Cutting: diet or cardio is the key?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Marijuanair, Apr 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marijuanair

Marijuanair Remember to have your pet spayed or neutered! OT Supporter

I know the answer is both, obviously, but lets just ask what is most effective?

I've been trying since November to get to about ~10 - 11% body fat from ~19%, and am making steady progress. I've used suppliments, a better diet, and a more active lifestyle to lose almost 30lbs and 5% bodyfat so far, but my progress really has slowed down.

The problem I'm finding now is I'm always hungry, and always craving junk, so cutting more calories out of my diet seems to be almost impossible. I've started upping my cardio, I jogged and power walked for 7 miles yesterday and did another 2 miles today (and plan to do more).

What can I do about my hunger levels? I hear fiber helps make you feel full, maybe I should take some fiber suppliments? Yesterday I ate a "tuna salad" that was 7.5 servings of tuna, 2 servings of lettus, and 2 servings of fat free miracal whip, for about ~650 calories total and 155g of protein, and I was STUFFED full to almost puking point and was still hungry so I went out to Denny's and got a brownie sunday :wtc: (which really hit the spot).

I try to stay "full" on water too, but that just doesnt work, any advice from cutting experts how I can stay in caloric-deficet while not feeling like a starving Ethiopian? I take in a ton of food every day, my diet is way protein heavy but I feel with my multivitamins and other suppliments I get all the nutrition I could possibly need for the day.

Hopefully this post doesnt sound too stupid, I've been posting some stupid questions lately :o

2. Werdna

Werdna Livin' the SLO Life...

in my experience, if you're starving all the time you're in too large of a deficit...fill up on healthy foods, keep exercise reasonable, and shoot for only 1-2 lbs weight loss a week

3. Marijuanair

I take in probably 2000-2500 calories a day, in "low calorie" foods, I eat a shit load.

4. Martyr

Martyr New Member

Huh?

5. Marijuanair

Like, my stomach was full but I still felt hungry, you've never felt that? Like, the food in there just didnt trigger that "awww nga" feeling.

6. Martyr

Martyr New Member

Like when you eat a bigger portion than you need? I always considered myself full when I could not comfortably eat any more, and the "aww nigga" feeling to come while I'm eating, not when I'm done.

7. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

How quickly do you eat?

8. Damnation

Damnation OT Supporter

diet is more important, i think. cals can be burned with a good workout.

9. Chris3G

Chris3G Bullshark Testosterone

i get down to ~ 10% relatively easily without cardio. I'm shooting for 7% this year, so i finally added in some cardio, starting last week.

Diet is definitely the most important factor though.

10. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

diet

you can do all the cardio in the world and lift like a madman, but if your diet sucks your gains will be slim to none (believe me, I know from experience)

11. Piracy

Piracy New Member

diet is the key to any fitness goal.

12. Kotu

Kotu OT Supporter

It's easier to cut cals than to do cardio, imo.

That being said, the basis to weight loss is very simple.

Calories in < Calories out

You want to up your calories in? Then you need to up your calories out too.

Eat more and do more cardio.

13. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

14. tkluu

tkluu New Member

qft

15. Hpower

Hpower GO GATORS

abs are made in the kitchen

16. hootpie

hootpie New Member

I'm on a 10-week cut right now with a strict diet and my only cardio is playing basketball 2 times a week for an hour. The only thing I'd worry about with cardio is making sure you don't go catabolic and start burning muscle for energy.

17. Gerbonium

Gerbonium OT Supporter

i know exactly how that is. i almost never get to the point where i feel full in my mind. the only thing i do is fell my stomach and how much it bulges out. luckily i lost enough weight last year and kept it off to be able to see and feel the difference.i basically just have to force myself to stop eating. its hard though, but possible.

also eat slower. im a fast eater (i dont understand how people eat slow) and i think that has a lot to do with not feeling full. ive started to slow down my eating but id say i still eat faster than average.

:werd: only guaranteed way to lose weight.

one thing u can do is put urself on guilt trips if u eat too much or dont exercise in a day. works for me

18. JoeyJoJoJuniorShabadoo

JoeyJoJoJuniorShabadoo Live Free or Die

diet, i used to do tons of cardio and saw no results. Once I got my diet down, the pounds came off easily

19. Dusted6969

Dusted6969 New Member

I agree diet was the most effective for me. Cutting out alcohol made the single most largest diffrence. Dropped 5lbs easy by just limiting drinking to a a couple times a month, its hard to do but makes a diffrence.

20. Dongsy Normus

Dongsy Normus fag

lol diet is more important, I say that because I do cardio even when Im bulking.

the two go hand in hand though and unless you know what you're doing you might not be capitalizing on them.

21. Elfling

Elfling New Member

You may need a diet break, honestly. Go a couple of weeks at maintenance, eat well, and then go back to dieting.

Cardio like what you've been doing is going to increase your appetite a lot. If you want to do it that way you can, but you're going to have to suck up being hungry. Also, long-distance running like that is very catabolic- you're going to lose muscle doing that.

You're craving junk- have you been trying to eat "uber clean"? Have you been allowing yourself cheat meals?

22. Werdna

Werdna Livin' the SLO Life...

i was eating the same number of calories and still lost too much weight too quickly...2-2.5k is not a "shitload" of food

23. DCyamaha

DCyamaha O-line found

agreed. diet is key.

24. Ro Cobra

Ro Cobra male slut

Diet is more important. Ive lost 8lbs in 3 weeks with NO cardio. Ive basically ate like shit everyday McD's, Wendys, Jack in da Crack Pizza Hut etc. Now Ive limited eating like that to one day a week.

25. Fishbait

Fishbait New Member

got some examples of things you did (with your new diet) to shed those fatty pounds?

i eat healthier than -anyone- i know and yet i can't seem to get rid of this subcutaneous fat around my belly.

switch things around and i know quite a few people who are nice n' slim and they eat like crap it seems. burgers, pizza, just eating out in general quite a lot. i hardly ever eat out. ever!

:wtf:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.