A&P Curvature at the edge of a photo

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by AmosBanks, Nov 16, 2008.

1. AmosBanks

AmosBanks New Member

I went on a architecture tour in Chicago. I have a D80 and I used the 18-135 lens that came with my camera. Some of the more distorted shots are below as well as some that came out OK. Are there better lenses out there that will eliminate the curvature that shows in these shots? Did I just use the wrong lens? Thanks for the help!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

3. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

The 18-135 is pretty well known to have some optical distortion at the wide end, and it's the most obvious on the shots that you shot as wide as the lens would allow.

Unfortunately, you won't find a lens that has all of that range without the distortion. You'll prolly be better off looking for a really wide angle lens to compliment the 18-135 and using the wide angle for the architecture stuff.

A few of the popular ones are the Sigma 10-20, the Tokina 11-16 and the Nikon 12-24.

However, the easiest thing to do here would be to fix the distortion in post processing. In PS CS3, go to filters>distort>lens correction, and you can correct the distortion using that.

4. Bloke

Bloke Banned

tour? i go to the city every so often, is this a good perspecive, looks like you stayed on the river. any pics from sears tower? for some reason ive never been up there.
    id like to take my 500mm up there, but it never occured to me until just now

5. AmosBanks

AmosBanks New Member

I stayed on the river because it's a boat tour :) . There are doubledecker bus tours, bicycle tours, walking tours and even Segway tours. The boat tour is a great way to see the city and I highly recommend it on a warm day.

I've been to the top of the Sears Tower, but it was as a tourist and not during the 10 years that I've lived here. A better view is from the John Hancock Building. You get the same type of city views, but also great Lake Michigan views because it's closer to the lake than Sears Tower. Another secret is the Hancock is free if you go to the lounge/bar on the 96th floor above the Signature Room. The Observation Decks in the Hancock and Sears Tower both charge money and the lines are longer. Haven't been to the top of Trump Tower yet.

6. Bloke

Bloke Banned

ok have you any photo from the Hancock? there anywhere to park nearby:o

7. AmosBanks

AmosBanks New Member

I haven't been up there since I got my D80. If you're ever in town for the Air Show in mid-August, the Hancock is a great place to view it. The planes fly lower than the Signature Room height and it's cool to look down on the maneuvers. Only bad part is no sound so make sure you also see the show outside.

Chicago Ave is a good place to park. Start at Wells and head east. Good meter spots are fewer and fewer the closer you get to Michigan Ave. I also have pretty good luck parking on Huron.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  8. f/2.8L

f/2.8L New Member

Chicago FTW!

9. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

You need a tilt shift lens in your life.

10. terrycm

terrycm New Member

I use DX0 software for lens correction and photo optimizing for my company regal360. I am use to working with heavy distortion so I think you should be just fine with DX0. You should give the demo a try its free. You will be happy you did.
    Best Regards,
    Terry

11. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

I'm not sure if it would apply to daytime photography, but the method we use in astrophotography to eliminate vignetting and the other related lens errors is called a flat frame.

After we take our photos we then take a quick series of shots of something white at the same focal length and focus as the photos were shot then we use some software to calculate and negate the optical errors from our shots. It also deletes dust and other neat imperfections without effecting the image.