A&P D40 vs. D3000? $60 price difference, so D3000 is it, right?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Tergiversator, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Tergiversator

Tergiversator special member OT Supporter

Or is it not worth the money/inferior in some way?

Edit: And let's throw Rebel XS in here for good measure... I like the live view on LCD

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  2. dmora

dmora Guest

i think they're the same price points aimed at starters. And the D3000 is newer. I'd go with the 3000. :dunno: havent researched either of them.

3. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

for 60 bucks, yeah, i'd get the newer camera.

4. percent

percent deluded

D40 > D3000. The D40 has lower pixel density, higher base ISO (for less noise throughout the range), beefier internal flash, and faster flash sync (1/500).

The only thing the D3000 has that matters is a bigger LCD screen.

The D40 is a gem. The D3000 is a piece of shit.

5. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

can you squeeze another $300? both those cameras are meh

go d90 bro

6. Tergiversator

I'm a "meh" beginner myself.

I guess the thread should have really been:

Nikon D3000 vs Rebel XS

7. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

i'm a beginner myself. i was seriously debating the rebel line before purchasing the d90 in summer. i'm SOOOO glad i didn't get a rebel. once you start using a good camera and realize the features you have and wouldn't have had on a rebel, it's just insane

new d90 body is like $800ish now. get a 35 1.8 prime to start for $200. it's a great lens and it will force you to compose shots. get more lenses down the road

8. Tergiversator

It's outside of my budget right now.

I wanna spend $450-550 on a beginner DSLR kit, then start playing with lenses and such down the road.

9. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

negative ghostrider.

The d40 has one flaw that should instantly eliminate it from ANY consideration - 3 fucking gay ass focus points.

The d3000 has the same 11 point focus you'll find in the d80 and d200.

How the fuck anyone could use a camera that only allows you to focus in the vertical center of an image is beyond me.

I wouldn't let my dog use one.

With that said, the d3000 does have some problems too... Most have already been pointed out...

The d5000 isn't much more expensive than the 3000 though... If it were me, that's the cheapest i'd be able to go and be happy...

10. Nader_D

Nader_D HAHAHEHHUH ---- POOOHhHhHHCHhh! OT Supporter

i have a d60, and like jared said there are only 3focus points.

if you are just starting out, this may be a good place to start, as it wont overwhelm you. if youve ever used a DSLR or SLR, having the 11 focus points would be awesome.

i love my d60 and wouldnt have asked for a better camera to get me into this stuff, but i would love extra focus points right now :o it just means i have to be more creative with the 3

11. Nader_D

Nader_D HAHAHEHHUH ---- POOOHhHhHHCHhh! OT Supporter

and honestly...everyone says go and buy this lens that lens etc... im still using my kit lenses and i think im getting good shots. once you get into it, and think you will continue shooting, get some glass.

12. High_Boost

High_Boost New Member

I would start out used.. it opens up a much broader selection, and if you start with a beginer camera, you wont loose that much when you sell it to upgrade.. I see really cheap used D40's on CL all the time..

however, in your price range you can easily get a used xsi kit (probably with money left over) if you choose canon (or you can get the xsi kit refurbed from adorama for $550 shiped, and you will not be able to tell it isnt brand new) and I think that is a better camera than either of the ones you mentioned.. if nothing else is has 9 focus points instead of 3 like the entry level nikons, and a pretty nice 3" screen
    also, I am pretty sure the XS only has matrix metering - not spot metering function, which is pretty important.. not sure about the D40

if you are ok with old technology, you could get an old prosumer camera, like the canon 30D in your price range. They are built better than the rebels, but I dont know if a camera a couple generations old is really better than a really recent rebel.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  13. fhfn2000

fhfn2000 New Member

I'm using a D60 now, and for a newbie, it's a great camera to learn on.
    I've had it for almost a year now, and if I could do it all over again, I would just jump straight to the D90.

Greater compatability with 3rd party lenses, more focus points, commander mode for CLS just to name a few.

I can't say anything about the Canon stuff though.

14. Kappa00

Kappa00 Pizza

used D70 with a 35 f2 and 50 1.8

15. dmora

dmora Guest

yup... or a used D100/D200 with a 35mm f2

16. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

why u guys recommending the 35 f/2

what's wrong with the 35 1.8 for considerably less

17. percent

percent deluded

So your dog can't focus and recompose either? ;)

But seriously, the d3000 has twice the noise of a d40. Thats a bigger deal for what i shoot than focus points. I miss my old d40. It was a nice little camera.

18. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

focus and recompose only works on single point, non-continous AF, and when the object you're shooting is standing perfectly still.

Sure as hell doesn't work on anything that's even remotely alive and moving...

With the d5000, you get the d300's 3D tracking AF, which allows you to hit your subject and the AF tracks it as it moves through the frame.

With the d3000, you get 11 AF points, allowing you to choose your focus.

Noise isn't really a big deal. It's not. The only people who cry about noise are measurebaters. There isn't a single 'new' digital SLR out today that isn't better at controlling noise than the film these iso ratings were created on. The d3000 is no execption. If you've ever shot iso 800 film, you can't help but laugh every time someone cries about noise at iso 800 from there 12+mp digital cameras....

It's ridiculious.

So yeah. I'd take a camera that allows me to focus and shoot the image I want over what some people consider to be a little too much noise...

19. Tergiversator

Seriously though, can we talk about D3000 vs. Rebel XS now?

20. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

go hold them. pick the one that feels better in your hands. Pics will be pretty much identical.

It's a lot easier to discuss the differences between different models of the same brand, as there are concrete differences.

going between manufacturers, especially at comparable trim levels, the biggest difference is going to be ergonomics and feel. No one but you can help you with that.

21. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

if Jared_IRL was a female, i would demand epic hate sex with her. but he is a guy... and his comments here are epic win

22. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

if I had a vagina, I wouldn't talk to your sorry ass.

I'd prolly spend all day just staring at my vagina, but whatever.... i'd still be out of your league...

23. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

:rofl: fucking dick

24. High_Boost

High_Boost New Member

seriously though?
    it has been answered.. you just dont like what you are hearing apparently
    if you choose to ignore the reco's of the people here that have been thru this choice, and those are your only 2 options, they are very comparable, there is no clear cut winner - go to your camera store, or best buy where you can hold & try both and buy the one that feels better - they will produce pics that are identical

out of the box canons have a tendancy to put out pics that are a tad more vibrant, but that is just a setting, which can be changed in camera or post with either camera
    in the smaller cameras, most people think the nikons feel better (at least for those with bigger hands)
    the canon has live view, if you think that will be useful
    once you start buying glass, I think canons nice glass is a little cheaper than nikons, but that will be way down the line

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  25. NSX

NSX OT Supporter

:bowrofl: