GUN CZ for competition...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by texchef, Jun 1, 2009.

1. texchef

texchef Guest

I know some folks use CZ for competition but wanted to see how many of you who do compete regularly have guys rocking CZ instead of Glock or XD.

I been looking at the CZ 85 Combat.

What are the "must do without a doubt" mods to the CZs? I have also heard some issues with the weight of the gun for various categories.

Thoughts?

ibglockistheonlyoneyoushoulduseforcompetition

2. Keesh

Keesh New Member

paging phrozenlikwid

3. AB13

AB13 New Member

Our current club Production Champion Yong Lee, whom also won the Double Tap Ranch Championships (in Texas btw) twice in a row runs a CZ SP01. He regularly dominates our club matches here. He was an SVI sponsored shooter and is a Grand Master. I can only beat him with my Open gun.

Aside from that, there is a strong following of CZ shooters in my area, along with myself.

4. texchef

texchef Guest

After doing some digging thru CZ forums and various sites the 85 Combat and the Shadow seem to be the 2 "go-to" for solid competition guns. The Shadow is out of my price range. I fiddled around with an 85 at my local and the slide was nice and tight, very smooth feel and the trigger break was VERY much like a quality 1911. Very snappy all around plus the sights were sweet with the fully adjustable rear.

5. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

What kind of competitions/rule sets are you going to be abiding be?

I'm pretty much a CZ whore now....

6. texchef

texchef Guest

Probably just IDPA to start. I tried a little last year but had no support from the Ex-wife and the new wife-to-be is all about it and shoots with me regularly at the range.

Anything other than that to start I have to look outside Dallas for USPSA and IPSC.

Skool me on your CZ whoreness. The 85 Combat model made my sticker peck out.

7. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

The 85 is strangely about the only CZ I haven't owned, even though it is really popular. Before the SP01/Shadow, seems a lot of guys were running them.

I'm also not hip on IDPA rules, so MG or AB13 would likely be much better in telling you what to do there.

As for general stuff..... Outta the box I would replace the sights, and have the trigger worked. Those factory adjustables suck IMO, the rear notch is too shallow, and too narrow for my liking. Angus sells a couple replacements, of which the "tactical rear" is the one I like (same as the "competition", only with rounded corners). The 85's used to be the guns that everyone obsessed over trigger-wise because they lacked a Firing-Pin-Block. I pull that shit from all of my guns that contain it immediately (a 15 min affair), though doing so might not be kosher anymore under USPSA Production rules. Not sure what IDPA says about that. I was talking to Stuart Wong about it, and he's convinced he can make a FPB gun 99% of a non-FPB gun by judicious polishing, and a little recutting of lifter piece. If he says he can do it, he probably can.

As far as triggers..... You can do it yourself if you are at all mechanically inclined, or you can send it out. Either way, buy the Angus Competition hammer and don't waste time fucking around with the stock one. If you want to send it out, my favorite CZ 'smith is the Stuart Wong (Eerw on various forums) character that I mentioned above. He's good..... Real good; and I've shot/owned CZ's by most of the people in the game. Ask OT'er Integra_gsr98 what he thinks about Stuarts wares.....

On the converse...... Last I heard Stuart had two CZ85C's fuly worked over that he was letting go of; might be able to cut to the chase and snag one of his to save a little dough. Then you'd just need some mags and an appropriate rig for whatever game you are playing.

Sorry this reply is kinda scattered and sorta high-level. I'm not familiar wiith IPDA rules, nor what is the "hot" setup there. The 85C is a popular gun, but you should buy a CZ looking at it to be a base for something bad-ass, not to leave stock. Trigger and sights will almost completely change the feeling of the gun (as will thin grips). My only bitch with them is that they don't have the updated beavertail that the '75SA's and SP01's/P01's/Stainless/etc do.

8. What do you want to know about IDPA rules? I haven't shot an IDPA match in a while, I've been focusing on rifle matches, but I've read the rule book more than a few times.

9. sprite

sprite Active Member

A buddy of mine switched from a Glock to a CZ, then to an M&P Pro.

His CZ was a very nice gun and been worked over by Matt Mink with a pretty light SA pull. He just couldn't make the switch from the "safe action" style pull to the DA/SA. He had a serious case of trigger freeze with the SA pull and couldn't shake it. Switched to the M&P and shot it a lot better, even though the CZ was probably mechanically more accurate, and most people would consider the tuned CZ trigger to be "better" than the M&P's. I don't know what your background is... I just bring it up because it isn't that rare to hear similar experiences from people who have grown accustomed to Glock or Glock-like triggers.

And yeah, it can be entirely addressed by training and practicing with the platform... he just got sick of blowing up stages and throwing time out the window learning a new platform when he had another gun on the shelf that he shot better.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
  10. texchef

texchef Guest

I guess the only issue I have been hearing with CZs and competition is the removal of the FPB and hearing some talk about weight issues and not being under 39oz. Can't remember where I read it.

So if the 85C is one option for shooting comps with what is another good platform to start with?

I'm hearing single action is they way to go and to stear clear of decockers.

