A&P D70 vs D70S?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Alt+F4, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Alt+F4

Alt+F4 official OT hockey stud

I know there's a firmware upgrade to make the D70 similar to the S...any other differences that I should care about?

Would this be a good first DSLR? I know I've posted a dozen different cameras that I've 'almost' bought but the truth is this is a pretty big purchase for me and as soon as I'm certain I've found the camera I want, something else draws my attention. Yesterday it was the 350D (a bit too $$), today it's a used D70. I like the used prices, and since they're a couple years old, some folks are selling them with an extra lens, bag, mem, etc.

I can't make up my mind for shit, but so far the D70 looks pretty good in terms of both price and features...

2. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

the only difference is the LCD size (2" vs. 1.8"). you can upgrade the firmware to have a similar menu as the d70s, which isn't a big deal. I have a d70 and its a great camera. very solid.

3. Crossett

Crossett New Member

:werd:

this is the only difference

after the firmware upgrade the menus and the autofocus are the same. buy the cheaper one, .2" on the LCD doesnt matter

4. Alt+F4

Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
  5. Crossett

Crossett New Member

yes that the kit lens

6. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

just stay away from ebay kits that give you a card, card reader, bag, etc., with it. that is the kit lens.

7. Alt+F4

Yeah I've already asked about those huge package deals on ebay and been warned...I'm avoiding those. I'm looking for someone who's upgraded and had the D70 as their personal camera. There seem to be quite a few of those...

8. macadamiaman

macadamiaman New Member

I bought a used D70 last Thanksgiving. The guy had it for about a year, never used the kit lens (that he included with it), and had about 6000 actuations.

You don't use the screen when shooting - maybe to quickly review a picture here and there - so a screen size of 0.2" shouldn't make any difference.

Go with a used D70. I couldn't be happier. I got it for $600 with a crumpler bag, kit lens, and body. Picked up 2 Lexar 80x 1gb for $60 each. Couldn't be happier.