A&P D80 - best lens to start with?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by jared_IRL, Oct 10, 2006.

1. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

I was looking to get the Sony Alpha, because I have a few Minolta lenses, but the more I look at the D80, the more I think i'm gonna go that way...

Anyway, Now that i'm looking at the D80, I wanna make sure I get the right lens, without overspending.

How's the 18-135? The 18-55? Should I just get the body, and get a different lens?

Keep in mind, the body only is $1k, the 18-55 is $1100, and the 118-135 is $1300...

thanks!

2. Blair

Blair New Member

3. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

from what i hear the 18-135 has some maddd distortion problems at both ends. i wouldnt try it...for a fist lens i guess it depends on what you're going to do with it

portrait? 50mm f/1.8
    landscape? 12-24
    sports? 70-300 or 70-200 VR ;)

if i had to choose my first lens again it would probably be the 50mm f/1.8

good luck

4. Cobber

Cobber Wanna touch my bunny hole?

Funny you mention the Alpha ... I stopped in to The Sony Store and check out the A ... What a shitty camera. There is no LCD to view shooting info and no second dial ... I thought this was going to be compairable with the D80 and 30D?

5. Redliner7

Redliner7 New Member

I absoultley love my tamron 17-50 2.8 -- it has replaced my D70 18-70 as the walk around lens. I seem to get better shots more often with it.

6. Airpoppoff

Airpoppoff Vodka > Racing F1

It's sharp for a kit lens though.

7. Blair

Blair New Member

i have considered this lens in the past, any details on where you bought it or sample pictures. feel free to PM me.

8. saebryan

saebryan New Member

I had the same expirience with the Alpha. After holding it, I couldnt believe anyone that has had any expirience with canon or nikon would even consider buying it. It reminded me of a rattling package on christmas morning.

9. Redliner7

Redliner7 New Member

I'll have to post them later -- i'm out of town right now.

I seriously didn't mind the stock 18-70 lens though. I got plenty of good shots out of it. But having said that, the Tamron has def. replaced my 18-70 as a walkaround.

I got it from B&H b/c of their return policy - paid $450. I've heard that some Tamrons are good and some are bad, depending on the batch. I feel like i got my money's worht, and than some for sure. So just something to chew on.

10. ftslogger

ftslogger OT Supporter

My 18-55 took a crap, the build quality isn't that great - I looked around at the Sigma's, Tamrons and then Nikon. Everyone I talked to, pro's and camera shops, said that the best lens to replace my lens with was the 18-70. It is sharp as a tack and I really am enjoying it. I was thinking about the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5, and they said the glass isn't as good as the Nikon - EVERYONE said stick with brand lenses..

If you have Nikon - Use Nikon lenses, and the same for Canon. The third parties are getting there, but they have to reverse engineer what the the manufac. are doing.

:dunno:

11. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

Tokina 12-24 as a walk around lens. I use it more than any of my other lenses (18-70, 50mm, 70-300)

12. Blair

Blair New Member

13. Cobber

Cobber Wanna touch my bunny hole?

And the friggen thing would focus all the time ... like a P&S. Press the shutter half way down and it would focus at the object you point it at ... move the camera away and you can feel the buzz in your hand when it tries to refocus with out you telling it to ... it fucking sucked all around

14. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

that's the 'eye start' feature. You can turn it off.

15. phish

phish hockey crew