11. texchef

texchef Guest

Honestly I have shot so few competitions that I don't really have a "background" to start over from. I had a XD Tac I was using but had to sell it due to financial reasons. All that is behind me so I guess I'm starting from a clean slate.

I own a G19 but like the idea more of the CZ because I like to be a little different. :)

12. I'm assuming FPB is a firing pin block? If so, it's illegal to remove or disable it. As for the weight, you are allowed 39 ounces in SSP for the gun and an empty magazine. CZ lists the weight at 2.2#, which is 35.2 ounces. CZ doesn't specify if that's with a mag or without, but I'd imagine it does.

13. How well do you shoot the Glock? If you shoot it well, use it. I know it's fun to buy new stuff, but if you already have a reliable pistol that you can shoot well, is there really any benefit to buying something else to compete with?

14. geekboy

geekboy Target Agent OT Supporter

what about Glock 23? anybody here competed with G23?

15. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Im pretty sure someone has probably tried competing with a high point before

16. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

The weight loss thing is probably more geared to the SP-01's and Shadows, as they are pretty damn big and heavy. They are ultra smooth to shoot, but for whatever reason I prefer the '75 series myself. Wanting to say people were making weight with them by running Dennis Marschal (*SP?) grips, and a couple other small changes.

Dunno yet about the FPB thing..... I'm gonna go ahead and ASSume that (in USPSA at least), you won't be able to go without one if the gun originally came with it installed.

SAO is my preference, but I grew up shooting 1911's and BHP's. I'm comfortable with that setup, but working to get better with the DA/SA setup. While I still am not where I'd like to be with my trigger mastery, I personally didn't have as hard of a time with it as some people claim to do.

CZ decockers fucking blow IMO, and I don't understand for the life of me why people get into them. It's not like you couldn't just run the gun in DA mode, with the hammer down, and the safety off. They rotate towards the back, which puts them convienantely right in the way of my thumb. They also make the gun harder to tear down, harder to work on, and harder to get a good trigger with. I'd pass unless you came across a screaming good deal.

Other options would be the SP-01, and the multitude of other CZ's in the '75 series. My favorite of the '75 Series is the '75SA model. It's got an upswept beavertail to give you a much higher grip on the gun, bigger mag release, and a different ambi-saftery setup. It's also SAO, but I'm building one that will be DA/SA for Production class. They also have a slightly different slide, which if nothing else, looks better IMO (I know, gay reasoning).

The NEW stainless is also pretty cool, and I've been waiting to find one of those used to snap up. It's got the updated beavertail, as well as the larger mag release.

Really, any of them would probably work fine for what you are wanting to do. Some guys really dig the SP-01 platform, some really dig the '75SA, and there are planty of guys swearing by the 85C.

Go read BEnos and CZF and see what you think. Then try and snap one up cheap and send it to Stuart with some money and tell him what you are wanting to shoot.

17. texchef

texchef Guest

Funny you ask because I shoot my G19 pretty well in comparison to the XD Tac I had. I had thought about throwing some goodies into it and saving the money for reloading equipment but wanted to get a group opinion of another platform.

I could probably take the money I would spend on a CZ and sent it plus my Glock to Yar and have him make a little love to it.

18. AB13

AB13 New Member

The more I shoot, and become a better shooter, the more I realize that it has a lot less to do with the gun. The only thing the gun has to do, is "run" and I can win with it as long as I do my part.

I know it's another excuse to buy more gear, but even in stock form a Glock is more gun for most peoples skill level.

What I'm saying is, for most new shooters, they have much bigger problems to address before equipment can really help/benefit them. There is absolutely positively nothing you can buy that will trump training and match time experience.

Move those obstacles out of the way, and everything will fall in place. That's when you will actually have the skills to benefit from a lighter trigger/shorter reset, etc.

Don't get me wrong, it's fun. But there's a difference from just having fun, and getting serious.

I love analogies. This is the equivolent to a guy with a small prick buying Trojan Magnums. So what if you have the big condum if you don't have the manhood to fill it up, it'll do you no good and may even hurt you.

19. texchef

texchef Guest

Love your advice...always have. I guess when it comes down to it I just want a really good starting platform to build some skills on.

When i started bowling I told myself that I wanted good equipment to learn on. Same holds true in that sport as well. Good equipment doesn't make you bowl better but it helps build solid foundations for good learning. I went through 3-4 balls before I found one I liked and learned on. Still have it to this day.

20. AB13

AB13 New Member

No problem, I hear ya'. I think all you need is a good holster, belt, magazines, pouches and a reloader for your Glock 19. If you want to be sporty, buy a Glock 34. Get sights and a Glockworx trigger and start shooting.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
  21. texchef

texchef Guest

Got my CR speed belt from my XD setup so I need some more mags and a good holster.

What sights and trigger from GW do you recommend?

22. AB13

AB13 New Member

Sights are a preference deal. I like a .100 fiber optic, and you can't go wrong with a Dawson Precision. Rear's, I'm starting to think I would like something like a Sevigny rear because it's got the corners cut and you can see more of your target. But Heinie's are the old standard.

As for trigger, I would just say "hey yar, hook it up like a tow truck..." Tell them how light you wanna go and send in your pistol.

23. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

24. Keesh

Keesh New Member

something something big Jew nose joke.