A&P D40 for $340. Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by MartyFukstein, Feb 22, 2009.

1. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

"I have a D40 dslr for sale. Used, but barely. Comes with 18-55mm kit lens and cover, battery and charger, usb cable, and strap. $340 firm, cash only, local sales only, I will not ship.

Please do not email if you are not willing to pay $340 cash and meet in McMinnville. Sorry for the tough love, but let's be honest, there are a lot of flakes out there. "
    Is this a good all purpose lense? How do I learn to use the camera?

2. Bloke

Bloke Banned

thats not an excellent deal

3. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

you can get a refurbed d40x for 275 from adorama :cool:

4. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

I always tell people to steer clear of the D40 unless they are not planning to buy new lenses. Lenses for the D40 cost more, quite a lot more infact. Unless you don't mind manually focusing all the time - in that case, any lens will do.

The 18-55mm is the standard economy lens, adequate for a beginner though there is not much zoom to be had.

If you want a D40 275 for a refurb is pretty good I think.

There is lots of help here on how to learn.
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3319021

5. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

6. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

if you're wanting to get into the DSLR world and see whether or not you're going to enjoy it, then that's not too bad of a cost to determine how you want to step forward from here. However if you already know that this is absolutely something you want to do an introductory camera, even at that price, isn't going to do you any favors. There are things that in less than a year you'll find limiting, and lens selection is NOT the one you'll be unhappy about. There's nothing wrong with any lens from Nikon, they all work.

7. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

Not entirely true. They will all work but do not all auto focus. Only the lenses with internal focus motors are fully compatible with D40s and D60s because these do not have motors in the body.

So lens selection is an issue.

I'd suggest choosing your brand carefully. Switching from Canon to Nikon or vise versa in the future can be costly and is definitely annoying.

8. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

get a d70s for that price

9. someonenew

100% true, there is NOTHING wrong with the lens, they will all work

so you agree they work then? why are you talking?

ability to autofocus a lens does not preclude it's use, would you people stop acting like this is the be all and end all of lens selection.

once again, no it isn't. And if you're going to bitch that you only want to use lenses where autofocus occurs then fine, there's still a shit ton of lenses that do so.
    about the only thing you've said that makes sense.

10. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

I said they all work but will not all autofocus :ugh:
    He is going to buy this camera so I'm telling him the potential problems he may encounter. Christ.

Autofocus is important to me, it may be to him too. Maybe not you, but it is ESSENTIAL for photographing non static objects.

If he has the option to buy a camera that lets him auto focus on all the lenses he buys why not get that one instead of a D40? i.e. low end canons.

Sure he can buy lenses that will not auto focus thinking he won't need it. But what about the future. I couldn't dump a load of money on a lens that doesn't have 100% functionality incase I need it, even just for one photo.

And the cost of the lenses that auto focus with the D40/D60 are astronomical compared to other lenses without motors in them. This is a HUGE factor in the purchase of a D40/D60. Stop acting like it isn't.

11. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

$340 doesn't sound like that great of a deal, but even at a non-pro level I wouldn't suggest that body.

Find a used D50 or D80 for a little bit more and enjoy greater flexibility.

12. themolsen

themolsen New Member

PLEASE get a d50 or d70s instead.... d80 if you want to spend a little more

13. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

I made the mistake of buying a D40x, it was fine at first but I soon realized that the lack of an AF motor in the D40/D40x just sucks :hs:

14. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

THANK YOU

Another person that actually owns a D40 that can give their opinion on its failure as a beginner camera.

I actually considered a D70s after having the D40 for a year. Might be hard to find one now with low shutter actuations though.

15. someonenew

yes because my comments weren't based on ownership of said camera or anything:hsugh:

the most limiting factor of that camera is actually it's 3 AF points, not the lenses considering as once again you can use any lens in Nikons line.

16. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

Yeah, you can use any Nikon lens. That's kind of a given. And it sure sucks only having 3 AF points when you're limited to MF on everything but AF-S lenses :rolleyes:

17. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

Would you please read and comprehend? Since I started posting in this thread I have stated that you can use any lens in the Nikon line, but not all will autofocus. Are you telling me I'm wrong?

I say again, I'm simply informing the TS of potential trouble areas with a D40. After owning one I know for a fact I should have got a used D50 or D70 because of the cost of the lenses.

Some people don't mind, some do. End of discussion.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009