A&P D70 info for Canadians

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Jazz, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Jazz

Jazz Powerhouse of the Scrum

I went to my local Lens & Shutter today to see if they had a D70 i could play with. They didn't have one in stock, but said they'd be getting another shipment later this week/early next week and they'd set one aside for me so I could come in and look at it.

The Canadian price breakdown right now is $1499CDN for the body only and $1899CDN for the body + kit lens. That's more than the american price of $1299US for body + kit lens which is ~$1735CDN at today's exchange rate...ontop of that the only people that will ship to Canada I've found are Ritz and Wolf Camera and they want ~$65CDN for shipping. That means locally it's only about $100 more and I'm sure the locals will happily drop that $100 off the price in a month or so after the initial hype dies down a bit.

Lens and Sutter also offers a four seminar intro course for $15 if you buy the camera from them:
    Seminar 1: Single Lens Reflex Overview, Accesory Lenses, Films
    Seminar 2: Composition, Learning to See the Light
    Seminar 3: Electronic Flash, Photographing People, Filters
    Digital Photography Seminar: An Introduction and Beyond

New to Nikon Canada is that they are upping their lens warranties from 2 years to 5 years to match Nikon USA and are actually one-uping the Americans by offering a 2 year warranty on the D70 body as opposed to 1 year in the states (all subject to you sending in the extended warranty card within 10 days of purchase...otherwise you're down to 1 year on both camera and lens). All Canadian sold Nikon's have also had the firmware update to 1.01 done (the reason for the initial shipment delay from Mar. 19th to the 24th).

After talking to Nikon Canada I learned that not only will they not honour the warranty on american purchased products, but they won't even touch the camera...if something goes wrong they won't fix it even if you pay them. Nikon USA said they couldn't ship a warranty repair back to Canada even if I did pay the shipping so I'd need an American return shipping address.

Hopefully that helps any Canadians looking for some info.

2. Vilnius

Vilnius Bruised, battered, and scarred but hard. OT Supporter

This is the one thing I've never really understood about Nikon.

For such a large company, they've got some pretty restrictive practices for sales and warranty.

A Canon warranty is useable, anywhere in the world, for the period of at least one year from purchase. I can buy "grey" goods from Japan, or wherever, and just walk it into my local Canon centre with for any repairs.

They've even fixed items for me, out of warranty when it was a "common issue", or mfg defect, free of charge.

I guess it allows their subsidiary import companies (Like Nikon USA or Nikon Canada) to set their pricing completely independent of one another, while minimizing a lot of cross border sales. (In which Nikon Canada would stand to lose a lot)

V

3. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Thanks SO MUCH for this info, you could've just saved me $200 box. Because I was gonna get the extented warranty from Henrys, but now if Nikon is offering 2 year + 1 year from my credit card company. That's good enough for me.

$1899 for the body + the 18-70mm lens is just sweet.

Was also considering 300D and Sony 828. The quality from 828 is a joke. Due to physical limitation (size of CCD) I guess. The 300D is not a bad deal, but I can't stand the body. Also the lens comes with it in a bundle is crappy.

Oh regarding to the warranty policy, that's totally new to me. I didn't know there's such difference between Canon and Nikon. I think Nikon should consider change their policy. Because people do travel with their gears, just like laptop computers. I don't see IBM sells getting hurt due to their international warranty.

IMHO, Nikon Canada will lose some sales to the gray market, yet they will also gain some sales from competitors if they offer better warranty policy. Which offsets each other, yet the company gets a better reputation.

4. chlywly

chlywly Active Member

Wow I ordered mine from an american retailer!! THen as it came to customs I told them to ship it back b/c I ended up having to pay and everything anyways, + the guys didn't make it clear to me wether the warranty would work.

Anyways after days of confusion and calling the courrier and shipper, they should be sending it back, hope to get my refund within 4-5business days, then buy one from here maybe at a local henrys or something :)

5. Vilnius

Vilnius Bruised, battered, and scarred but hard. OT Supporter

Buy it from a store in Quebec or something (outside of Ontario) and save yourself the PST.

V

6. elmie

elmie New Member

You want the best price fellow CDN's?

www.simonscamera.com

I bought my 10D from them for $1889. I haven't seen any place cheaper than that in Canada.

7. chlywly

chlywly Active Member

Thanks that place looks great :) and its quebec, good idea. I'm going to get it from there.

8. Jazz

That place looks good, but it's only $10 cheaper...same price can be had at http://www.vistek.ca/ . I guess the out of province PST savings (almost $140 for the camera kit!!!) is the big thing.

Best place I know of for memory is www.canadacomputers.com ...on College a block or two west of Spadina. I've only been there when I use to be at UofT living on campus, but I'm pretty sure they don online orders. 512MB Sandisk Ultra II for only $198 :)

9. elmie

elmie New Member

ummm...vistek is selling for $1999. Not $1889. Thats a $110 difference!

10. Jazz

11. chlywly

chlywly Active Member

THE PST savings are definetely worth it :)

12. elmie

elmie New Member

13. chlywly

chlywly Active Member

You have both 10D and D70... I'm personaly deciding between D100.D70.10D leaning towards D70 due to better specs and price... but leaning away due to certani moire/blooming issues; which arent the end of the world.

14. Flup

Flup Guest

Lucky bastards! In Denmark the body costs about 9000-10000 DKR (2100Cad) :/