Cutting experts-- a few specific questions for ya:

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by PaddoK, Oct 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaddoK

PaddoK Some dolphins get massacred, some dolphins get blo

Okay, I've never done a real cut before, but I've been bulking for the past 6 months. I have a back injury now keeping me from deadlifting /squatting fully for a little while, so I figured why not try and cut. I was skinnyfat before I started to bulk and still skinnyfat now (with some more muscle). When I started lifting I was 6'5" ~220 lbs, now I'm 6'5" ~250lbs. S/B/D is 315/225/375
    Here it goes:

1) I can't seem to find a reliable way for calculating maitenence calories. I'd estimate I'm in the high / mid 20's for BF. (I have no idea but I have small moobs and a belly) Typical skinnyfat guy. Looks sorta fat unclothed but normal clothed. I do a lot of walking too, probably 40 minutes a day to and from classes just spent walking. Can someone give me a rough target for maitenence? or do I have to just sorta play around with calories and see what works?

2 ) How many calories are burned by working out? I know it varies, if I can't approximate that, how can I work my diet around it?

3) During a cut, is there any point to doing 5x5 and max effort lifts, seeing as how I shouldn't be able to grow / gain muslce in a calory defecit? Or should I just do reps and work on getting my HR up?

2. hootpie

hootpie New Member

1) I'm a fan of what Chris3G recommended and that's starting at a level of calories that you think would be a deficit. Analyze your weight loss after a week or two of it, then adjust your calories accordingly so that you are losing ~1lb/week.

2) Someone posted a chart a while ago that showed calories burned for different types of workouts (ie weightlifting, cardio) and I think weightlifting was estimated as 500-600, but I would take that with a grain of salt.

3) When I cut, I did the modified Bill Starr 5x5 routine and it worked great for me. I lost 28lb in ~13 weeks doing that.

3. cassavettes

cassavettes Guest

1. you're going to have to play around, but generally for an athlete maintenance cals are around 2500 (roughly) but vary from person to person

2. depending on your workout that will determine your calories burned. For point of reference I remember someone telling me that approximately 5 carbohydrates are burned for every "average" set (1 x 10 reps).

3. When reducing your intake whether it be calories, carbs, fats, etc you're going to have a loss of energy. I'd say that you shouldn't try a 5x5 routine because you won't benefit from it as much as you would when you're taking in more cals.

If you want to get your HR up, cut down on rest periods between sets, and stagger your routine with reps, low-high.

just my .02

4. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

1. Calculations are a waste of time. Just keep track of your calories for a week. Adjust your daily calories for the next week based on your avg daily numbers. So if your weight stayed the same, decrease calories by 500/day the next week. Repeat until cut is finished.

2. Doesnt matter. As long as your routine is fairly similar week to week then my above advice still applies.

3. When you're cutting you don't want to use weight training to burn calories. The weight training should be used to stimulate and challenge the muscle you do have, thereby preserving the muscle you DO have. Your caloric deficiet should come from a reduction in calories as well as some cardio. Therefore, youre better off forcing your muscles to do as close to the weight as possible you were using pre-cut, and if neccesary, decrease number of reps. Basically, regardless of the type of rep scheme, try as much as possible to use the same amount of weight per set.

5. Raithan

Raithan :wackit:

For the calculation thing, wasn't the very loose rule of thumb something like 12 calories per pound of body weight and when bulking 15 calories per pound.. or something along those lines..
    Anyone?

6. PaddoK

PaddoK Some dolphins get massacred, some dolphins get blo

Thanks for the advice all, so does anybody have a consensus among how to figure out maintenance cals?

7. moses

moses OMGWTFBBQ

what were your #'s like as far as putting up more weight? were you doing any cardio? what kind of caloric deficit were you in?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.