Cutting plateau...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by nerd9, May 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nerd9

nerd9 OT Supporter

I've been cutting ever since spring showed up and I've found my calorie requirements to maintain 187 lbs. at 6'1.

At first, the fat was visibly coming off very quickly, which was obvious from my increased vascularity and much more muscle definition.

In recent weeks, it seems like my fat loss has slowed down dramatically. I'm doing more intensive HIIT cardio training, but I just can't get my abs to show up or to make my muscles more defined.

What should I be doing differently, or should I continue what I'm currently doing? Is it a diet related issue? :hsd:

2. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

What is your diet?
    What is your routine?

3. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

4. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

If I was thinking today I would have brought my magic 8 ball it always knows all the answers to these problems.

5. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

there's always tomorrow :hsd:

6. atrax27

atrax27 New Member

I figured it out. It all comes down to metabolism. All of it.

After reading studies upon studies, one begins to see a pattern emerge in the backround. It is hard to see at first, but basically - metabolism sucks ass.

The human body is designed for a purpose: survival.

Everything that you attempt to do to your body that is in any way ,shape, or form different than what it wants to do is EXTREMELY hard to do and EXTREMELY hard to continue doing. Fact is: the human body loooooves fat. It adores it. It loves it so much, it wants to take fat behind the middle school and get it pregnant.

The same caloric defecit you put yourself on earlier has dynamically changed. It has lowered (thanks to your metabolism). You need to lower your defecit even more (little by little to be safe).
    In order to keep those pounds off after you lose them all? Go back to "normal" intake. Even then, in the first week back on normal intake you will gain fat, but after that first week, it should normalize.

7. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

thats why you need something extra.

try a thermogenic fat loss supplement.

8. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Maybe he has to go lower... maybe he could have to up the cals too.

9. nerd9

nerd9 OT Supporter

Morning:

1 hard-boiled egg white
    2 scoops whey in water
    1/2 cup Quaker oatmeal

Post workout:
    1 bottle of gatorade
    2 scoops whey in water
    1 apple

Lunch:
    1/4 cup of rice
    Chicken/pork/beef/fish
    1 orange
    1 cup of broccoli or another vegetable

Dinner:
    1/4 cup of rice
    Chicken/pork/beef/fish
    1 cup of broccoli or another vegetable

Last edited: May 30, 2007
  10. nerd9

nerd9 OT Supporter

Cardio (days 1 - 6)

Elliptical - 3 minutes warm-up, then 12 minutes of HIIT

Weight-lifting

Day one
    Deadlift/squat (alternate)
    Decline bench-press
    Dumbbell shoulder press
    Isolateral shoulder press machine
    Vertical row

Day three
    Incline bench-press
    Bent-over dumbbell rows

Day five
    Decline bench-press
    Dumbbell or cable flies
    Chest fly machine
    Incline chest press machine

Days two/four/six
    Ab and supplemental muscle work

11. nerd9

nerd9 OT Supporter

frankly i dont know what else i can cut from my already spartan diet except for the fruits, but i dont want my carb intake to be at dangerously low levels :\

12. crucialkc

crucialkc the earth is flat

dude you have plenty of carbs. cutting out an apple or an orange isn't going to put you at some risk unless you already have health problems......... ever heard of keto? sub-20 carbs per day....

you're fine.

13. crucialkc

if you decide to lower your calories, do so from the fat or carbohydrates, not the protein.

conversely, if you decide to increase your cardio, maybe try adding a bit more protein. from what I've read, if there is any macronutrient to increase while dieting, it's protein.. simply because it is the macronutrient that expends most calories to digest/metabolize/whatever

14. Cumstang02

Cumstang02 New Member

Any Keto diet i've been on i was well over 20g per day. Closer to 50-75 depending on if it was a training day or not. I tried to stay under 100g but as long as i was in Ketosis i was a happy camper.

15. nerd9

nerd9 OT Supporter

so to lower my body fat more, you would suggest for me to cut one of the fruits out of my diet?

is there anything else lacking or overwhelming that you see in my diet that needs to be changed to reach my goals?

16. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Maybe you are too low and you metabolism slowed down, maybe eating more will change things for the best. Otherwise... eat less carbs, more protein before cutting any more cals.

17. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

You have been too low for too long.

Basically, your body is constantly in "survival mode". When you go that low on cals you are going to shed weight at first. However, after a while you body recognizes a threat to its natural survival and starts to store more of what you eat and naturally slows down the metabolism. Slow metabolism = more efficient use of what cals the body is getting. This is good for the bodies "survival mode", but bad for your desire to shed fat.

The best way to combat this is to "keep your body guessing". Get on a thermogenic or some caffeine and Green tea extract and start giving your body more calories every 3 or 4 days or every 18th meal if you consume 5-6 meals a day.

This will help prevent your body from slowing down your metabolism and storing as a means of survival.

The body is pretty fucking smart and adaptable and it knows what it is doing. There is a reason people can survive weeks on end without food. At this point, it is your job to stay one step ahead of your body and keep it guessing.

18. nerd9

nerd9 OT Supporter

pretty insightful and makes plenty of sense. my next question is: is this normal? does everyone who wants six pack abs need to do something like this?

i had always thought proper diet + exercise + consistency/rest = a monster but i'm seeing firsthand that this is not true.

it seems like the solution is to throw my body a wild card every few days, but what should the contents of this wild card be? a lump of protein? a lump of carbs/cals?

19. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

There are many alternatives :
    - Carb cycling (http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=05-180-diet and another kind is in the nutrition EDU)
    - low-carb with refeeds (UD 2 by Lyle MacDonald for example, get the ebook on a torrent site but there are many other diets), it can be called a cyclical ketogenic diet too
    - TKD (timed ketogenic diet)

20. crucialkc

lately, i've been doing:

monday - training day/refeed (40p/45c/15f)
    tuesday - training day (50p/30c/20f)
    wednesday - off day (60p/13c/27f)
    thursday - training day (50p/30c/20f)
    friday - training day/refeed (40p/45c/15f)
    saturday - off day (60p/13c/27f)
    sunday - off day (60p/13c/27f)

keep in mind that these are approximate numbers and that I don't shoot for ratio %'s, these numbers just happen to be what I end up with at the end of the day.

21. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

At first I thought these were grams :rofl: I was thinking it was dumb unless you're a 70 lbs dwarf in his last week of contest prep.

22. nerd9

nerd9 OT Supporter

how's that working out for you?

23. crucialkc

haha

it's working out great! lifts have been pretty consistent and I've been losing 1lb. to 1 1/2lbs. per week.. gotta make sure your cardio and training is in check too though.

also, if you're going to consider adding a refeed day, make sure you refeed with complex carbs and protein and very little to no fat. the idea is that your body is pushing all of those carbs into your muscles.. and with all of that "shuttling" going on, the fat will go in with it. basically, it's even easier for dietary fat to be converted into bodyfat on these days.

if you do mostly simple carbs that day, you'll most likely be bloated as fuck the next day.. I learned this at the beginning of my cut. just fill up with tons of oats and rice!! leave the simple carbs to pre/post workout just like usual.

24. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Looks like you got it right !

25. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Just about any diet that works on a long term scale will have you manipulate cal/carb intake to prevent metabolism slow down.

On your "wild-card" days lower your fat intake, and up your carb intake as well as increasing your cals by a decent amount. Keep your diet clean still, but change it up. Also, I would consider getting on a thermogenic. This is going to help out a lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.