Cutting = Loss of Strength v.wtf

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Cyrus The Virus, Mar 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyrus The Virus

Cyrus The Virus Sha-Sha-Sha-Shiba

If I was never a believer of how important your diet is I am now. For the past month or so I have calmed down on my food intake compared to my bulking diet over the past 4-5 months.

My strength seems to be decreasing weekly. Is this normal when you are on a cutting and slimming diet?

Fuck I am frusterated :o

2. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

I don't know if i'm going to be able to bring myself to cut when the time comes :noes:

EDIT: Just quit cutting ;)

3. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

but the look you acheive after > loss in strength since power can always be upgraded.

4. Cyrus The Virus

I am just worried that my new diet is doing more harm than good :o

but if its just 'part of it' than I shall carry on

5. Kev07

Kev07 New Member

i start cutting this sunday, i'm scared T_T, spent a little over 1 and a half months bulking, and this sunday i'm gona cut.

6. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

Strength loss should be expected during a cut in most cases.

7. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

personally, i haven't lost any strength during my cut

actually, a couple of my lifts have gone up

8. UnleashTheBeast

UnleashTheBeast rawR OT Supporter

at first i wasn't noticing a loss of strength, but lately i have noticed some strength loss.... not sure.

9. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

10. Cyrus The Virus

11. phatmike

phatmike Thread Killer

WTF??!! You are never going to get anywhere if your bulk phases are a month and a half, and then you folloow it with a cut. Please read some of the stickies.

And to the OP, make sure you are getting adequate protein. I am usually able to maintain strength during a cut. Focus on the the big movements, and keep the weight heavy.

12. Cyrus The Virus

I'll be honest, its been tough to get the same amount of protein in without the calories. I need to work on this for sure.

Keep the weight heavy, maybe with lower reps? Throughout the bulking phase i was doing 5X5, maybe I need to change my reps/sets to accommodate my new diet?

13. phatmike

phatmike Thread Killer

Yeah, the most reps I do when cutting is 5, so like a 5x5. But I change it up and do 6x4 or even 8x3.

I don't know how much you weight, but let's say you are 200. At that weight even with 1g protein per lb of body weight, that's only 800 calories. I'm not sure what your daily calorie intake needs to be, but you should still have plenty room for playing around there. Figure out what you want to use as your caloric ballast (i.e. carbs or fat, for me it's carbs as I'll stay around 100g of fat daily and balance my cals with carbs) and go from there. The protein is always steady though...

14. Cyrus The Virus

you do 5X5 when bulking or cutting? I was doing 5X5 for the past 6 months while bulking. Does 6X4 or 3X8 work well for cutting or should I stick with my 5X5?

15. phatmike

phatmike Thread Killer

I've done 5x5 for both cutting and bulking. I think 6x4 and 8x3 both work well for cutting. That being said, I've used them when bulking too... I'm not against higher reps for cutting either, but I save those for smaller movements.

If you have been doing 5x5, I would say switch to something else, not because they are better, but because it is something different.

16. Cyrus The Virus

I have always been under the impression that high reps low sets is best for toning and low reps more sets was good for putting on mass.

Either way a change in reps/sets/weight is probably a good thing at this point.

17. cls

cls Though I have fallen, I will rise. Though I sit in

When I've cut in the past, I just tried to scale my eating way back. Sometimes I'd eat one big meal and that'd be it for the day... stuff like that. I lost a ton of strength & muscle.

This time, I planned out my diet for the first time in my life. I'm eating every 3 hours, eating stuff like spinach, oats, chicken breast, shakes, fruit, etc, eat about 2200-2400 calories a day (I'm 6'4"), and I haven't lost any strength at all. I get a little more relaxed on weekends, but generally I'm sticking to it. I've only been doing this 2 weeks, but it seems to be working much much better.

18. crucialkc

crucialkc the earth is flat

making gains in some lifts on my cut... at least on bench and other accessory movements. i haven't been able to hit legs in a long long time so I'm not sure if my squat/DL would have gone up or not if I had continued

19. phatmike

phatmike Thread Killer

OK, while it is true that certain rep ranges might be more predisposed to do certain things, I would you to burn that little nugget out of your brain. If you want to be "toned", reduce your bodyfat...period. It has nothing to do if you use pink little dumbells for 100 reps (not saying that you do that).

You can cause hypertrophy using any number of reps, not just low reps, and not just high reps. You can also gain strength using both. Certain rep ranges might lead to a focus on one or the other though, but have you ever seen a guy who benches/squats/deads big nukmbers who isn't big (or at least looks like he works out). It's that whole, if you want to look like you can squat 400 pounds, go get your squat up to 400 pounds kinda thing.

Your concern was losing strength while dieting, and in my experience, working with heavy ass weight and eating enough protein will help prevent that. This generally means that you will be doing less reps, and more sets.

20. Cyrus The Virus

Agreed. Thanks man :bigthumb:

21. phatmike

phatmike Thread Killer

22. 1.8t

1.8t Member

All my lifts decrease a large amount when I cut. No doubt because I lose 20~25lbs and add in a very rigorous running schedule as I like running in the warmer months of the year. However, each year when coming off the winter bulk, I am stronger at each weight increment than I was the previous year.

23. el es dee

el es dee ...through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain.

ive been cutting for 2 years and all my lifts have gone up

24. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

right now, i'm getting between 190-200g of protein, around 100g carbs, and the rest fats during a normal day of my cutting phase

25. PurEvl

PurEvl going out gassed and not half assed...

i dont get weaker until im about 7% or under, and none of the guys i train complaing about it either. Re-evaluate your diet to make sure your getting the right foods

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.