SRS Cutting

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by DancingCondom, Jul 5, 2005.

1. DancingCondom

DancingCondom New Member

Anybody do it? I have, I just cut my arms, never my wrists. I go back and forth to it...I am away from my boyfriend for a long time and I miss him..cutting helps me cope with my pain...

2. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

IDK if ure seriouse or not, seems like ure just joking...

But i was a cutter.. n if u really need to talk, im here...

3. DancingCondom

DancingCondom New Member

Noooo Im not joking at all! Its a long story..about the boyfriend thing, its a lot more than that.. but yeah. The thing is, I like cutting. I dont feel that I am hurting myself, because I just cut my arms and occasionally my thigh. When I feel stressed out, I use a razor and cut..and suddenly I get this sense of relief. Its like..the problem goes away. Ive been on and off with cutting for about 2 years..and am going back to it again. A lot of people questions the cuts on me..2 of my friends cut. They understand..nobody else does.

Do you think this is really harming to me?? Im afraid of reality..reality brings me down.
    For me, cutting..is a way out. I dont want to change.

4. johan

johan Active Member

No, I don't think DC is joking here. The cutting relieves stress, an escape valve from reality.

But you know what? There are many many really great ways to relieve stress and unburden the weight off your mind that do not involve cutting.

I am thinking Metallic B needs to comment here. He has more experience than I in this area.

5. KarmaPolice

KarmaPolice Active Member

Ya know... i wasn't really sure what to say until you said this... that statement is a much larger problem then the cutting ever will be... we all need to learn to cope with (and somehow enjoy) reality otherwise we'd just be wasting our lives away and never truely being happy (if you don't know happiness in reality, you don't really know happiness, likewise for the "relief" that you speak of)...

I would highly recommend seeing someone about the issue... i'm not going to pretend i know who the right person would be (maybe a psychiatrist)... but i don't think escaping reality is ever a healthy alternative, and i firmly believe that it does harm you...

so i don't want to sound like i'm criticizing you, i've tried more than my fair share of ways to "escape reality" (though i can't claim anything along the lines of cutting)... but i would recommend stopping... you don't want scars years from now, and you don't want to have a crutch such as that that you are addicted to...

Just my opinion, take it for what you will, but please, don't hurt yourself, there will be tooooooo many OTHERS trying to bring you down, find ways to build yourself up.

6. I don't have any personal experience with cutting. I only know the motivation, and psychology behind it from an objective position.

Since the search feature is not available to everyone, I'll search and provide the links here that she can read:

Cutting 1
    Cutting 2

7. Tori1989

Tori1989 Guest

I can totally understand what you are going through, because I used to be the same. I started cutting at 13 and got addicted to that feeling of relief. It was the only thing in my life that made me feel strong and in control, because I could change my emotional pain and make it physical. Although, even though it seems like it, cutting is NOT the easy option. It can be extremley addictive and hard to break out of, and although it doesn't seem like it, ends up making you feel much worse. I definatly recommend you try and stop and speak to someone. I did and it really helped.

http://buslist.org/phpBB/

^ Bodies Under Siege is a great message board for help and support.

8. johan

johan Active Member

Yeah, I know you're not a cutter. You don't fit the profile either.
    But you know more about the subject & psychology that drives it. More than I, anyway.

9. Inthemidstofinsanity

Inthemidstofinsanity New Member

I was/am a cutter. I just snagged a new set of blades from work. I haven't cut myself yet. I 've been seriously thinking about it. I am working 2 full time jobs to pay off debts and I have a boyfriend who is the greatest, but he's not at the same time. He puts up with a lot of my insanity. I feel bad that I get so sad. He once referred to dealing with me as stressful. It hurt so bad and ever since then I've been thinking about cutting again so that I'll stop crying to him and bugging him. I would see a psych/have seen a psych, but I have to work and I don't have time. If you care to AIM me at ChantelUMass

10. Finding time would be a very wise move. Priorities, you know?

11. Inthemidstofinsanity

I do know which is why I haven't cut myself. I am just so scared that I'll lose him because I am sad.

12. Self-control isn't the problem. Sitting down and exploring the feelings that you clearly don't feel you have a right to express -- is of the utmost importance. I know I'm askin' a lot here, but you have every right in the world to say what you feel.

This would probably explain why you're avoiding therapy. You don't feel you have the right to feel better -- cutting's easier, isn it?

13. Inthemidstofinsanity

yes it is

14. Inthemidstofinsanity

I have always hated my mother for getting so upset and I don't want to be like her. Although I get sad, she got mad. Yes it is easier to just cut as punishment for something stupid I've done than to cry and feel sorry for years to come.

15. I'll tell you something. It's ok to get sad, and mad. I'm sure you've been taught that doing either probably comes with pretty severe consequences. That's unfortunate, because expressing feelings is a normal healthy thing. Even when those feelings are very intense, and powerful. As long as expression is done in a healthy way -- which you probably do not know what is healthy -- it's quite ok.

Whoever taught you that it's not ok, clearly wasn't very healthy themselves.

16. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Imagine yourself being locked up in a room, what helps better cutting yourself or a key to get out? It's all about redirecting the energy you use for cutting and investing it into solving your real life problems. You have to use the right 'approuch' towards solving your problems, a problem will remain a problem until you find the key, solve the puzzle of the problem open the door and leave the problem behind.

17. Specious

Specious New Member

I don't understand cutting, but it's definitely endemic to the current generation of teens to early 20's. I'm in my late 20's and I don't even think the seedy underbelly of society had heard of cutting then.

This is addressed to everyone who has cut. WHere did you get the idea from and where did this form of therapy start? Goth culture? Marilyn Manson?

18. It began as a defense survival mechanism. No one "taught" these people to cut, they simply began doing it. They possibly cut themselves by mistake in youth, and noticed the "feeling" - and a coping mechanism grew from that since the main problem with cutting is "control", "feeling" and "being able identify themselves as real."

19. Eris

Eris Yes please

:werd:

20. DancingCondom

DancingCondom New Member

I am a little bit offended from your "goth culture/marilyn manson" comment. It just..happened for me. Whenever I was feeling bad, I had to get out my frustration and..I always had long nails, I just scratched deep in my arm. I felt some sort of euphoric relief, and the problem seems to go away for awhile. Then I started getting into small pocket knives and just cutting my arm/thigh. I got in and out of it for a few years, dealing with the problem but it always comes back. I should quit...I'm going to try. I want to quit everything--disordered eating, drinking, cigarettes, causal sex, and caffeine. I want to go straight edge, I have to face reality instead of putting myself in a false one. It's going to be really hard at first, but the end result will be so worth it. I have my peers to coach me through this, and I know I can do it....

21. Eris

Eris Yes please

ME?!??!? THAT WASN'T ME!!!!!!!

22. She quoted the wrong person obviously. Relax bro. :cool:

23. Eris

Eris Yes please

;) relaxed ... not a bro though :p

24. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Cutting is something strange isn't it? I mean pain is supposed to make you stop from whatever is injuring you , yet these people cut themselves for relief, i don't do stuff like that because 'ouch' it hurts :noes: more girls then guys cut themselves BUT i also have heard of guys doing it. Could it be that the body nerves gives back the sensation of relief that you usually get after you have an itch and scratch yourself on that place? But that this cutting thing is a more severe form of it? Makes me wonder.

25. Relax.....chick? :rofl: