SRS Cymbalta - Anyone else taking it?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TucsonTerror, Apr 10, 2005.

1. TucsonTerror

TucsonTerror OT Supporter

I'm feeling somewhat more "normal" like I'm on the way back, in the midst of week 2. Doc only put me on 30mg/day which seems low so I'm wondering what kind of dose others are taking if you're using Cymbalta.

Thanks.

2. gnat

gnat New Member

I'm on it for pain now... but wow I hate it.

I feel normal most of the time anyway but here is my experience with it.

The doctor gave me 30mg for the first week and 60mg for the next weeks. I'm very hesitant about taking this for pain when it's main use is for major depressive disorder. :dunno: The first day I had to lay in the bed with serious nausea. If anyone so much as spoke to me I'd throw up. Luckily I didn't. The next day was seriously hampered by stomach illness as well. Both days included a down feeling and sluggishness. The third day I was very tired, didn't feel like doing anything and my emotions feel 'curbed' basically. I guess this is a good thing for those who need it but it pisses me off. I feel mushy, and blah. But believe it or not, I almost have the impression that it's helping my overall pain level. I'll be taking my 4th dose in about an hour and watching how I feel. The day after I take it, before my next dose, the back of my head hurts, and my neck hurts. I also have a tired jaw or just generally exhausted feeling in my head. I made mention the side effects and the doctor told me that he thinks it will be good for me if I can get past the initial side effects. He says they will subside. I'll give it a shot but I know next week with the upped 60mg dose I will be incuring the same effects again.

:sadwavey:

3. TucsonTerror

Hmmm...I just started my 2nd month today and haven't had any serious downside in my experience. My sex drive is down a bit and I had to crap about every hour for the first few days but that's normalized now. Overall it's been completely worth it. I'm more productive, up and alert. I finally got back to doing some of the things I love to do without feeling like I was climging Mt. Everest to get started on them.

I'd read about the pain relief but it was pretty specific to diabetics - "Like many medicines, Cymbalta works to treat more than one condition. Cymbalta has been approved by the FDA for both the treatment of depression and the management of pain associated with diabetic peripheral neuropathy."

I wouldn't think it's great for general pain management. What's the root cause of the pain and can that be treated/fixed?

4. gnat

gnat New Member

Well I've noted my dislikes of the medication and the sex drive is also down. It was given to me for back pain. I have daily reoccuring muscle spasms and a bulging disc(l5) and possibly another in my upper back(will find out May5th). I've been on lortab's for over 6 months and have had a multitude of epidural steroid injections over the years.

We're just trying alternatives to such habbit forming meds at my young age of 29. I don't mind the lortabs honestly, because they work, and work well, but the doctor is having second thoughts. The spine clinic I'm visiting has had a high success rate with cymbalta as of late. Diabetic peripheral neuropathy is a big word for nerve damage, and thats essentially what they're treating. I believe it has helped some, yet I've still had some pretty nasty pain episodes while on the medicine.

I'm still constantly yawning, and feeling tired, but my smiles have begun to come back to me. I'm feeling a little more like myself now than I was the first day of treatment. Tomorrow is my first 60mg dose :( :( :( I'm hoping to god it's not like my first 30mg dose. I have training the next two days and it won't sit well if these side effects come back.

5. TucsonTerror

On a positive note, I didn't notice any negatives when moving from 30mg to 60mg. I can say, after reading as much as I could find on Cymbalta, that you don't want to go over 90mg/day. In reality, from what I could deduce, you don't really want to go over 60mg/day but people didn't report serious side effects until they got >100mg/day. If you don't get complete, or even satisfactory, relief from 60mg/day I'd say it's time to move on to something else while working on getting the root cause addressed.

I don't like the idea of addressing mechanical problems with chemicals. Can you get into a good therapy progam that will alleviate the pain? Is surgery an option? That said, as an AD med, this stuff has been great for me.

6. CBurgerjr

CBurgerjr League leading 49 HR in 1986.

I've also been on Cybalta for about 2.5 months.....I had depression from Backpain, too..I haven't had any side affects from it...I do feel it has helped me cope better with my pain...and also, i have been sleeping better...I noticed a few more smiles along the way too.

7. gnat

gnat New Member

I've already been through physical therapy twice now... 4 weeks each time for a total of 8 weeks and I'm still doing all the stretches, and excercises learned... so you could say I've been in physical therapy for months. I've also already had 4 steroid epidural injections over the years. The fact is, surgery is too much for a buldging disc in a 29yr old. The situation is not serious enough to warrant surgery but its painful enough to require something be done. The only real options are epidural injections, physical therapy, and medication. It's being addressed with all 3 of these options. :( Thursday of this week I go in for another MRI which will look at my thoracic spine (upper back) to see if there is anything physically wrong with it. If there, is we'll go from there but it most likely won't be anything other than an epidural injection.

I've been taking opiate anagesic's for over 6 months now for pain relief when I need it, and they've decided they don't want to keep me on them forever so this is an attempt to find another solution.

I will discontinue the medicine within the next few weeks if some issues aren't resolved with time. Such as, low to zero lubido, inability to climax even when having sex, fatigue, massive constipation, teeth pain associated with gritting my teeth in my sleep, and restlessness during sleep. None of these are really acceptable to me, I'm feel fine mentally when not on this medicine so these symptoms are like a shock to me. I'm torn though because I do believe it helps in my overall pain level. I'm still playing the waiting game on the side effects and we'll know more about my physical condition thursday.

8. gnat

gnat New Member

So things just keep getting better. I told the doc about the side effects and they have taken me off the cymbalta. I haven't been taking it long so they said its ok to just stop without tapering off. I have been given neurontin, a drug used to treat mild seizures and neuropathic pain. My MRI showed a degenerative disc with a slight buldge just between my shoulder blades. I already have a buldging L5 disc(lowest one) which is responsible for lower back, butt, and leg pain. So I have something causing pain in my upper regions as well as my lower. I'm so glad to be taken off the cymbalta, I was close to quiting it anyway but I'm happy they're trying to find something that will help me and not hinder me. Anyways, thats the news on this front. The doc said there isn't much he can do for a degenerative disc at this stage. He said he can fuse it but its not bad enough to do that yet, so I'm just stuck with it. Continue your exercises etc.