D-Link DWL-G630

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by samm, Dec 28, 2004.

1. samm

samm Next in Line

I have a D-Link DWL-G630 802.11g PC card that I received as a gift. It appears this card does not have drivers for the Mac. On D-Link's website, they list the card as only Windows compatible, with no Mac Drivers to download. I tried downloading & installing the DWL-G650X drivers, but they don't detect the card with my powerbook.

Does anyone have experience getting this card to work with a titanium powerbook G4?

2. HuMpS 97 DoHc

HuMpS 97 DoHc NeonCanada 4 Life

awww i'm finding it hard to believe you even found a spot to plug that in on a powerbook. for powerbooks and iBooks you should just buy the air port extreme card.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the 15" and 17" powerbooks have a cardbus slot, so it will fit.

You *could* get it to work by compiling the BSD drivers/module... But that seems beyond something you're willing to do. Is the DLink new? Return it if it is. Then buy an AirPort Extreme as mentioned.

4. HuMpS 97 DoHc

HuMpS 97 DoHc NeonCanada 4 Life

i learn something new everyday. haha thanks :)

but yeah if macs aren't supported for this product I'd just get the airport extreme card.

5. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

How old is your powerbook and what size. My 15" has wireless built in. Maybe you have it already and don't know it? It recognizes my Microsoft router fine.

Just an idea. :dunno: If not, get an airpoort card.

6. samm

samm Next in Line

I already have an aiport card that works with my router just fine. As I said in my first post I have a titanium powerbook G4.

I would like to use the DWL-G630 since it's 802.11g and airport extreme cards only work in the aluminum powerbooks, which I do not have.

I can't return the card because a.) it was a gift b.) it game in a combo pack with a router that my parents use.

7. fifty50

fifty50 New Member

return the combo pack, get the $10 belkin wireless g router that compusa is selling after MIR's, then get a card thats compatible.

8. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Okay, I missed the titanium part. So if you have an airport card, why are you trying to use something else. Why not just sell it on eBay?

9. xxxgames12

xxxgames12 Guest

I think the 15" powerbook has a PC card slot in it but not sure. I think some models do; but not all.

10. samm

samm Next in Line

I cannot get AirTunes to work with my 802.11b airport card. I read it will work with 802.11g, so I thought I'd try to get this card to work instead of buying another "Mac compatible" card.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

802.11b and 802.11g are inter-compatible... so the card is likely not your problem.

12. Icedog

Icedog New Member

airtunes as in use w/ the Airport Express? I also have a 15'' Titanium so it has the .11b card and I'm able to use airport express just fine.

13. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

like others have said, if you can return it it would probably be in your best interest, especially since not only does the AirPort Extreme card live inside the machine, but is also wired to the internal antenna in your machine :coold: so your reception with an Extreme should be better than with any other card, in theory.

edit: ah you have a pre-extreme book... well if you want G, return it and get a card that has better up-front support (window-shop store.apple.com and then find a better price on the card). Otherwise pick up a regular airport card off eBay or something.

14. xxxgames12

xxxgames12 Guest

forget the card- it obveously won't work even if it does fit into your laptop.

stick with the airport extreme ;)

15. samm

samm Next in Line

Ok, I got AirTunes to work with my original Airport card. I will try to find a PC friend to sell the DWL-G630 card too. Thanks for the help.