Cutting: from 185 lbs/30.4% BF to 166 lbs/20.2% in 4 weeks... lossing muscle?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Quick Silver, Jul 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quick Silver

Quick Silver Charging...

does this means that I've beed losing muscle as well as body fat? i calculate i've lost about 4.7lbs/wk I do no cardio just "heavy" lifting (usually sets 5-6 sets of 6 reps) watching my caloric intake lowering unhealthy fats, choosing my carbs and upping my protein intake, i'm taking no supplements other than my protein shake. my strenght has increased and waist size has gone down, but I'm wondering if I'm loosing weight too fast...

do this number seem like i'm lossing musscle mass?
    I certainly feel stonger, but the fast drop in size has me now wondering if I'm lossing musscle mass.

I tried playing w/the numbers following a friends instructions, but I'm not sure how accutrate this is,

- 3 weeks: 185 lbs x 30.4% BF / 100 = 56.24lbs total BF
    current : 166 lbs x 20.2% BF / 100 = 33.53lbs total BF

overal weight lost = 19 lbs
    total fat diff = 22.71 lbs

total fat diff - overal weight lost = muscle mass????
    22.71 - 19 = +3.71lbs? (muscle mass???)

is this the correct way fo calculating this?
    do this numbers sound accurate?

PS* weight ans body fat was measured using an electronic balance at the hospital I work for, so I'm not sure how accurate the BF% really is :hs:

2. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

If your numbers are the same or better, you didn't lose muscle.

3. Galt

Galt Mindless Philosopher

at 185 30.4% you've got 128.76 pounds of lbm
    at 166 20.2% you've got 132.47 pounds of lbm

so that would mean you gained 3.71 pounds of muscle

however, i don't expect that's the case. most likely, your bf% measurements aren't exact. nearly 4 pounds of muscle in 4 weeks probably isn't realistic.

4. TheMustafa

TheMustafa hook 'em

I dont think those bf% are accurate. However, the % change (10%) is probably relatively accurate. so:

10% change * 185lbs = 18.5 lbs fat lost

185 - 18.5 = 166.5, so if you weigh 166, looks like you've lost .5 lbs muscle, which sounds more realistic after a month of cutting.

still excellent considering you've lost almost 5 lbs a week, which is really fucking fast.

5. Quick Silver

Quick Silver Charging...

Thanks guys,
    so worst case scenario .5lbs of muscle isnt that bad, the good thing i guess is that my strenght hasn't decreased (in the other hand it has increased :)), i'll try to up my cals a little bit and slow down the cutting to inch my way to a ~ 10% BF which is my goal, and hopefully regain some muscle in the process.

any tips as of how to do this? most of my cals come from protein wich is the bulk of my diet, should I look into upping my carb intake or maybe adjust the amount of fats i take in daily, (usually my diet is really low in fat, other than my daily PB sandwich the occasional tuna snack and 1000mg of flaxoil + 5000mg of fish oil in capsule form) most of my carbs are from rice vegetables and the occasional legumes.

Finally, Thanks F&N for inspiring me to finally getting my diet and exercise routine back in order, after many failed attempts in the past to gain muscle and lose body fat and failing miserable due to going after it w/the wrong aproach (super restrictive diet + cardio and no weight training :o all of wich I hated)
    I've finally seem to have found the right track and I'm actually seeing results with a more balanced not too restrictive diet and weight training.loving it and feeling better than I have in years :hug:

6. TheMustafa

TheMustafa hook 'em

double your flax/fish oil intake and spread it out throughout the day

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.