GUN Custom ear protection?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TwistedMind, Jan 20, 2009.

1. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

Do any of you have them? If so where did you get the kits, or have them made?

2. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

I ordered a few from Cabelas. Gave one to my dad and kept two for me and the wife. We haven't done ours yet.

3. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

Sort of on-topic, but has anyone tried those hunting ears at Walmart? It's an in-ear bud that's supposed to boost hearing while supressing gunshots and anything over a certain dB level. Around $25 if I recall, seemed to be a good deal if they worked.

4. UberDuberSoldat

UberDuberSoldat Lord, beer me strength. OT Supporter

sounds badass....

more info, googling now though

5. sprite

sprite Active Member

I had a set made by an audiologist. They were about $80, including a hearing test. Most of the places that sell/fit hearing aids also do plugs. For the most part they just do the molds and send them off to a handful of companies that make the actual plugs. Mine came from Westone Labs.

6. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

I would lose them. :hs:

7. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

I had mine done by an audiologist after I found I have permanent high freq. loss in one ear. They cost about $75 and took about a week to get. They fit great and block out far more than muffs.

I use mine far more for garage work and they have a few advantages. They don't get grit in them like the foamies do so they don't hurt or have to be constantly thrown away and they are so comfortable you can wear them for an entire day without any discomfort. I also had a string molded into mine so I can keep track of them, I usually tie them around the end of my safety glasses.

They do make a hunters version that amplifies all sound under a certain db level, lets some levels through and then shuts off at a certain level. While they are idea for shooting I was told that they would not work for grinding and shop work since the level was not high enough to trigger the cut off, but the lower level for longer is still as damaging.

8. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

Alot of the electronic muffs have adjustable dB limits you can adjust, I think that was a feature on the in-ear ones, don't quote me on that though.

9. sting

sting OT Supporter

got some done at the gunshow this past weekend, have yet to test them out, waiting for my new toy to come in