MIL Cutting weight & IT position for the AF

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by DVS Man, Jul 19, 2007.

1. DVS Man

DVS Man Where the fuck is Battle Cat?

Well, after speaking to the recruiter to join the USAF, at 5'11, he tells me I have to drop down to about 197 or so. At 227 currently, I'm pretty sure I can drop the weight if I'm holding out for some computer networking position. (I hear they usually take the longest to get into.)

When does the weight have to be dropped by, when I go in to take my ASVAB/Physical at the recruiter's, or when I am about to get sent to Boot?

Also, so I can walk in with some useful info so I don't sign up for something I don't want to, what good Computer Networking IT type fields are there in the AF? Description if feasible? :x:

Also with this credit check situation, how low can my score be for the AF to refuse me getting in? Is it put into the equation w/ good ASVAB scores/PT scores/or the E-2 status I'll have after boot? Few credits shy of E-3.

2. Sharkticon

Sharkticon The safest place in combat is on an AEGIS Class Gu

With any service, (I believe), if you have really poor credit, you won't be eligible for a clearance.

3. brownfield

brownfield OT Supporter

well, i took the weight/tape test for enlistment in the army on the day i shipped out to basic i believe (i was well over 3 years ago). they had to pencil whip me though but i lost the weight in basic. lol

4. DVS Man

i wonder whats the worst score you could have on your credit report to get in. mine is pretty shitty.

5. Sharkticon

How bad is it really? When was the last time you checked your FICO score?

6. DVS Man

i have the freecreditrepor_.com enabled, it looks like my score as of 6/29/07 is 525. Don't know how good/bad that is. Also, does it mean a damn if I was to tell the recruiter if he was "iffy" about letting me in, that my Dad is a 30 year Marine Lt Col Viet-Vet, and my Mom was also in the Marines? Or does that pertain only to the Corps?

7. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

the national average is 650. 525 is just below average but not horrible. it can get as low as 425.

as for if your military family has pull? not for the air force. might as well join the marines and continue the legacy although i'm sure your parents probably already told you to go air force instead.

as for computer networking... that shit's boring. find an interesting job that you won't ever fucking do after you get out. what's the point of being a computer jockey for ALL of your life.

8. DVS Man

Idk, seems promising. i'd rather have a job i can use when i get out, than having fun doing some random job in that proves worthless when i get out. regardless, i have zero clue what jobs are offered at anytime. i couldn't argue what could be more fun than the other.

9. mrj

mrj New Member

Damned straight. I'm a network administrator in the civilian world, you wouldn't catch me doing this lame assed work in the military. I'd rather shoot cannons or something.

Why can't you visit usmilitary.about.com and look at the offered jobs like everyone else?

Here, i'll even directly link you;

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airforceenlistedjobs/a/afjobs.htm

10. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

This is one of the reasons why I chose Combat Engineer. My recruiter said "so I'm guessing you'll want something to do with IT since that's what you've done for the last 20 years." I replied, "FUCK no. I have 20 years of IT and 15 years of marriage worth of frustration and stress. I'm ready to blow some shit up!" :rofl:

11. mrj

mrj New Member

:rofl:

Why the fuck did I ever get into IT.

:wtc:

12. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

IT AFSCs:
    2E2X1 - Crypto - hardware, routers, switches - small electronics and computer repair
    3A0X1 - Small computer support.
    3C0X1 - Software, small computer support - helpdesk - server admins
    3C0X2 - Programmer
    3C2X1 - Hardware, routers, switches - long haul communications

13. mrj

mrj New Member

2e2x1 actually changed their title/name/afsc/whaever

If you check out the new CFETP (April 07) there will be news on the front page. We are no longer Computer, Network, Cryptographic and Switching Systems -- it is Network Infrastructure Systems. The title is now more general - it reflects the 2e2's generally applicable skillset, and makes it easier for others to understand what we do.

14. Jyokker

I know, but you still do crypto...
    Pretty soon, we will be doing telephone and cable.

15. Sharkticon

It's pretty low. You won't get a low APR with it but provided you have nothing in collections and aren't receiving notices and phone calls regarding debt on a daily basis, you should be fine. Just make sure you keep taking care of your finances. If a creditor sends a letter of indebtedness to your command...........:ugh:

16. DVS Man

Well isn't the point of joining for a 4 yr contract to do something you can use when you get out? That is only if I choose to go out after 4 yrs, I'd have to wait until i get done w/ my tenure before i make that decision. Blowing shit up sounds fucking fantastical, but how much value will it have afterwards? Besides confident death glares at anyone who earns it.

17. mrj

mrj New Member

Having a civilian career skill when you get out of your contract is a plus, not the "point."

18. DVS Man

just talked to the recruiter a few min ago. he told me that i can come and take my practice ASVAB, but i have to drop the weight before i can be processed for any jobs went sent to MEPS. blah

19. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Before you take the real ASVAB head over to military.com and take their practice test until you consistently score in the 90 percentile range.

http://www.military.com/ASVAB

20. DVS Man

thanks for the link. just got back from meeting w/ the AF recruiter. I took the practice asvab, told me I'd get a mid 80s score on it. That is with the few math questions I didn't finish, I haven't done that type of math since like 10th grade. Then he looked at me and said that I'd probably be able to just pass the body fat exam, which would be easier to obtain than the 197 i'd have to drop down to. My Body fat was 22%, and this was after he weighed me and said I was 217.4 lbs. Somehow I've lost 10 lbs by doing nothing, or I've been weighing myself on a faulty scale. So 12 lbs or so in one month is def possible, then after that I play the waiting game when it comes to my IT fields I want to wait to open. He really encouraged me to not hold out on what the AF needs, but I'm going to be more selfish on this matter than I normally ever would.

21. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

kekeke... you can come work for me.

FYI, I went from 240 to 180 to join the AF (officer side, but still same weight limits) Good luck :)

22. Jyokker

He is more likely to get a job as 3A with the low credit score.

23. Jbrown

Jbrown OT Supporter

2E2X1 is where it's at.

24. Jyokker

3C2 is a better life.

25. xevresII

xevresII New Member

my recruiter (army) says i have to be the same weight i was when i dep'd in to ship out

i have one month to lose 9 lbs