A&P D90 arrives today! I'm a noob...now what do I do?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by YourMomOnRyeBun, Jan 15, 2010.

1. YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun New Member

I finally made up my mind and decided to get the D90. Long story short, I used point on my credit card to "buy" the camera, so I decided to step up a model from the D5000 I had been looking at and just get the D90. People seem to give it a lot of love...so it must be a good camera.

I have CERTAINLY "over bought" for my skill level, I know that. But I want to learn (HAVE to learn) so that I can eventually use this camera to its potential.

So...what do I do?

Obviously take lots of pictures and practice.

Good books you could recommend?
    I will read the user manual, but those usually suck. (Electronics in general) I've seen a DVD video specifically for this camera, so I might check that out.

All I know is if I just pick it up and start taking pictures, all I will do is re-enforce bad habbits, or ignorant habbits like "Auto" mode. :mamoru: I've read a lot of the "rate my pics" threads on here so I am beginning to get a grasp of what makes a "good picture".

Feed me information! :noes:

I'm like Johnny 5! "Need more input"!

***Note the camera comes with the basic kit lens (18-100?). So I am also trying to develop my skills to the point where I can properly determine what lens I should buy. Probably need somethign that goes to the 200mm range for what I will use the camera for.

2. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

good choice. the d90 is amazing.

when i got mine, i read this guide about 10 times and went through the menus on the camera so many times. i wanted to know every setting and what i wanted

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d90/users-guide/index.htm

The shitty manual that comes with it sucks. I bought a guide off amazon but I only read a few pages of it. Ken's guide plus using it are all you need.

also, buy this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263567432&sr=8-1

don't question it, just buy it. you will learn so much from this book. i love it, i'm in the middle of reading it yet again.

focus on using the camera in M/AV/S mode. Stay away from P/auto/other shit.

leave it on standard profile, auto white balance, matrix metering, auto dynamic lighting. for now, learn the custom menus and read ken's guide

work on learning shutter/aperture/iso

also... 2 settings you need to change right away

make sure the camera locks with no memory card
    make sure the file names are sequential

both of these are covered in ken's guide. the damn camera comes set to always start naming the pics at 0 and i believe it comes by default that it works without a memory card. for a noob, you can shoot pics and realize you dont have a card in.

and stick with the kit lens until you realize it's limitations. then come back to OTAP asking for recommendations on a 2nd lens

3. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

and don't use the onboard flash with the kit lens. in fact, dont ever use the onboard flash unless you absolutely need to with a small prime lens

4. YourMomOnRyeBun

Awesome links. Thanks!

5. MawcDrums

MawcDrums Active Member

:werd:

6. Bukka

Bukka Active Member

Get out and shoot....read...shoot more with what you've learned....read some more...shoot some more..rinse and repeat a few times. THEN get into post processing.

7. YourMomOnRyeBun

I agree with that!

I've seen people (even in here) waste their time with the processing when the picture they started with sucks.

8. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

I like this noob! ;)

9. hellagrant

hellagrant New Member

Wow, that ken rockwell website is amazing. short and too the point! Thanks. I recently got a D90 as well and I am in the same position as OP, I suck.

What is meant by,
    make sure the camera locks with no memory card

10. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

Ken Rockwell isn't exactly the "be-all" for camera information, so please don't read him for more than just pure entertainment.

The no memory card thing means the camera won't take any pictures unless a memory card is inserted. Yes, people have taken entire sets of xmas pics without a memory card and LOL's ensued.

11. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

true, but his guide on the d90 is pretty damn good

12. hellagrant

hellagrant New Member

haha that would suck. I don't think any camera comes with a hard drive.

13. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

i can see how it's a nice feature for demonstrating at like best buy, but it sucks the default setting is set to allow pics without a card.

14. AmosBanks

AmosBanks New Member

One of the first things you can experiment with is white balance. It is amazing what switching to overcast, incandescent or florescent can do in the right environment.

15. jminsi2000

jminsi2000 OT Supporter

I got a D90 this week also and I'm also a photography noob. I also recommend Understanding Exposure. Picked that up at B&N and it's great.

16. mestizo

mestizo New Member

lol ken rockwell