Maybe thats why leet hates 50mm's so much? Ive tested this body with every lens I have. 17-35, 70-200, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, 50 1.8, 60 2.8... All of them razor sharp, even wide open. All but the 50mm lenses. Both of them are fine on the d700, totally usable wide open. Every shot I take with a 50mm on this D90 looks this soft.

[​IMG]

At this size it looks more like thin dof, but @100% it is clear that there is nothing sharp in this image. Shot after shot, just like this. Even stopped down.

Here are a couple shots I consider "sharp" from other lenses on the same body.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone have any ideas?