cyclic redundancy check error while transfer a bunch of files

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Scream_Phoenix, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Scream_Phoenix

Scream_Phoenix Handsome Boy Model

i got a new hard drive, and while i was transfering files from my old 60 gig to the new drives partitons, i got a (to the best of my memory) "transfer error(cyclic redundany check)." i couldnt get the files to transfer, scan disk wouldnt complete, and media files would stop playing part way through giving the same error. i waited a while, and tried transfering again and it worked. i know that the error basically means that something got screwed up and the file at the destination isnt the same as the file at the source, but what could cause this, and should i be worried about my my hard drives?

2. MattIROC

MattIROC has a semi nice av. changed due to rules :(

I was getting that when trying to copy certain CDs to my hard drive. Weird thing is it only did it on a few here and there....

Still havent figured it out...

3. Scream_Phoenix

the worrying part is that its making a noise when its about to give me the error. i tried to find something on google but havent seen anything like what im experiencing yet

4. MattIROC

I just hear my CD spinning constantly when it starts to get stuck. The Windows timer (deal that shows how long until it is finished copying files) goes up big time.

CDs have like no scratches on them at all, not dirty, nothin. :dunno:

I even tried different CD-ROM's on my PC.

I then tried the CD on my bros computer, and worked just fine. :(

5. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

crc errors are a computational error that means the files were not transferred properly. if you are getting crc errors, you need to examine the transfer mechanisms - cable, interfaces, protocol stacks, applications. the noise is very suspicious - what is making a noise?

6. Scream_Phoenix

i think its the hard drive. it doesnt sound TOO bad, but it is unusual, its kind of like *search,search,search,*pause*repeat*

i tried to transfer a few more files and it started making the sound, so i hit cancel. it took forever to stop, then when it did, my drive didnt even show up in my computer anymore :sad2: i rebooted and start up took forever(4+min). the drive is back now but my system is super slow. my OS is on the new drive tho, can a non-system drive still slow down the performance this much? maybe its my ide cables or something, guess ill crack open my case :(

7. MattIROC

sounds like the hard drive is dying :(

8. Scream_Phoenix

i didnt want to hear that :(
    i checked all the ide connections and they seem to be fine.
    this is the sound: http://www.theblackolive.ca/misc/ot/wtfsound.wav

i tried to open the drive just now and it said, this drive is not formated would you like to format it :wtc: :wtc: luckily i got all of my irreplaceable shit off of it as soon as it stared making the noise, but if i cant get it to work i will lose a lot of musc and shit. hopefully i can work something out to save some :sad2:

9. Scream_Phoenix

drive properties say RAW file system... any advice on how i can try to get some of my things back?

10. Scream_Phoenix

WTF. i left my computer off for a while, went to work today so i heavent touched it for like 24 hours almost. my har drive is back now, all the data is still there. can ide cables over heat or something? im very happy that its there, but i dont want to do anything to it in case it dies. anyone have any idea what i mightbe experiencing?

11. StevesVR4

StevesVR4 Get Arrested

It certainly sounds like the hard drive is on its last legs. The error might not manifest itself until it heats up some. What you probably need to do it turn the computer on for a while and transfer as much stuff off of it as you can. You probably should turn the computer off after a while to let the drive cool down.

12. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

yep - copy that data off while you still can