A&P D80 too much for beginner?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Rojo Johnson, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Rojo Johnson

Rojo Johnson Active Member

My wife and I have been looking at some good cameras since our p & s took a crap on us. A friend of ours has the D40 and we like it a lot. I've been reading about the D80 and it seems worth the extra price.

Would it be too much for us being beginners? Honestly we know very little about photography but I think it would be fun to learn together.

2. tek

tek New Member

I started with d80, and i worked my skills pretty fast with it, though i do regret all the unnecessary accuations

3. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

If you can see yourself really getting into it then a D80 is a great choice. If you just want nicer looking pictures but don't plan on using any lenses outside the 18-55 and 55-200 that come with the kit, then the D40/D40x is an okay choice too. I personally started with a D50 (the entry level dslr at the time) about 2 years ago and really got into it. I wasn't really happy with the D50's performance at high ISO and if you plan on shooting sports of any kind its kinda slow (same with D40). So I upgraded to a D300 a few months ago.

Basically, you can't go wrong with a D80 if you can afford it, but if you get a D40 and then start getting into photography more you may regret not getting the D80 to begin with.

Also, the D40 does not have an internal auto-focus mechanism, which limits the lenses that it can use considerably. Look into that if you end up leaning towards the D40, it can be a pain in the ass.

4. themolsen

themolsen New Member

d80 would be a fine choice if your budget allows it, otherwise the d50 would be my next recommendation

5. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

D80 should be the beginner camera... anything lower is just kids play.

6. themolsen

themolsen New Member

well that's a silly thing to say.

7. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

Well, after years of photographing, I have learned one thing: you'll always want more. When I bought my first 10D, I wanted a 20D. Then I got a 20D and wanted a 30D shortly thereafter etc. Now I've moved up to wanting a 1D. Same with lens. After buying a 70-200 f4 L, all I wanted was the f2.8 L IS. SO after the years I have learned to get the best that was in my budget and if I could not afford it, then I would wait until I could. If you're serious then nothing will be "too much" for you. You'll grow into and out of whatever it is you buy and want more, so minus whale get the D3 ... err D80.

8. Girth

anything else is way too small w/ a lot more limitations. If you have big hands like me, its going to feel like you're holding a 5 year old's camera. :dunno:

9. Girth

sad, but true. :hs:

10. Rojo Johnson

Rojo Johnson Active Member

Yeah I have some paws on me; our old camera felt like a cell phone in my hand. We checked out a D40 last night while we were at Wal-Mart and it felt nice, the only problem is my wife is tiny and it feels huge to her... I'm 6'6" and she's 5'2".:naughty:

Thanks for all the comments. I was planning on shooting some sports with it though. Nothing serious, just maybe some of our softball or my basketball games. Is it still okay? What's a good price for one and a good place to buy?

Thanks again.

11. Bloke

Bloke Banned

i recrommend KEH

12. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

i think the d80 is a nice starter camera. I would rather have a slightly larger camera than a slightly smaller camera. The d40 is somewhat limiting to begin with and the d80 is more DSLR whereas the d40 is more of an advanced p&s.

13. Girth

go with the D80... you'll have a lot more choices in lenses down the road. I bought mine at the start of last year w/ full intentions of just buying for taking normal pics. $10,000+ , a D300, 5 lenses, and a mac pro and DBA for a for a photography business later, here I am trying NOT to buy more stuff. Its addicting... a little TOO addicting if you ask me. :hs:

14. Girth

after owning the D300, the D80 feels tiny in my hands. I'm going to buy a grip for it just to make it feel bigger. :hs:

15. dmora

dmora Guest

D80 is great for a beginner, but reember you always replace bodies, before you replace lenses. Invest in the best lenses you can.

16. Sympathy

Sympathy OT Supporter

i bought a d40, but changed to a d80 within 2 weeks.
    the lack of an in body AF motor in the d40 was a big drawback in terms of the selection of lenses for the camera. get the d80.

17. Jarg0n

Jarg0n New Member

I've had a D80 for about 6 months. It's a fantastic beginner camera. I'm glad I didn't get a D40, but money really isn't an issue to me either.

18. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

only if you want to get into photography... if you just want photos - you'll get better results with a higher-end canon powershot or something like that.