GUN D.C. Seeks Consent To Search for Guns

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Mar 13, 2008.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

D.C. Seeks Consent To Search for Guns
    Amnesty Offered for Access to Homes
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/12/AR2008031202717.html
    By Allison Klein
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Thursday, March 13, 2008; Page B01

D.C. police are so eager to get guns out of the city that they're offering amnesty to people who allow officers to come into their homes and get the weapons.

Mayor Adrian M. Fenty and Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier announced yesterday the Safe Homes Initiative, aimed at parents and guardians who know or suspect that their children or other relatives have guns. Under the deal, police target areas hit by violence and seek adults who let them search their homes for guns, with no risk of arrest. The offer also applies to drugs that turn up during the searches, police said.

The program is scheduled to start March 24 in the Washington Highlands area of Southeast Washington. Officers will go door-to-door seeking permission to search homes for weapons. Police later plan to visit other areas, including sections of Columbia Heights in Northwest and Eckington in Northeast.

"If we come across illegal contraband, we will confiscate it," Lanier said. "But amnesty means amnesty. We're trying to get guns and drugs off the street."

Fenty (D) and Lanier announced the plan as part of a new strategy to deal with the prevalence of firearms in a city that has one of the strictest gun control laws in the nation. The Supreme Court will hear arguments next week in a case challenging the constitutionality of the D.C. law.

Residents who agree to the searches will be asked to sign consent forms. If guns are found, they will be tested to determine whether they were used in crimes. If the results are positive, police will launch investigations, which could lead to charges.

Boston police are embarking on a similar program this month. Police in that city have been meeting with residents before the door-to-door effort begins. Philadelphia police are considering such an initiative.

Ronald Hampton, executive director of the National Black Police Association, questioned the Washington effort. As a lifelong D.C. resident and a former police officer, he said, he would not consent to his house being searched.

"They haven't earned that level of access or respect from the community," Hampton said. "I just can't believe they're trying to do that. I've never heard of anything like that in my life."

Arthur B. Spitzer, legal director of the Washington office of the American Civil Liberties Union, said the program is "a very bad idea." He said officers might act so aggressively that residents feel coerced into letting them in.

"It sends the message to the public that the police ought to be able to search your house anytime for any reason," Spitzer said. "People will be intimidated. That cheapens civil liberties and privacy for everyone."

At a news conference, Fenty and Lanier also said police will host monthly meetings with other law enforcement agencies to identify trends in gun-related crimes and to facilitate information sharing. The goal is to identify repeat offenders and find new ways to stop them, Lanier said.

"It should give us a much clearer picture of how to coordinate our efforts," she said.

Police also announced the creation of an anonymous hotline for people to call with information about crimes. The line, 888-919-CRIME, is staffed by detectives. In the coming weeks, the department is planning to set up a system through which the public can send tips as text messages.

"We want to make sure the community has every means necessary to get in touch with us," Lanier said.

2. Hooch

Hooch New Member

What a bunch of fucking retards.

3. Gaunt

Gaunt blood for the blood god OT Supporter

something about this doesnt seem constitutional

4. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

This story is a couple months old but resurfacing for some reason....

Why?

If I ask to sodomize you with my night stick :)naughtyd:) and you say "why yes please that sounds fantastic" it seems like you only have yourself to blame.

5. Gimik

Gimik New Member

"Ok so for instance this guy here: We arrested him for murder last week. He'll be out on thursday. How do we stop him from murdering again? Should we make a new law?"

6. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I remember one a couple months ago from boston about consentual searches, this was first time I saw it in D.C.

7. Gimik

Gimik New Member

they're not ILLEGAL searches though. They're just going around asking if they can do legal searches. Depending on how they ask though, it could be a very bad thing.

8. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Ooooooooo maybe I'm messed up then, it must have been working so well at eliminating crime in boston that DC had to do it :rofl:

9. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:rolleyes:

"get the fuck off my property"

10. Landor

Landor New Member

We have seen this in a few states now. They just keep chipping away at our rights little by little.

11. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

to be fair, they ARE asking permission, but IMHO thats crossing the line

12. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

What rights are chipped away?

13. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

what the fuck

14. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

A lot like asking to search your vehicle, you don't have to let them but people either don't know any better and allow the LEO to search.

15. Landor

Landor New Member

this is all just my opinion

yes they are asking permission but you know darn well if they see something they do not like that has nothing to do with why they are there they will make note of it or possibly take it even further. A lot of the people who's doors they will knock on might be intimidated and say yes and they really want to say no. It is crossing the line. Trusting the police as a whole, I am not talking about police officers but the police department in general is like trusting the government. They will spin anything to work their way.

New Orleans and Katrina is a prime example of that.

16. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

I agree. People need to take it upon themselves to educate themselves about the law - especially what they can say to the police.

However, if someone is intimidated by the cops, and lets them search, it's their own fault.

17. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Actually, in CA, depending on where they are searching, you might have to let them. If they pull you over for anything like speeding/exhibition of speed/reckless endangerment, and they have reason to suspect you have modified the car out of smog compliance, they are allowed to REQUIRE you to pop your hood.

ask me how I know this :mamoru:

18. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:rofl: because you're an idiot with a broken speedometer who speeds through school zones :mamoru:

19. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

"you want to do what now? do you have a warrant? no?"
    *slam door*

20. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

21. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

wrong. That was the other time I was pulled over.

22. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:rofl: @ u

23. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

Now, lets assume someone's kid has a NFA item in the house, maybe a MAC-10 they bought off a some corner van.

The "DC Police" might not charge them, but you can bet your ass the ATF would go after them. And then, wouldn't anyone in the house be liable for charges as unregistered NFA items encompass anyone "around" them?

24. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

NEVER sign anything without first contacting an attorney.
    Your signature on a document means you read fully the document and agree to whatever is written there.
    There's going to be alot of people who are intimidated into signing that form when they are faced with 2-3 armed officers pressuring them at their door. It's standard procedure.

25. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

ding ding ding.
    They can only make a claim of giving amnesty for their own department. But they cannot do that for the DEA, FBI, State or ATF.
    They may not charge you for that illegal auto weapon but you can bet your ass that information will go to the ATF and they will haul your ass out of your house (because hey, you signed an agreement to allow a warrantless search) and gladly bring up the charges.