WEB Custom store?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by hurleyint1386, Dec 6, 2007.

1. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

So I'm looking into zencart, and it looks nice, but I think it's too much for the person who wants the site. He wants to do almost like a custom order page where the person has a bunch of different options to choose from, then they just pay using PayPal. I'm sure there must be an easier way than using zencart + an SSL because the SSL will be $45 plus the site would need to be on a dedicated IP, which is an extra $30 a year, and since he is just starting his online venture, he'd like to start off cheap and build up. What's the best way to do this?

2. LOLZILLA

LOLZILLA New Member

Not cheap out and be serious about it. :hs:

In my many years of doing this, I'm being genuine. :hs:

3. hurleyint1386

ok, so lets say i get him a dedicated IP address, but he wanted to do payment through paypal still, then what should I do?

4. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

Paypal's not a bad option for a low volume site, I'd also look into Google checkout. Taking credit cards directly requires him to have a merchant account and gateway, and all the fees will kill him.

I've never seen a host that doesn't offer cheap shared ssl certificates, which you can use if you go that route.

5. Insert Tokens

Insert Tokens Making Cancer My Bitch OT Supporter

There's nothing wrong with using paypal for a small site with just a few products. All the fees and charges in setting up a proper secured site with merchant gateway etc is sometimes overkill for someone with only a few products.

I've used WordPress to setup a basic site where an artist could blog about new prints and it automatically put in paypal "buy now" links from the template. Works ok, does what he wants, and he already uses paypal regularly for other stuff so it makes life easy for it to all go through their system.

6. hurleyint1386

the guy makes custom jewelry, so there will probably only be about 20 products at one time. and paypal doesn't really take out that much. so i might consider doing that. i just need to figure out how to do it. i've never actually worked with anything involving money

7. hurleyint1386

Ok, so I'm starting to re-visit this. I'm finally done with school for the semester and I've got 5 weeks off. I really want to try and help him get something up so he can start selling his stuff. I'm not really new to PHP or MySQL, but I am still new to credit cards and payments. I know it has to be secure. ZenCart is too much though. He wants a single form with approximately 15 drop down boxes for options, and each option has a specific price to it (or has no price, it's just for details). Once the person is finished filling out the form, there is a total at the bottom of the page, and they pay that amount. For PayPal buttons, you have to make a button for a specific item, and since they are all custom, the orders will be different very often. How do you guys set something like this up? I need help. I want to learn how to do this, and I will!

8. hurleyint1386

Anyone?

9. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

You don't have to use the paypal buy now buttons. There are other methods. You could add all the options and order info, then use a form to post all the order info to paypal which is pretty simple too. I can help you if you want, done all that before.

10. hurleyint1386

Help would be awesome. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Please teach me!

11. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

is it hosted on a windows server?

12. hurleyint1386

it's hosted on a linux server. Should I consider getting him a dedicated IP? Right now, I was thinking about using it through my hosting, but he said to let him know if there's anything that he needs to pay for.

13. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

No, you don't need dedicated ip/ssl/anything other than a basic host.

Here's a simple order form I found and modified to use paypal.

http://www.mojo3120.com/temp/orderform/form.php

You can download it here

http://www.mojo3120.com/temp/orderform.zip

It's set up to go to the paypal "sandbox". You can create an account there for testing if you want.
    play around with that and lmk anything u get stuck on or don't understand