MMA cutting weight

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Bausk, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I have about a month until a BJJ tourney, and a few months after that until I'd like to fight. For the bjj tourney I'd like to drop atleast 10, and another 10 or more after that before I fight. I'd say my diet is in check but slipping slightly, and I'm training 3-4 days a week.

I'm planning on dedicating some of my "off days" from training to more running and some lifting, and really cracking down on my diet. But I've been at a platue for a while even training hard and eating well... but I know I have fat to lose. Do any of you take supplements while training on a similar schedule? I'm just wondering what guys who train that often take or how much they cut out while training and trying to lose weight (not just cutting a week/days before a fight).

Any info is great. I'm down from 250 to 220 and I've been floating there for a while now. I'm getting in better condition and my technique is getting better, but all the training and I'm still stuck near 220.

2. VulgarTheClown

VulgarTheClown A child and a gun.....go together like apple pie a

If the weigh ins for the BJJ tournie same day?

If so I wouldn't cut 10lbs for it you would have nothing left for the tournie.

a cut is all water weight you are talkin about dieting down.

if you eat 6 1/2 meals a day taht are meat and veggies (maybe a replacement shake) you should be able to drop the weight pretty easy.

3. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Yes, I didn't mean cutting water weight before the event.

4. Titus

Titus New Member

dieting is different from cutting. if you're dieting stick to chicken and veggies and just work hard, the weight will come off.

5. Civil Disobedient

Civil Disobedient "Die Biting The Throat" OT Supporter

Yeah, just stick to chicked and veggies/yams. 5-6 meals a day. Training as often as you are you shouldn't need much cardio either. Diet is easily the most important thing.

6. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Yeah I didn't mean "cutting" weight in terms of a prefight cut, an accurate statement would just be "losing weight".

And yes, weigh ins are day of... so i won't be cutting much water weight for the tourney.

I'm going to start cracking down more on my diet. I've been doing the whole chicken and veggies thing pretty strictly until lately. I've been ordering out every once and a while, but sandwiches and chicken subs, etc... not fast food burgers and fries. Regardless I'm going to cut that out and get more cardio in for sure.

7. Titus

Titus New Member

yea if you wanna get serious about it, just cook a bunch of chicken every 2 days and eat it. stick with chicken, tuna, lean beef, turkey and veggies. sweet potatos are a great low gi carb source.. and they taste really good. if you get sick of shit add splenda and no carb spray butter to everything.

8. Bausk

Bausk New Member

That's pretty much been my lunch for 4 months. Cook a few days worth of chicken and steam veggies, then tupperwear and refridgerate.

9. Titus

Titus New Member

oh awesome, looks like you have things under control then!

10. CyberEye

CyberEye Oh god, the voices

How do you guy's cook your chicken?

11. Titus

Titus New Member

i grill it