MIL Current Military "rules" you would like to see reconsidered.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by WildBull, Jun 2, 2009.

1. WildBull

WildBull Guest

With joking aside, can we bring up some topics that seem rather silly or out of date? It seems that throughout history some kind of event will happen and rules will be placed to prevent future occurrences. I feel like this is just a pyramid of control and the current military doesn't resemble anything like it did before.

What can you think of, or what would you like to see be over-turned?

Here's mine:

Chewing Gum .... unless talking to a superior
    Helmets while riding a bicycle on base
    Liberty restrictions
    Personal finance to where it can demote someone
    haircut regulations (marines anyway)
    field shave regulations
    calling people by their rank and or last names (i'm sure it's needed and serves its purpose though)

I'll post more when i can think of them

2. WildBull

WildBull Guest

oh.... mandatory PT.

I'm super skinny and I love to lift weights and gain weight. I went from 115lbs - 150lbs trying to bulk and the Marines love cardio so much I can't get any bigger. :madfawk:

3. greenpillow

greenpillow New Member

you know the pictures on the lawnmower that says not to stick your hand in the blade.. and you think to yourself... "why would they need to put this here its only obvious that you should not stick your hand in a lawn mower." well there are rules for these things for this very reason.. because most military people are not the smartest or the brightest.. so they need to have rules and guidelines for people to follow.

4. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

It should be easier for a reserve component soldier to volunteer to stay deployed when their unit returns to CONUS. Stupid rules make it almost impossible to do.

5. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

i agree with the personal finance stuff.

never got screwed with it but I had a lot of problems with bills when I first joined, was hard going from a pretty much straight cash job where I could pick up extra shifts and make more money to cover bills to a job where I get paid a pittance every two weeks. made the transistion though so I'm fine now.

I still see soldiers all the time getting article 15s for personal finance crap. poor guy is having enough problems paying for shit, now you're going to take his rank and pay?

6. The Weasel

The Weasel Lakers, Packers, Flyers, Backpacking, Halo Crew OT Supporter

The only one I agree with is Field Shaving. I can see shaving every 3 days or something or just trimming every day.

7. Off

Off Memento Mori

lol

No masturbation (''self-mutilation'' :mamoru:)
    No shaving your own head (same :mamoru:)

all the rest of that is pretty much decided at the unit level

8. Julius

Julius Guest

yeah, except no. rules are in place to maintain good order and discipline.

9. Julius

Julius Guest

i realize this. i'm simply saying that most rules exist for the aforementioned purpose, rather than for mitigating the burden on our supposed lack of intelligence.

there are exceptions of course. some of these rules cater to commanders who want clean and pretty slates, rather than the welfare of the personnel.

ex. we can't remove our tops and covers when working for 8+ hours in the motorpool. this was directed by our CSM who spends his entire day in an air conditioned office. males in the army can't maintain a haircut that diverts from a gay ass 82nd abn high and tight, but females are allowed to have a full head of hair.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2009
  10. Julius

Julius Guest

Also, fuck every officer that maintains a civilian-esque haircut and reams soldiers who emulate the same style. Set the example, cunts.

11. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

wat

12. tunes

tunes OT Supporter

so fuck me because i don't have a high and tight?

13. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

haircuts are the domain of sncos not officers

14. thekinggovernor

wearing of rank, especially in the field.
    blousing of boots, especially in the field

15. tunes

tunes OT Supporter

shining boots to fly

16. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

hands in pockets, especially when its cold outside

17. Julius

Julius Guest

i fully realize this, but it amused me when an O6 decided to scream at me in a DFAC and chase after me to critique a haircut that was not out of regulation.

18. WildBull

WildBull Guest

apparently this is a rumor, not a rule. At my unit, in the Marines... everyone outside will have their hands in their pockets... it's mostly officers and staff NCOs that do it. Ever since we got back from Iraq no one cares anymore lol

19. thekinggovernor

I would have been like :hsugh:

my best haircut story is when the dispersing clowns wouldn't give me money, money that I needed to buy rank insignia and get a haircut, because I didn't have rank insignia or a haircut. They didn't believe that I had been in the field for three months and it took some real shit talking before I got my $20 :ugh:

20. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

its a written rule by most base commanders in the navy, so snco's and officers like to enforce it outside in the winter in the smoke pits, cause its their job!

21. willijdub

willijdub New Member

whaaaaat??? when my time was up in iraq, we had the option to stay another year in country, or go to kora for 6 months. they couldnt make us and no one took those options, but they made it a very clear point that this was as easy as a simple phone call and wam bam your in iraq still man... wierd you guys didnt have this apparently.

22. DC9

DC9 New Member

You had the option to stay another year after you already served a full tour??? Did anyone actually do that?

23. willijdub

willijdub New Member

socom ftw!!!! i cant stand long hair personally, i get my 5 on top high fade no further apart than every other friday. i actually get made fun of all the time for looking like im "in the duece" (82nd abn) lol. but yea, i agree with that though. the regulation is like 3 inches on top not touching the ears??? thats the standard, let people grow their hair to the acceptable limit. getting bitched at for hair in those regs is like a cop pulling you over for doing 30mph in a 35mph zone. its just retarded.

there are many rules and regs that need updated for a 21st century modern army. should be big boy rules for all. if you cant maintain yourself with pt for instance on your own, BAM! gtfo free card with bad conduct attached. should be no reason for mandatory pt, but as known and stated, there is always that guy/gal who isnt committed to being in shape to accomplish their mission.

i guess this is my main problem with the military, out of date things that will continue to exist, just because if we switched to the big boy rules we would most definitely end up losing many troops. but if we could just stick it out for a few months-year or so, we would have an even better fighting force, with increased professionalism, as the new force wouldnt be bogged down with antiquaited rules/regs and would be able to accomplish the missions without micro management on so many things. it is obviously a pipe dream though to think this will occur any time soon. but thats my 2 cents.

24. willijdub

willijdub New Member

no, no one stayed. we had a shit deployment. if you recall my posts when i first got back from iraq... but yea, we had the option of another year in country, or some time in korea if we wanted. i thought that was the standard... apparently not.

25. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Helmets while riding a bicycle on base - Soldier in my wifes unit was killed due to not wearing a helmet. He was leaving mandatory fun, and was just riding his bike a few blocks to his own base housing when the accident occured. He lost control of his bike while trying to avoid a dog and went face first into a drainage ditch. He suffered a skull fracture to the crown of his head. Accident report found that had he been wearing a helmet his chances of living would have been greater than 90%.

Personal finance to where it can demote someone - Agree 100%. Never understood giving someone a article 15, and taking money from them, when they are being punished for financial issues.

calling people by their rank and or last names (i'm sure it's needed and serves its purpose though) - The rank structure, and recognition of it, is very important to the military. Especially when leaders have to make life and death decisions, and their subordinates have to carry out those decisions without hesitation.