Current problems with P2P clients and protocols and how I will fix this:

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by userlain, Aug 16, 2004.

1. userlain

userlain I use proper grammar on the internet.

Foreward: Lately, I have become more and more agrivated with peer to peer clients and protocols. They all have several weakpoints that are not going to be fixed in the near future.

KaZaA, eMule, Limewire, etc...: All of these clients lack privacy. Sure P2P is supposed to be public, but there are huge security risks involved with being public; RIAA and MPAA snooping through your media list, ports being opened to attack and possible hijack. These clients are soon going to have their ass sued into oblivion.

BitTorrent: This is a nice attempt at trying to make a secure P2P network, but it lacks a critical component: there is no host software running in the background of the client machine so the client can leech as much as possible. Since the client is leeching and not uplaoding, torrents download incredably slow, and unreliable.

FTP: Ratio FTP servers have serious load bearing down on their prescious bandwidth. This makes them increadably slow.

Summary: Current file sharing clients and protocols are slow and unreliable.

I am starting a project to make a grid based file sharing network which will be secure, reliable, and most importantly; fast.

2. FULL-REV

FULL-REV OT Supporter

how long do you think its gonna take?

3. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Bittorrent does punish the user for not uploading. You get slow rates if you don't allow uploads during your transfer.

But good luck with your project!

4. NoLiving

NoLiving Guest

The reasons why your torrents are downloading so slow is because you're being choked. This is built in to the protocol to discourage exactly what you're describing, leeching. The higher your upload rate, the less you'll be choked.

I'd do a search on http://www.sourceforge.net for already existing projects before trying to build your own. I'm 90% sure there's already something like this being developed by several people, I suggest you check out those first.

5. UFO70

UFO70 New Member

I don't understand how people who use P2P systems complain that downloads are slow, but turn around and disable or cancel uploads. That's the whole concept of these things!!

6. UFO70

UFO70 New Member

So how exactly is your network system going to work?!? Are you really good enough to come out with another new P2P style network like torrent?

7. miller_bomb

miller_bomb Guest

if you don't like P2P due to protocals and security and fast ftp due to ratio's to avoid leeches. why not just IRC. atleast with that you don't have to give bandwidth like torrents, and u still get a good speed. and using correct settings you can remain secure of irc! and who doesn't like bots running on a 10mbit connectioN!

8. Fearan

Fearan Guest

BT is NOT an attempt at a secure network. If you think otherwise, then you don't understand the basis of it. I don't know how you'll find the required skills to fully build a secure network if you somehow see BT as an attempt at a secure network.

Pressing a button makes all the IPs of everyone sharing with you available.

9. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

I get 100k/s on bittorent.. dunno who you are... gotta tweak it.

peer guardian also helps.. blocks those nosy IP checkers.

10. userlain

userlain I use proper grammar on the internet.

HOw to make a peer-2-peer client that doesn't suck.

1: You need to supply the client with as many files as possible.
    Tracing would be the best method. Meaning everyone would have a list of hosts and
    when one client hails another client, the clients recieve eachother's host files and
    index them into their own host database.

2: You need to use a stable platform to transfer data.

3: The client's IP addresses must be hidden for security reasons. Proxy servers are too
    slow to help this.

4: Many parts would have to come from many sources so bandwidth is spread evenly.

Solution:
    client nodes: sends hailings to nodes and recieves data
    index nodes: serves as a gateway to other clients nodes. hosts data/ip tables.

Walkthrough:
    userlain.node hails uswest.index
    userlain.node sends its data list to uswest.index
    uswest.index adds userlain.node's data list into the uswest.index.database
    uswest.index sends userlain.node the uswest.index.database
    userlain.node uses client software to query the uswest.index.database for data1
    userlain.node hails client1.node for data1
    userlain.node hails client2.node for data1
    userlain.node hails client3.node for data1
    userlain.node uses client software to download from client1,2,3.node

indexfile sample:

indextitle time date
    "filenameW" filesizeW
    ipX portX
    ipY portY
    ipZ portZ

"filenameX" filesizeX
    ipX portX

"filenameY" filesizeY
    ipX portX
    ipY portY

(Note: IP broadcast addresses are encrypted addresses generated by a client and regenerated by the fileindex to give to the other client)
    Delphi. Written in Delphi.

11. NoLiving

NoLiving Guest

I want to know how you're going to send data somewhere on the internet without the client having an ip address. If you think you're just not going to display the addres I hope you realize it would take about 5 minutes to write a hack that would display it anyway. Writing it in Delphi doesn't make it secure.

12. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

No kidding. You are either going to have to expose the client IP's, or the IP of whatever machine is "protecting" those IPs. There is no way around that. If you use an intermediate machine, they (RIAA/MPAA/Satan) would just go after that machine, if you expose the client IPs, they go after the client and you are back at square one.

Waste was an attempt to adress this. You may want to look at what has been done with it before you proceed. Plus, what you have looks a lot like eMule or Kazaa. Client finds and queries a "supernode" or indexnode in your case, and the node points him to file fragments on different client machines.

Where is the protection?

edit: Almost forgot: even if you protect the IP's in the program, all a user has to do is run NETSTAT -a from the command line while downloading a file to see every IP adress he is connected to.

13. ParTyBoy

ParTyBoy New Member

Bittorrent secure.. WTF was he thinking :bowrofl:

14. ParTyBoy

ParTyBoy New Member

You are wrong on several accounts.. :rofl: