Custom Shorty Exhaust

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by machine81, Jan 20, 2006.

1. machine81

machine81 New Member

I've heard rumors that the absence of a muffler can burn up the valves in an engine. Is this true? If so, what causes this mechanically? i.e. the reduction in back pressure, too much heat, etc.

Also, I'd like to take a stock SV650 can and shorten it by approx. half. Then powder coat it black to match the new black frame. Is this the same scenerio as not having a muffler at all? Will it ruin the valves?

2. bobomb

bobomb no torque, no care OT Supporter

A lack of muffler won't do anything to your valves. The motor will run like shit, and sound like shit.

Long term, no, its not the greatest thing for your motor but I don't see it fucking up your valves anytime soon.

3. trez157

trez157 You can't trust freedom when it's not in your hand

Werd, my muffler fell of on my ZX6D, and it sounds like shit. The other muffler is still there, so it sounds weird, and when i pull the other can off, it sounds like a fucking chopper. I noticed it runs slower, so Im not running til I get my replacement.

If yall wanna know, it fell off when I hit a pothole, didn;t have a way to carry the muffler home, so I left it, came back in my car, and it was gone. :rofl: I imagine some bum has it in his shopping cart and thinks it's a bong of sorts

4. Frequency

Frequency New Member

Incorrect, talking with a long time mechanic he said the only thing he could see happening with my bike b/c of the broken exhasust/muffler was my valves burning out on one side and the engine losign some power

5. machine81

machine81 New Member

What causes the valves to go?