Cutting Weight for Wrestling

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Seandq, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seandq

Seandq Usertext for Rent

Sorry if this has been done twenty times before.

I'm in between subs at the moment so I can't search.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My name's Sean and I'm 15. I'm 5'4 and that's likely as tall as I'm getting. I'm a sophomore and I'm weighing in at 163 lbs and wrestling at the 171 lb class.

And I don't want to say I'm getting killed but I've certainly wrestled much better before.

The main issue is I need to cut weight. Someone at my height would be appropriate at around 116lbs, which is around 50 lbs away. It's definitely not impossible but I need help.

I know this isn't the Diet forum per se, but I need to know how to get stronger too. I've got a gym membership that's hanging unused at the moment and would love to get back there as soon as I could.

I know you're supposed to not lose weight then try to gain muscle, instead try to change fat into muscle -- but my issue is that might just give me more weight at the current point in time.

So what do you recommend to cut 50lbs of basically fat (body fat tests come back soon I believe) and to gain some lean muscle?

cliffs: i'm 15, 5'4, 161lbs, i need to get down to 116 for wrestling, but i need to gain some lean muscle.

2. Tetragrammaton

Tetragrammaton New Member

holy balls dude, why not wrestle at like 135 - 145 with more muscle mass? smaller dudes are scrappy as shit so height shouldn't be a factor

3. Guitar_fool

Guitar_fool Guest

I doubt you have 50 lbs of fat on you. just cut weight in a smart fashion eating less (not stopping all together), running before you go to bed and youll be fine. and besides making weight doesnt make you a good wrestler technique does. learn the technique and it shouldnt matter what weight class you wrestle at.

4. Seandq

Seandq Usertext for Rent

I could easily make 135 JV as there is a vacancy there currently, but our wrestlers who went to state last year are twins at 135 and 140 respectively.

I don't have any complaints with wrestling at a higher weight class with more muscle mass, I was just throwing stuff out there, I'm just curious what I should do to get better (besides practicing my technique daily) when it comes to muscle mass and weight.

5. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

you can't turn fat into muscle...

6. Seandq

Seandq Usertext for Rent

okay, obviously i was misinformed.
    i guess i was basing my info off the fact that muscle weighs more than fat so you shouldn't try to just cut weight.

7. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

burning fat and building muscle (from what i understand and read) are mostly mutually exclusive

8. Seandq

Seandq Usertext for Rent

okay.

how would you say i go about both?
    i'm thinking about cutting all my portions in half and running every night but all that's doing is cutting fat.

what routine should i put myself through to gain muscle?

9. penisbird

penisbird Guest

eat less and eat clean. working hard in practice with sweats on should burn more than enough calories but that does not mean you should eat more. keep it even and good luck.

10. Seandq

Seandq Usertext for Rent

yeah i've been practicing in a sweatshirt the past few weeks and i'm noticing the difference for sure. that did help in cutting.

should i be following the EDUs on gaining muscle?

11. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

Weightlifting will help you be stronger but you should focus on more specific exercises for your sport I'm guessing. I wish I knew more to help you but I'd look around for a specific routine designed for wrestlers

12. Quiksilver

Quiksilver Guest

i don't know if you should cut that much weight man. especially at your age and height. you might still be growing and you might stunt it if you go that low. well i don't know...all i know is when i wrestled i was 5'6" sophmore, went down to 112lbs and i've stayed that height since. i also felt like crap.

13. Seandq

Seandq Usertext for Rent

Well I figure we do a lot of strength-conditioning in wrestling, mostly carries of our fellow wrestlers, but I need to condition and tone every part of my body.

I'm putting a nutrition plan into place now, but I need to find a sensible muscle-building routine. I'm talking to one of my buddies who's on a semi-pro football team about his so he's giving me some insight.

14. Seandq

Seandq Usertext for Rent

well i was basically told my doctors at my last annual that i shouldn't expect to be growing much more and it's just me getting to my healthy weight. it's not like i'm going underweight.

15. Quiksilver

Quiksilver Guest

i see. actually i don't know what your current weight looks like on a 5'4" frame. i guess you wouldn't be going underweight after all.

(i'd ask for pics but i can smell chris hansen's aftershave already :noes:)

16. Seandq

Seandq Usertext for Rent

:rofl:
    i coulda posted some in the weight loss challenge thread.

17. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

focus on losing fat and gaining strength

18. Seandq

Seandq Usertext for Rent

hm i like that, i might put that up on my wall.
    since i've got the week off for thanksgiving, i'm going out to breakfast with the family tomorrow.

goodbye pancakes and waffles.
    hello omelette and ice water :big grin:

19. BlackTheta

BlackTheta New Member

:werd:

20. Mippity

Mippity New Member

dude i am 5'4 and wrestled in high school. That size is almost unattainable for someone at your size. I am naturally about 145, but dropped down to 137 than 135 for wrestling season. My coach did say ideally I would be at 125 but that could have never happened. If you lose that much weight most of it is going to be muscle and you will be WEAK. You need your muscle and strength a lot in wrestling ... what's more, you need energy. If you plan to drop that much weight you aren't eating at all, broseph.

21. Mippity

Mippity New Member

btw you need to eat man. wrestling is hardcore cardio and if you include lifting with it ... you are not going to build any muscle unless you are eating more food than you are now.

22. Seandq

Seandq Usertext for Rent

oh i make sure to eat after daily practices along with my other meals.

and 115 is my lean body weight. it's a goal. anywhere under 140 would be preferable. but i'm not expecting to get down to perfect 115.

23. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

dude do NOT drop 50 lbs for high school wrestling... that is mad dumb son.

cut down to a smaller weight class maybe (like 150 range), or just bulk up and see if that makes you a stronger wrestler... what you don't wanna do is starve yourself and do lots of shit to cut weight while you're a 5'4" teenager.... I don't know if that shit about stunting growth is really true or not, but I wouldn't wanna risk it if I was 5'4". All of my buddies from high school who wrestled cut weigh tlike crazy like you are planning on, and none of them really grew beyond that point from what I see.

24. Sylva

Sylva New Member

25. Seandq

Seandq Usertext for Rent

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.