Cut to Bulk cycle

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by TheDanger, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheDanger

TheDanger New Member

When you go from a cut to a bulk cycle do you gradually up the calories to desired bulk amount or go straight to the amount you think is needed?

2. reminisce

reminisce OT Supporter

i'd gradually work them in as to not shock my body with a flood of carbs

3. smb is me

smb is me New Member

I went from cutting on 1800, to 2100 (while cutting cardio in half) to maintain for a month. Now i'm on 2300 a day with no cardio.

I'd recommend going from cutting to a month of maintaining, and then into a clean bulk. A few reasons for this,

#1) you just spent a period of time depriving yourself to get this lean. Might as well spend a minute enjoying your new lean physique

#2) Let your body get adjusted to this new level. And its probably much healthier to let your body "rest" at this level, then to say, okay, now i demand you work to get bigger. Less stress on the body overall.

#3) In letting your body adjust to this level, it will reset the "set point" of your natural bf level at a lower "set point". Now if you get down to 7%, i don't think you can condition your body to naturally be 7%, but you can probably condition it to naturally be "leaner" than it was.

[note: i'm not 100% sure that #3 actually happens. But I have read a clip here or a clip there about your body having set points, and that through training you can affect them. so this is where i picked up this idea. it could be complete bullshit. Hopefully one of the more knowledgable guys like PUR could chime in.]

#4) You have to figure your body out to go through an effective cut diet (hopefully). As in, at what levels of intake should I cut to in order to continue losing weight, while minimizing muscle loss? Now that you have done that, and attained a leaner physique you have to refigure out what your body needs. The maintenance month gives you this opportunity.

If you lose another pound or two during your maintenance month, no harm done, you've just extended your cut, and now have a better understanding of what yoru body needs.

If you gain a pound or two, no harm done, you have a headstart on your bulk, and again, understand what your body needs. (I gained two pounds on what i thought would be a maintenance diet, therefor these are the macros and calorie count i should stay at to slowly, effeciently add muscle.)

and if you break completely even, again, now you know exactly what your maintenance level is for your new body. Thus you know that if you increase by 150-200-250 calories you'll be right on track for successful, disciplined, clean bulk. which should be the goal.

my .02

4. TheDanger

TheDanger New Member

thanks smb. Im currently still cutting and have some BF to lose before I start my bulk. Once I get to my desired BF ill maintain for a month like you said and then work my way up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.